Feelin' a draft?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 757Titan

757Titan We had zero pro bowlers

Pats only took OL a couple years ago bc they couldn't find a trade partner, Steelers have no holes except OL past couple years, and Ravens, well that was a premier LT not a C or G. Your point does not validate anything. They have also been drafting later than #20 just about every year.

2. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I would take that bet since the probowl is about to be eliminated :D

But even still DeCastro will make more probowls simply because he plays for the Steelers, not necessarily because he is a better player

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

The Ravens took Ben Grubbs in the first and he is an OG not a LT. They also took Oher in the 1st as well.

Your statement made it sound like only the Fins and Browns would take interior OL in the 1st. I was just pointing out that actually some very solid franchises have spent 1st rnders on interior OL. Their is absolutley nothing wrong with getting a solid starting interior OL in the 1st rnd.

Maybe those teams draft later than 20 because they make smart draft picks like taking OL when needed.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Since football is played outside the hashes nowadays, or so we keep hearing that, interior linemen wont be coming off the board before 20 anymore.

I have no problems with Kendall Wright whatsoever, and even though it was a weird pick to most people, it'll work out for us.

Before we grabbed Wright, we only had 2-3 WR's we know can play at a high level, and with Kenny's injury and Nate being banged up most of last year, WR wasn't a bad pick. Not the pick I would have made, but still a good pick.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. 757Titan

757Titan We had zero pro bowlers

Grubbs was taken 29 overall not even close to 20, and that was 5 years ago... Not that recent in terms of how the NFL has been changing. And I agree, there is nothing wrong with getting a OL in the 1st. However, I believe it would be foolish to get an interior OL in the mid first when we have several other positions lackIng impact players. It's not like we were one game short of the superbowl and our HoF guard is retiring. You have to think in terms of what the NFL is today.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Where did the Hightower love come from? He doesn't fit this defense at all. He's not going to play the weakside and McCarthy is already an animal in the middle. Why move a guy you know is already a player? Hightower isn't going to cover on third down when Ayers rushes, so he won't be playing in nickel situations unless he's also putting his hand on the ground.

That pick would have absolutely no sense.

7. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I totally agree with you and I didn't expect the Titans to draft him because of scheme/fit issues.

Personally I want the Titans to switch to the 3-4 or a 5-2 hybrid scheme and Hightower would be perfect in either of them.

Hightower is just a good old fashion football player and I like those guys on my team.

8. pettso

pettso Starter

Here's my somewhat of a rebuttal:

Pick 1:

Munchak told everyone he wasn't gonna draft OL in the first round... why is everyone so shocked we didn't take DeCastro? He's good but at 20 you can get bigger impact players.

Hightower? Really? You're gonna draft someone that plays the exact same position as McCarthy, your breakout defensive player? Are you gonna make him play a new position? There was no way we were gonna draft Hightower in the 1st, he doesn't fit our team at all. They're not gonna move McCarthy and they're not gonna draft someone at 20 and play them out of position.

IMO, the first pick on their board was between Mercilus and Wright and they thought Wright was better. I'm fine with that, despite what most people think, WR was actually a pretty big need for this team. Britt hasn't shown he can stay healthy and last year that cost us a trip to the playoffs.

Pick 2:

Konz was a good value at 20 in the 2nd round and I'd agree that it would have been a solid pick. I also think they would have made the pick if they didn't have a solid backup plan. Whether that's Velasco, Matthews or they think Hutchinson's leadership will spark Amano, I don't know. I think they'll see a lot of complaints if they start Amano again and nothing improves.

Zach Brown I'm pretty torn on. He fits a need, not necessarily an immediate one but Witherspoon won't be on the team for long and he's getting old. McRath sucked when he played after all the hype he got. We needed a coverage LB pretty badly and hopefully Brown delivers there. The biggest issue from watching his highlights and reading about what his coaches said about him being allergic to contact. The Titans brought him in for a pre-draft visit so I assume they knew exactly what they were getting with him.

Would I have drafted Brown, no. With Still, Konz and Lavonte David on the board, I would not have.

Pick 3:

Everyone's happy with Martin so I won't even go into this one.

Pick 4:

I'll admit I had no idea who Sensabaugh was when they said his name. All I knew is he was graded as a 6th-7th rounder that had blazing speed. He played 5 years in college and only managed to start in his 5th year, where he did well. He held Alshon Jeffery to 2 catches when they played and he seems like a very humble kid (there's a 6-7min interview with him talking about the Orange bowl) that's gonna put the work in. Overall, I have absolutely no idea whether this was a good/bad pick, I don't mind picking a CB in the 4th.

9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

We passed on a strong smart proven guard in DeCastro and a strong smart C in Konz. They would have done more to improve Locker's and both the offense's and defense's performance than who we picked. We might not regret it next year but we will definitely feel it in 2013-6

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I would've considered Hightower only because I think he has a multiple pro bowl future.

It doesn't fill as much of a need as even Kendall Wright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar