Finny on his Potential Departure...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

“You look around the league and see teams keeping core guys they want to build around. You can’t always give the Titans the excuse that they’re slow and they drag their feet, because at the end of the day I don’t think that is productive for guys in the locker room. …

“The last home game (next week) is going to be emotional for me because that could very well be the last time I put on a powder blue uniform. It is finally starting to hit home that this is a business.”

Titans General Manager Mike Reinfeldt declined comment through a team spokesman on Thursday.

In August, Reinfeldt said he intended to sit down with Watson to talk about a long-term deal, to see whether something could be worked out. Since taking over as GM in 2007, however, Reinfeldt hasn’t made a habit of extending contracts in season.

Link - http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...ssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports Tennessee Titans

2. quagliero

quagliero Teh Awsum

I sincerely hope he's just posturing and putting the ball in the court of the FO. I'll be be mad pished if we don't sign him long term.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Seriously? He is bringing this up and acting likes its a given? Kills me to see players start whining before the season is over about crap like this. He screwed up at the start of the year with his antics and now this crap.

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

What core players have the Titans let walk in recent years? Bulluck was washed up, Babin was a one-year wonder, Haynesworth was clearly a turd waiting to happen, Tulloch was only mediocre and the team wanted to upgrade. I don't see any true core players there.

I'm not sure the reputation the Titans supposedly have is deserved. I think the team will open the wallets for Finny.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. quagliero

quagliero Teh Awsum

I'd agree with you (although not completely with Haynesworth), we haven't had any core players in recent years*.

*That have reached the final year of their contract and left.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

He was probably asked a question and he answered it honestly...

I hope Toronto is right, because if he gets to free agency, my gut is that he is gone.

7. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

But def don't let this guy leave, he's the heart and soul of this team. cut that damn Center of ours and we'll b rich.

Put leRoy in the middle and bring in Valz - he's ready to ball. Also, i really like Otto, he could be our 6th, kinda like B-ball. This is basically for next year, but in the event of an injury, regardless a T, G, or C, with this personnel we could shuffle the line around and still be very productive.

8. quagliero

quagliero Teh Awsum

The first 'core' player contract extension this front office had to deal with was CJs. Now it may have played out ugly, but no one can deny we paid him and paid him well.

You've got to keep your own talent, I'd be very disappointed to see them not aggressively pursue this in the off season.

9. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

Statements like this make me question whether I would even want a player like this on my team.

Basically saying he's ready to leave before it's over then trying to play the victim in the media. Classy.

Just come out and say it.

"I don't want to stay here, and it's not even the end of the season but I'm already well-prepared to go. That said, it'd be terrible PR for me if I admitted it so I'm going to act like I'm emotionally torn about it so the team can take blame when I turn down completely reasonable offers in the off-season."

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Actually go further back all the way to the team coming to Nashville. People like to jaw about how the team has lost all these stud players and how the FO is cheap but there really isn't anyone we can point to and say that guy should have been kept.

In reality we have brought some decent FAs in but haven't lost guys that were really worth keeping. Babin right now is the biggest loss IMO simply because we don't have a pass rush and he is still playing at a high level. Obviously silly to let him go for the pretty cheap price it would have taken to keep him. AH maybe works out if we kept him, maybe not but who in their right mind can say he isn't a blue ribbon turd. Kearse was never the same after his injury. Who did we really lose that turned out to be a real stud?

Now of course we did have to cut some guys because of the salary CAP but one of the reasons those guys had to be cut was because of all the money spent on them earlier (when they were extended). Maybe in hind sight Mason is the only guy we should have bent over backwards to keep.

IMO Finny is one of the few legit vet leaders on this team and we need some of those guys. He is to this team what KB used to be. A solid high performing professional. Is it the end of the world if he moves on? Probably not since MR has a knack for finding talent in the draft at CB. Verner and McCourty were 4th and 6th round picks. Campbell (7th) might even be a good pick and I really like what I've seen from Hawkins (UDFA). But I have no doubt Finny will continue to play at a very high level no matter where he ends up and he is one of the few FA we really should try to hang on to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar