Feelin' a draft? Rnds 1-3

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Gut, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Here's my take on the Titans draft picks...

Rnd1 - WR Kenny Britt - 6'2"+, 218lbs, 4.47 40 (High 2nd on my board)

What's to like? Britt has excellent size (height and weight) for a WR and a 4.47 is pretty good speed. Add in 23 reps on the bench and a 37" vertical and you have a very good athlete. He also translates that athleticism onto the field. He combines that with good route running, big play ability in the passing game and as a run blocker, and you find a college WR has very good college stats and was his team's unquestioned #1 WR! His upside is probably Plaxico Burress in his prime...a top 5-10 WR in the NFL.

What's a concern? Britt has had some prima donna in his college days...not always playing 100% when he didn't get the ball and rumors of coachability issues. In addition, he's not a natural hands catcher. Passes thrown between his waist and shoulder tend to get 'cradled' into his body. This translates into inconsistency in catching the ball. Britt has made strides in this area, but even as late as the combine, he still does it when he has other things to think about (ie...is the defender about to drill me...am I gonna have to tap my feet to catch it in bounds). And while Britt has a wonderful example of his ability to knock a defenders head off in the run game, these come more when he's crack blocking and the defender doesn't see him coming. He's only a solid run blocker when squaring up though miniature CB's he can eat for lunch.

What does he need to do? To get on the field, he'll need to be more consistent in perfecting his routes, work on his run blocking, learn the playbook inside out and have the same humbleness he displayed in his press conference. Has more upside than Maclin and Nicks...but also has more downside potential.

Rnd 2 - Sen'Derrick Marks - 6'1"+, 301lbs, 5.00 40 (late 3rd on my board)

What to like? Marks is a rare 300lb football player that has the ups to dunk a basketball at only 6'1. Thats shows impressive lower body explosion. His short and squatty build gives him an immediate leverage advantage and he has long arms for his height. He also has good lower body power. Marks has shown he can be a dominant player in college even against very good competition (3 solo, 7 total tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks in one game versus LSU). He can be a penetrating and disruptive force in the offensive backfield...Titans style. He has above average explosion off the ball and can make plays in the box. He is a natural football player with a knack for the game.

What's a concern? Mark has clearly had a list of injury problems...hernia, 2 high ankle sprains, hamstring (combine) and hamstring (pro day). He played with the two ankle sprains showing his toughness, but he was mostly a non-factor. And speaking of non-factor, even when healthy, he could be put on the side of a milk cartoon. While he showed he can dominate an LSU, he has also shown he can disappear against a nobody. And against Georgia in his final game...Moreno ran for 134yds, a 6ypc and Marks had no stats (but played). Did I mention non-factor? In addition, 5.00 40 is slow for a 300lb penetrating DT. Perhaps worse is his 7.80 cone drill (on healthy ankles). To put that in perspective, Jerry and Hood (also 300lb penetrators) both were .5 seconds faster. That is a HUGE difference. Additionally, Marks doesn't have much of a pass rush repetoire and tends to not shed blockers once engaged. He also doesn't frequently play with a sense of urgency on the field (no stamina and doesn't really chase outside the tackles) or off it (the opposite of gym rat...16 reps on the bench for a 300lb DT is terrible).

What he needs to do? He needs to become an NFL player...workout HARD, play with high effort on every play, and take Washburn's guidance as DT gospel! Put another way - as one poster here said - he needs to let Washburn chew him up, spit him out, and turn him into an NFL DT. He is very raw right now on technique, athleticism, body definition, and needs to upgrade his motor from a 1994 Honda Civic to a 2009 Porsche 911 Turbo. Since he is a good run defender when his technique is right, he could get some reps. But if his strength and technique don't rapidly improve, he will live in Washburn's doghouse and could see Vickerson taking a significant amount of his playing time. He is a high boom/bust player. If he puts it all together, he could be a top 20-30 DT. If not, he could be out of the NFL in a few years. For a guy with his talent (first rnd), he doesn't have the stats, durability or improvement from year to year of a first or second round pick. That needs to change NOW!

Rnd 3 - Jared Cook - 6'4"+, 246lbs, 4.49 40 (Late 2nd on my board)

What's to like? The Freak II. He has crazy measureables as an athlete. Not many TE's can run a sub 4.5 40...Cook can. He ran faster than all but 14 WR's at the comine (including Britt and Nicks). Reportedly he's run as fast as low 4.4's...which is burner speed for a WR. Cook used to be a WR which may explain why he's so fluid on game film running routes like a WR despite being close to 250lbs. In fact, Coach Spurrier compared him to Calvin Johnson...and he wasn't kidding! Along with the super 40, a 1.50 10 yd sprint (fast for a WR), a very good 23 reps on the bench, and an absolutely ridiculous 41" vertical for a near 6'5 player with extra long arms and huge hands (over 10"). Can you say MISMATCH on a jump ball? I can! Ta boot, he has nice hands and catches the ball very well with great run after the catch ability. A superb athlete who showed in college he can beat anyone at anytime for a big play! Hall of Fame upside.

What's a concern? For a guy with that super elite level of athleticism, he should have ridiculous stats but he doesn't. They also flexed him out wide a lot...like we used to with Wycheck...so he's not used to blocking out of a 3 point stance next to an OT. Even from a 2 point stance his excellent strength doesn't translate into pancakes of smaller and weaker players. And his route running leaves something to be desired. He can show flashes of exploding out of his cuts, but generally relies on the huge athletic difference to dominant players in spurts. May need to turbo charge his motor as well...especially on run downs as a blocker. Downside is classic tweener syndrome...doesn't really fit into an offense and only a situational player.

What he needs to do? He needs to learn the offense, perfect his route running, and take a crash course on being a solid run blocker as an NFL TE and turbo charge his effort/discipline. The coaching staff also needs to create packages for him...especially on short yardage and in the red zone. No defense would dare put 8 in the box with Cook on the field as no LB or S can run with him or outjump him for the ball. If he can learn how to run block effectively and maximize his ability like Frank Wycheck, he could be the next Kellen Winslow and a Hall of Fame player. Did I mention absolute nightmare for opposing defenses? Great upside with a little downside potential but still very raw.

Ryan Mouton - 5'9", 187lbs, 4.47 40 (late 4th on my board)

What's to like? Mouton is a high effort player and is aggressive. Even though 4.47 speed is fine for a CB, he likely runs faster. He pulled his hammy while running his 40 at the combine (and still finished it at 4.50) and did it again while running a faster 40 at his pro day. Still, 1.49 10 yd burst is excellent. And to combat his height deficit, he has an excellent 39.5" vertical and did a solid 18 reps on the bench. He's played both Nickel and Outside CB so he's versatile as well as could become a dangerous return man. Will remind you of Finnegan at times. Could be our next Finnegan if he develops and gets coached up well. Has also played a little offense and could become our next Carr on kick returns.

What's a concern? Guys with very good to great measureables who lack the commensurate stats are a concern. He only earned a starting job on the outside for one year. Why? While he is aggressive and the Titans like that in the secondary, he can have trouble not getting blocked out of plays by WR's and despite his vertical and strength, even Finny was getting outmuscled on jump balls to tall WR's. May never be more than depth and a guy who can compete as a returner.

What he needs to do? He needs to get in Finny's hip pocket and learn everything Finny does and how/why. He needs to develop his feet, coverage skills, and block shedding skills. He also has a handful of secondary coaches on this team he needs to learn all he can from!

My initial impressions.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Summary of Gut's take:
    "The Titans reached big time on every pick through round 3 and there is a strong chance most these guys ever amount to anything".

3. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I agree with gut and everything but I don't think any of these guys were a reach. Britt was the only good WR remaining except Robiskie but Britt was higher on the Titans board. The Marks pick is being called a great pick by some because with a little more work he'd be a 1st round pick, especially if he would've stayed 1 more year. However, with him already improving and getting pt he'll be a starter next year imo. The Cook trade left me confused at first but this is the #2 ranked TE and we'll need a new starter after Crumpler and maybe Scaife leave. We do have Stevens but he's a blocking TE. Obviously Mouton will be a back up for a couple years but will make an immediate impact on special teams and if he can work on his CB play while on the bench his speed will really help him.

So in short I think we got every player that was needed.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I enjoyed the read. I stick to my comment that each player is boom or bust. The Titans have drafted potential for as long as I can remember. They've usually taken the measurables over performance.

It's hard to argue with the results.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Lol....

Here's a more accurate summary...
    Britt was a slight reach IMO...not a big time reach...and I said he had top 10 potential. Since I had Cook rated as a 2nd and we spent a 2nd to get him...that's not a reach at all....and he has Hall of Fame potential. I think Marks and Mouton are reaches...but we have had success with those types of players at those positions (AH and Finnegan). And Marks could be a very nice player if he can put all the pieces together. It took AH a long time to get it all down and then he became one of the best defensive players in the NFL and Finnegan has already gone from nickel to pro bowl CB.

Gut

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The read was a good one but I thought a little harsh on the "Mel Kiper reach scale". If the Titans took a player where they took him they obviously don't think it is a reach and if they had the Gut reach scale who knows how the draft would have gone.. Also, Britt wasn't a reach at all. For a WR picked at the end of the 1st round the kid is well worth the pick.

The bottom line is there will be plenty (the majority) of players that nobody thought were a "reach" that will suck dirt in the league and there will be plenty of "reaches" that will have solid careers. You can't slide to any draft slot you want, you have to take what is available when you pick.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I thought we got solid value with each pick through rd 4. We took mouton over moore in rd 3 because he is the better athlete, one of the faster CBs in the draft. There were some other options at DT in rd 2 such as mcgee, scott or hill and we decided on marks.

Perhaps gut could tell us who would be a better pick than marks or mouton. Calling britt a high 2nd doesn't bother me thought i saw him as a low 1st. The bottom line is had we not drafted britt there was no guarantee we could have had a real high quality WR in any other round.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

My grades..

Britt-A A better prospect in my opinion that harvin and bey.

Marks-B+ Solid pick fits our system and a need.

Jared Cook-B Potentially the best pass receiving TE in this draft and another weapon for our passing game.

Ryan Mouton-B great athlete from a small school. the next finnegan?

Gerald Mcgrath-A++-Incredible value for one of the fastest linebackers in the draft. Could potentially play any of the 3 linebacker position for us.

Troy Kropog-A+ great natural size with good feet. Will get stronger and could play on the left side as well as the right.

Javon Ringer-B Worth a shot and could be our #2 in 2010.

Jason Mccourty-C titans grabbed him because he ran a 4.30 on his pro day. I would have taken mickens the more accomplished player.

Dominique edison-A Project WR with speed and size. Similar physically to paul williams but actually produced in college.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I don't agree with that. Many of the guys we drafted should at least be serviceable players if they don't star. Marks for example should at least be a randy starks #3 DT type guy. Potentially better but at least decent.

Britt is the closest thing to a ready made WR in this draft. Mcgrath and kropog should be at least depth guys.

Mouton a could be viewed as a project but he has the athletic ability to play very soon and can make up for some deficiencies in technique with that speed.

I'm expecting at least 5 guys from this draft to be on the roster 3 years from now.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I seriously don't get how you reached that interpretation. Gut listed pro's and con's in his post. In fact the word reach isn't even used in the original post.

If I listed the pro's and con's of the first 5 selections in the draft, and what they need to work on improving, does that mean I'd be calling all of them reaches? :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar