First Metal Gear Review

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Gunny, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

picked up my copy yesterday

instead going on about the engaging plot, or gorgeous "cinematics" (as I'll call them because 'cutscene' just doesn't do it justice) or the soundstage (which is most excellent), I'm just going to get my gripes out of the way ...... so excuse me in advance

finally beginning to start the game, you crawl underneath a truck and down the street and BOOM! right back into pause .... it's nice to at least get a flow going before you stop it ..... later on they feel like they blend in better and you actually start to look forward to the next scene -----

for those wanting to continue on, there is now SKIP for these scenes (or has there always been ?, idk) the bad part is, that if you skip them, yes you continue a pace, but you also miss out on much of the story
    phone calls can also be FF or plain STOPPED ....... oddly I was at one point looking for a PAUSE or even a REWIND which actually could be quite handy and should have been a simple add - there's even room for it. the video function adds to the experience, but wtf is up with the ?equalizer?

they say they fixed the "crawl-sprawl" where you find yourself spread-eagled to a raging machine gun ..... I don't do it as much as in previous titles, but it still happens, at some of the most inopportune times ...... i think i'd prefer analog clicks for crouching/crawling and leave the X to something more useful ... maybe the controls are customizable ? if they are I haven't got to it yet, but would change a few things if/ when I do
    - that being said, the vast majority of the controls are tight ... but they're not "perfect"

the camera often feels like it's too close and it's a little flatter than it should be making some tasks and targeting feel clunky. alot of field items are pretty small, and I bet you'd miss some if you weren't using the "eye"

speaking of targeting, it feels the same to me. i've read reports that this was another area overhauled. to me it feels like hit-or-miss trying to shoot somebody .... the First-Person mode helps but it feels like the weapons are too big in the field of view, obstructing it from your target
    - I would have liked to see maybe a 3rd person over the shoulder look

after getting used to it, the menus and item / weapon selection HUD's feel comfortable - but it takes some getting used to, and I still cycle through backwards of my intended direction

This is one hell of a game ... with some twists (which both IGN and Gamespot for allude to that there are a few) .it is not a PERFECT GAME nor should it have been given a 10 ... same goes for GTA IV and Zelda, but it is a fantastic game nonetheless

I'd give it somewhere more like a 9.7

I should note that I'm just to the initial meeting with the RAT patrol and the Frog fight in Liquid Sun so I'm not really that far in .... maybe some of these concerns fade in the future
    I had to work all day today and will have to do so again tomorrow (Nashville Star on NBC for anyone into that), my next real shot at it is probably not going to be until later on Tuesday :irked: ..... but I'm looking forward to it :yes:

2. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Yeah, you have to take these reviews with a grain of salt. Not only because of the bribing issues (which has been been a proven practice), but I mean, it's only an opinion of a writer and his/her editor. Why are these guys experts, or why should I even care? I only read reviews to get a general idea of if the game is too tedious or has critical flaws. But for instance, one reviewer gave MGS4 because he thought the story was too much. So far, it has one of the best stories of all the games, which is saying something to a MGS fan.

Bottom-line, all these reviews should be taken lightly. After giving GTAIV ABSURD ratings, I think I've had it (that game is nothing more than an 8/10 in my book).

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i knew that, i just didn't have any rations to begin the fight and there's only one in the room when you start. i had to be damn near perfect, but i got it.

4. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Hey Puck, don't review the game until you beat it. The rest of the game gets progressively better IMO from Act I to V, and the story and gameply more and more dynamic.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Yep, Z. The reviews for Halo 3 should be a dead give-away. That game was a 7 in my book, but they all gave it 9.5s and what-not. Even the multiplayer was just average.
    And then as you mentioned GTA IV currently sits as the 2nd best video game of all time (according to all ratings). You kidding me? Its not even the best game of 2008.
    And if anyone can afford such things, it's the creators of MGS. They put tons of money in to silly advertisements, videos, etc just for the fun of it.

It's not an insult to the game, or even the reviewers. Give me a couple grand and I'll praise MGS for 10 years without ever playing it. Unfortunately, money rules all. And any easy way to gain more buyers is definitely worth taking.

6. Fry

well, just finished it.

i'll have to go back and play 1 before i give them a definitive ranking, but initially i'd say it would 4, 3, 1 and 2.

7. Fry

i just read if you have a dual shock controller for a certain portion of the game, there's an alternate ending....

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Evidence please.

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I'm looking for the one reviewer that was fired/quit because he was giving an honest review on a game.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

The Kane and Lynch one?

That was one theory (which I find most likely) however he was also meant to have been a real SOB in regards to reviews/previews etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar