Finny on his Potential Departure...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cozmicfool

cozmicfool Starter

This is actually the target range Finny's camp think he deserves to be in. The Titans on the other hand do not agree. In fact, this was the reason he walked out of camp during the offseason.

Finny agent demanded a number close to the JJ deal and the FO felt as though that was too much and countered so low that Finny walked out. I even remember the same article saying that the reporter asked other GMs if Finny was worth that kind of money. Some said yes and some said no. It really came down to what you were looking for. Those that said yes mentioned that Finny brings more than cover skills to a team. He also brings a fighting attitude that can spark almost any defense. I wish I had the link.

In any case, I would be surprised if the Titans offer up a contract similar to the JJ deal simply because if that was the case they should have done that 4 months ago.

I'm all for teams watching the budget and making sure they don't overpay for guys. However, if you say no to an offer then turn around and accept that same offer it just looks like you don't know what you are doing. Sort of like the NBA players in this years lockout!

2. quagliero

quagliero Teh Awsum

He had a down year by his standards last season, so I get why the Titans offered low in a hope that he'd accept. I know that's what I'd do. That's how all negotiations start (unless you're the Panthers and Charles Johnson).

Obviously Finny didn't accept the offer, and now his asking price has done nothing but increase.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Not entirely sure what you mean when you say "he doesn't have the strength", because Jason Babin is considered one of the leagues strongest men. Now his choice of moves makes him vulnerable in our new system, so maybe that's what you were getting at, to which I'd agree 100%.

We won't have to cut Hope, his contract is up in 3 weeks ;)

My stance on Cortland is, KEEP HIM!!!!! He'll give the Titans somewhat of a hometown discount, and there is NO player who will be available who can replace him. Sure Verner and McCourty can get the job done, but neither has shown they can play 16 games, and in this league you better have at least 3 solid corners. Campbell and Hawkins are coming along, but still on Moutons level, which is not good enough.

4. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

We need to keep Finny

5. JCBRAVE

I don't see why we wouldn't re-sign Finnegan, I mean we're spending virtually NO money on CB's. We've got tons of money locked up in our chit safeties, but not much at the CB position.

He's also the only Titan defender other teams fans know of, he makes us who we are. Without Finnegan, our team will take a step back, and thats even if we can replace him. There's only one Cortland Finnegan in the world, and we need to keep him.

6. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

We better resign this guy. He has been the leader on defense. The veteran to build around. The aggression we need. Pay the man. Besides he doesnt wsnt to leave. He has a freaking titan room that rivals any man cave. He loves it here

7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

If he wants reasonable money, then you have to keep him. If he wants crazy money, then let him walk. Verner and McCourty are both NFL starting caliber Cornerbacks and the FO knows it. We'll find out where his heart is.

I'd like for them to keep him, but if he wants the Titans to break open and empty the vault for him, he should think twice.

He is not worth Asomugha money. Even Asomugha is not worth Asomugha money. In fact, I cannot remember a recent "big" CB signing that has really paid off for a franchise. Asomugha? Clements? Asante Samuel? Broncos keeping Champ Bailey may have been the last great big money CB signing

They should be able to make him a very rich man and allow him to remain in Nashville.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Quick question. Is finny too small to play SS? I know he does real well with run stopping, just wonder if he could be converted, or if it would help.

9. tnfan47

tnfan47 Let's Get It

One thing about great DB's, they are true athletes. They can convert to any position in the secondary. Imagine Finny coming down in the alley busting someone from 10 yards away in the FS position. Hitting a WR attempting to catch a pass in the middle.... Oh man, they thought Harrison was a bad man. :grrhee:

Well nevermind, forgot about Griffin at FS. Sorry got lost in the moment.

10. JCBRAVE

You be the judge of that. Here is a list of some of the leagues better SS's

Eric Berry 6'0" 211 lbs
    Antoine Bethea 5'11" 203 lbs
    Brian Dawkins 6'0" 210 lbs
    Roman Harper 6'1" 200 lbs
    LaRon Landry 6'0" 220 lbs
    Troy Polamalu 5'10" 207 lbs

Titans SS
    Chris Hope 6'0" 204 lbs
    Jordan Babineaux 6'0" 210 lbs

Cortland Finnegan 5'10" 188 lbs
    I personally love the idea of moving him to SS. It would allow him to do a lot more than what he can do from the CB spot. He may not be big enough to throw his weight around, but he's always in your ear, and is experienced enough that he could do what Troy Polamalu does for Pittsburgh. Basically just be where he feels he needs to be to make a play. He's a great open field tackler with great instincts. Moving him to SS would also get our younger CB's on the field. It could also be a way the front office could save some money. SS don't make CB money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar