Fisher and his 'Keep it Close Mentality'

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by rock8titans, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iQon

iQon Starter

When you're in your redzone twice to end the 3rd quarter, I'd prefer a touchdown inside the first 3 downs. On 4th, take the damn 3 points every time. This respect for Peyton is getting out of hand. Take your 6 points, go into the 4th with a very manageable deficit and trust your defense. Fisher is so sporadic with taking chances, his own players don't even know how to execute when they're called to pull magic out of their :grrr::grrr::grrr:.

Very poor playcalling. Very poor coaching to go for broke with so much time left. Once again, we look very dead in the water and our season will likely be over in 4 weeks.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Hers my coaching philosophy:

If you have players that can execute the plays in the playbook, then you call the plays that will help chip away at the yardage in front of you. (If you don't have the players in place, go back many many steps) We have those players ready to go right now, and maybe not next year after FA.

I understand throwing those phantom passes deep to keep people out of the box helps use the play action and run the ball, but it doesn't get you closer to a 1st & 10. It seems at times that Fisher and Co. like to call something to set something up later. That works only if your able to move forwards at will. The Titans needed every play plus some this past Sunday in Indy. So they couldn't afford to blow a 2nd down which they did.

If I were doing the play calling I would take advantage of every possession and march down field towards the end zone. That seems stupid to say, but knowing you'll F-up at some point in the game you need to leave a margin for error by relentlessly putting yourself in scoring range (FG or TD). Again, this sounds remedial but is true. Jeff and his staff fail to do this far too often. Fisherball blows in the pro's, and isn't cutting it.

Of course if we're 6-6 today Fisherball is great. But fact is Fisherball has never won much. And probably never will. I can't wait til 2012 when he's gone.

3. pettso

pettso Starter

This sums it all up perfectly.

4. Longball10

Longball10 Camp Fodder

I def dont question the idea of going for it on 4th down inside the red zone against #18 BUT after a timeout from the Colts, you throw a fade to a rookie(a good rookie, but still)?? I think that CJ and VY need to be the playmakers there.. Or Lendale needs to be in there to punch it in. Of course if it had worked we would all be here praising the call for Britt in the back corner of the end zone so at the end of the day could we really do it better? We could call great plays but if they arent executed we would be getting all this grief. Fact is we had 2 turnovers to their 0. It wont win you games in Dec against a good team. PERIOD!

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Because regardless of coaching style, common sense is still important. He showed no signs of it.
    Just like his crazy unlikely to work "trick plays" that he runs once or twice a year that has everyone thinking 'WTF?'. (see Chargers game a year or 2 back). One stupid play doesn't make everyone happy because he wasn't conservative for once.

6. Subjugation

Subjugation Starter

My issues are not with them going for it as I feel that was the right call both times.

My issue is with the plays that were called. Yes, Britt has the height advantage, but thats a low percentage catch and perfection was needed. Young to Britt is nowhere near perfect yet, so I dont like that call.

Then on the other one, it seemed like it was 100% going to Hawkins. There didn't seem to be any set up or alternate routes, the play was designed to go to hawkins and basically he was either going to be covered good(which he was) or covered bad. They seem to both have been very bad play calls.

Also in line with that Idea, I thing the plays leading up to the 4th downs were bad play calls. I mean you come out of a timeout, from the 2 yd line, and do a QB sneak? then you run cj up the middle, get a penalty, do something that any normal team could accomplish. I mean every team in the NFL has little play action/hit the TE in the back of the endzone, yet this team gets inside the 10 and reinvents the wheel every game or something.

7. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

My point was..even if the Titans were ahead in yesterdays game, he wouldv'e been content with being ahead and go into conservative mode and then put together a bunch of 3 and out drives.

It's the mentality I can't stand, not necessarliy in yesterdays game (although that was his thought process going into the game).

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Are you talking about going for it on fourth or the play selection?

Titans are down 24-10 with just 3 minutes remaining in the third.

1-10 IND 15: 9-yard run by CJ
    2-1 IND 6: CJ for 5.
    1-10 IND 1: Vince fumbles the snap.
    2-10 IND 1: Amano holds.
    2-11 IND 11: Young passes to Scaife for two.
    3-9 IND 9: Young scrambles for seven.
    4-2 IND 2: Fade attempt to Britt

Where is the bad play-calling here besides a very questionable fade on fourth down? How can anyone blame Fisher go going for it late in the third down by two TDs?

On the next one, there's only 10:41 left in the game and the Titans are down by 14. What does a FG do there?

1-10 IND 19: CJ for 2.
    2-8 IND 17: Short pass attempt to CJ.
    3-8 IND 17: Short pass complete to CJ for 3.
    4-5 IND 14: Incomplete short pass to Hawkins.

All high-percentage passes. Young made a poor pass or the Colts D made a play.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. cdubbs2121

cdubbs2121 Pro Bowler

ya with the colts you have to go for it, but im still going to put a lot of the blame this year on fisher for the teams lack of preparation at times, situational blunders, and lack of personal depth.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Fisher was a fault for not playing conservative and kicking the damn field goal. this is a strange week to be complaining about that.

Down 24-10 with 18 minutes remaining in the game we should have played conservative and showed some confidence in our defense and took the 3.

Then we would not have been forced to go for it on 4th down with almost 11 minutes to go.

2 FGs makes the score 24-16 with over 10 minutes to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar