First Metal Gear Review

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Gunny, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

You heard wrong. I beat the game with 21 hours logged in, and the cutscenes don't take up half. It's roughly 30% cut-scenes, it only seems longer because the last two acts are riddled with them, and the epilogue is close to 45 minutes long.

2. Toly

Toly Free your mind

Puck - I will have to disagree with you about the controls, especially the targeting. After playing previous MGS games (more recently MGS2), I can't believe how easy the controls feel in this game. It's crazy. Many things that used to be annoying and painful to do are now done by just pressing a button. It is also a good thing that Kojima realized that he needed to add game mechanics that are common in many games nowadays (3D camera, over the should aiming, etc). I do agree with you that some guns are too big when in first person view, but the over the shoulder aiming works perfectly IMO.

By the way, cinematics in this game are just mind blowing. I thought they looked great in MGS3, but this has easily surpassed them.

I've played close to 9 hours... I'm still on Act 1. I like to take my time with these type of games.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Search for it. Everyone says "half the game is cutscenes", even the ones that liked the game. This is nothing new though. It's metal gear.
    Reviewers werent even allowed to discuss the cutscenes.

Some are even thinking that since there was so little game-play, that this was just a tester for MGS5.

4. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Gloat, I PLAYED the game on Big Boss Hard, and it took me 21 hours. I have a pretty genuine idea of how much was cut-scenes, and like I said, it's only about 30%. On harder difficulties, the game will literally slow to a crawl (no pun) as you have to sneak past many parts. That makes the gameplay considerably longer on the difficulties most people on the internet (including reviewers who have to make deadline) got to play on. A normal run probably takes 14-16 hours, and yes, in that case, the cut-scenes will seem longer. Even my run is considerably shorter than actual play-time, as I tend to quit and re-load if I die or mess up considerably.

Bottom-line, if the game is played on a harder difficulty that decreases the run and guning on normal, then the gameplay outweighs the cutscenes easily. In fact, with exception to the epilogue, I'd say this game actually has less exposition than the other games (there's virtually no mandatory codec convos this time, which takes off a lot of time IMO). However, the game is far less accessible to outsiders in terms of story (which is, ironically, the opposite for gameplay on normal difficulties); that might explain the criticism of the story for 4. It's usually very easy to tell who is a MGS fan, and who simply isn't.

5. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Toly, I can see both sides of the argument about the controls. Again, it comes down to if you're a series veteran or not. This series doesn't play like most other games, so the learning curve can be quite steep for certain players. But, that said, the controls are EXTREMELY rewarding if one takes the time and patience necessary to master them. The controls are as complex as you want to make them, but the more advanced moves are a necessity on harder difficulties (i.e. CQC moves to incapacitate and disarm enemies, as opposed to just shooting them).

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Word. I guess if you creep through, you can extend the gameplay beyond 50%. That's still way too much movie for a game though. And rumors before the release was that there was a 90 min cutscene. I'm betting they chopped that one down before release.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

^ The rumour came out a week or two before release. They wouldn't have had a chance to cut it down before release without delaying it.

You are right, if you play Metal Gear like a FPS and go straight you'd beat it very quickly.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Rumour is Christian Bale will play Snake in the Metal Gear movie.

9. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

Christian Bale is a sick actor. Can't wait for the dark knight to come out, July 18th. And he was great in the prestige, and american physco.

10. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

They shouldn't do a live action movie, or a movie period in my mind. The game is its own entity and wouldn't translate well to the big screen. I love Kojima's vision, and I don't really want it altered, even if it were in capable hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar