Fines - Fixed vs %?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Nov 10, 2013.

?
  1. Percentage based

10 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Fixed amount

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Do you guys think a fine should be a percentage of someone's salary or a fixed amount as is now?

Personally, I really don't think its fair to dock someone who makes what, 500k a year, the same as someone who makes 10M. I know it would be extremely complicated if a percent system was implemented, but still, I think it would be more fair.

Players are paid 'per week' correct? So it can be the same concept but instead of a fixed amount, rather a percent of his weekly pay. Also, the same concept would apply, repeat offenders are subject to higher percentages....

What do you guys think?

2. titan_fan_4ever

There was also a pretty cool article that Richard did for ESPN.

Link - http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/06/richard-sherman-if-i-was-commissioner/

I’m Richard Sherman. I’m a guy who plays cornerback for the Seahawks, who makes $550,000 a year to control a small sliver of one of 32 NFL fields on any given Sunday. But let’s imagine, for a moment, I’m a much more powerful man, one who earns a salary—$30 million—higher than the best-paid player in the league. I’m the man who, for better or worse, holds the future of pro football in his palm.

I’m the commissioner of the NFL.

It’s a difficult job, I’m sure, working for the owners while looking out for the welfare of the players. It always seems like a happy balance is being struck in late April, when a parade of draftees crosses the stage at Radio City Music Hall, each one giving Roger Goodell a handshake and a hug after his name is called. But for the rest of the year it’s clear that the interests of the 1,700 players pale in importance to those of the 32 owners.

But I, Commissioner Sherman, am here to fix that, so let’s get started.

The first thing I would do is give up some of my power. I’d leave the whole fine system for on-field actions to a committee of former players and former coaches. I’d create a system of checks and balances, something like a democracy. (Crazy, right?)

If I were commissioner, I’d listen to Brandon Meriweather because he’s expressed something that many players think but are afraid to say. When the Redskins safety said he was going to start targeting the ACLs of offensive players, his message was understood by his peers but confusing to fans and media. The defenseless-receiver rule is forcing tacklers to target knees. Offensive players bend down to protect their knees, and if we target the waist, we collide with their heads and get fined. If we target the knees, we don’t get fined, and sometimes they don’t get up.

3. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

it should be percentage based on salary. There is a wide gap from those that make millions and league minimum. I think that is the only fair way to do it. These fines are out of control, and a lot get rescinded after the fact.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Sherman would get my vote.

God'hell being paid $30 million a year is disgusting. The arbitrary red headed step child is pulling in $576,923 a week.

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

This Goodell hate is really getting out of control...

Goodell does not make the rules, the Competition Committee does (see here who you should blame)
    Goodell does not enforce the rules, the Officiating Department under VP Dean Blandino does
    Goodell does not decide on fines, VP of Football Operations Merton Hanks does
    Goodell does not decide the amount of the fines, it's in the CBA agreed to by the NFLPA
    Goodell does not handle appeals of fines, Art Shell and Ted Cottrell do

Goodell is very much a figurehead, a go-between the owners and the players and has no real power.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I think fines should be a fixed thing. Usualy the top dollar earners play within the rules, so a guy earning $10,000,000/yr and paying $1,000,000 for something like a personal foul is crazy.

7. titan_fan_4ever

that's actually disgusting....

i mean i know he gets 30m a year, but when you put it like that... just ludicrous...

8. titan_fan_4ever

LOL it would never be 10% of your yearly salary... in fact it could never be done with yearly salaries.

For example, lets say it's a 1% fine instead of those 10K/15K fines flying around...

A 3rd year player with the league minimum (630K per year) would pay $6,300 for it, which seems fair. A 6th year player with a new contract getting him 8M a year would pay $80,000, which is insane....

Aren't players paid per week. Like that guy getting 8M a year actually gets 'X' every week? Working from there would be much easier than having to deal with yearly salaries.

Don't get me wrong it would still be hard and extremely complicated to set up. And in the end you can just make it .01% instead of 1% if you really wanted to work with yearly salaries. But I feel it would just make more sense dealing with weekly pays and if it was percent base...

9. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

:toast:

10. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

So you're telling me he has no power, no authority, no veto power on ANY decision these other clowns make?

Why stick up for this dickface?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar