Finnegan to Train with Chad Johnson

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Naw - don't get wrapped up in this again this year..
    -Chad is still signed through 2012.
    -TJ is leaving via free-agency which means Cincy needs him more now than last year.
    -This would require TN to give up something significant via trade, which we know won't happen.

TJ has more left in the tank than Chad
    TJ Doesn't head straight for the sidelines after the catch like Chad
    TJ will block, Chad won't
    TJ doesn't come with "Chad baggage"
    TJ won't cost us a 1st or 2nd rounder

Either would be more than TN is willing to pay, but TJ would be the better choice.
    Of course TN could have signed Chris Henry for the league minimum last season if they
    wanted a Bengal WR that bad..

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Nah, the Bengals paid us back last year by whupping the Browns so we could get into the playoffs. I'm cool with them. Now, another team in that division is a different story.... :grrr:

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I agree TJ probably has a longer shelf life at this point, but overall, I think Chad's skill set is more in line with what the Titans need. Also, I would say it depends on the QB. If Collins is the QB, I would agree that TJ is better. If VY is the QB, I would want a receiver like Chad Johnson, or Braylon Edwards (another AFC North receiver who was not had the best experience in his current city), who had a little more athleticism and improvisational skill. (I should mention, I forgot until a few days ago that there was news during the season that Braylon and KII might not be back in Cleveland next season.)

As far as how expensive each would be, believe it or not, 85's contract looks a little more like Tony Gonzalez's at this point. From a 2006 article I found:

"Johnson will receive a $5 million signing bonus, a $250,000 reporting bonus, a $250,000 workout bonus and a base salary of $2.75 million for 2006. That base salary is the same as he was scheduled to make under his previous contract. In 2007, he is due a $3.5 million option bonus, a reporting bonus of $1.5 million, a $250,000 workout bonus and a $2.5 million base salary.

The base salaries for the balance of the deal are as follows: $3 million (for 2008), $4.5 million (2009), $5 million (2010) and $6 million (2011). There are workout bonuses of $250,000 in each of those seasons. If the Bengals do not exercise the option for the 2011 campaign, they must make Johnson a non-exercise payment of $3.5 million. "

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2415464

TJ is projected to sign at $8M per, and at this point, Chad is not close to that number anymore. His extension was around a $6M/yr. average. He would have to get another to surpass TJ's new salary.

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Uhhh....I think you got that backward, dude. Pay Al, cut Collins, get Chad, if it's gotta be like that.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Even if you get the salary to work you're talking FA signing vs Trade. Mike Brown is committed to keeping Chad around. Bengals will be compensated.. Not to mention Chad's shoulder problem and production drop.
    Dude has many question marks..

6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Why not roll into 09 with no QB at all!

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

The QB-WR situation is really interesting this year. What we need in WR depends on what happens at QB. I don't think we'll ever see VY start again, so we can direct our WR efforts at speed and route running. If Collins goes and Simms is where I think he is, then I bet we see Simms at number one- especially if we have drafted speed/route running at WR.

If Simms isn't, then I bet we go possession type WR and/or jump ball slot guy or TE in the draft to catch VY's off target floaters.

The fact that they are letting Scaife test FA (and let Ealy go) tells me a lot about what Fish/Dinger are thinking about Vince.

If we were to get TJ (or less likely Chad) then I expect to see Simms starting sometime next year.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I want to see Neil O'Donnell get his Super Bowl ring with the Titans. :grrhee:

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Well, it's kind of for those reasons that Johnson could be vulnerable. Marvin Lewis is gone, the new offense may not want him. The Bengals may think that Johnson is not really worth the headache given his production. They were tabbed as officially heading into rebuilding mode, and may want to get some additional draft fodder. Also, this is the first year that, from a cap standpoint, trading Chad becomes more manageable for them. Last year, there was discussion of trading both TJ and Chad, so I don't see why this year makes Chad any less tradeable to them. If they base it off last year, or feel he's at a lesser level now, they may decide to move him. Plus, the Bengals have the #6 pick. They'll probably go OT, I would guess, but they have choices and some leverage. They could decide to move Chad, take that pick or another pick and package it with their first and move up for Crabtree. They are a team that's within that range. If the Jaguars were going to do it....why not? They're losing TJ anyway. Why not get Carson Palmer a weapon, despite the fact that he needs protection?

10. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Huh? Did I miss something? Last time I checked both Marvin Lewis and OC Bob Bratkowski were still in Cincy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar