Favre comments on the McNair situation

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tonye209, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

Maybe Bus Cook has the rights for the follow up and wants his 2 former stars to start a new career?
    He's doing what he can to end their current careers.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

There is a graceful way for these guys to leave the game. McNair can take a cut in pay allowing the Titans to get a few extra players around him and then play one or two more years and retire. This idea of McNair going to another team has an EG stench about it and it wouldn't surprise me if he stunk up the place in Baltimore and went down as another of those guys who thought his talent and ability was way higher than it really was. Changing venues at this point in his career is not going to be as easy as he thinks. McNair's best chance at success with the career he has left is to stay in TN one more year, declaring it to be his last (or probally his last) and reducing his salary so we can get him some support. McNair goes out as one of the greatest Titans of all time with his picture adorning the stadium right up until the day he is officially retired. EG proved how bad it can get.

3. JMB54

JMB54 Waitin on a Win!

I believe Soxcat has wrapped it up nicely in that last post.

4. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

Ditto!
    Great post Soxcat.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Sure soxcat...

it wouldn't surprise me if he stunk up the place in Baltimore and went down as another of those guys who thought his talent and ability was way higher than it really was.
    ----------------------

Yeah mcnair had it so good last year with the titans. How horrible that he might have a running game and derrick mason to throw to. Yeah that will really expose him. You write as if mcnair was the QB for the rams last year. Any scenario would be better wouldn't it?

6. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

a Hickstah? :lol:

7. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

The problem is the competitive spirit that made these players great eventually makes them think they can play well past their prime. Emmitt Smith got the career rushing record through dogged pursuit. That same ambition betrayed him when he didnt realize that he had basically given all he could. To use another Cowboys example, Troy Aikman didnt retire til after the Cowboys released him and he couldnt find another job elsewhere.

There are occasionally guys who teams think are done who prove people wrong. Joe Montana took the Chiefs to the playoffs. Jerry Rice had a couple great seasons in Oakland and went to the Super Bowl after the 49ers thought he was done. Of course, Jerry Rice also had half a useless season in Seattle and a training camp in Denver before he realized it was time to hang up the cleats and put on dancing shoes. These guys are definately the exception to the rule.

There is a way that players can go out with dignity and grace. Follow the Jerome Bettis model. Or Mashall Faulk. Faulk probably wont have the storybook ending Bettis did, but the fact that he's going to be able to retire with the team that defined his career is going to mean he will always be remembered fondly by Rams fans. Sadly, everytime we think of Eddie George, our last memory is going to be a contract squabble and him sitting on the bench in Dallas.

8. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

I reckon you need to worry about your own team first rather than spend so much time worrying about ours. The picture in Green Bay isn't exactly.....comfy!

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

The finisher has spoken. :ha:

10. ilincoln

ilincoln Camp Fodder

I am the "official hater"... and im not a BV fan, but he is right.
    He doesnt say anything thats not true... should he have said it, maybe not - but there it is

I hope Steve plays again for us, but if he doesnt - I will enjoy watching him play for someone else.

The NFL should have cap friendly approach to vets - if they have been with the team "X" amount of years then you earn additional cap room...

The team wants Steve, to sit, not get hurt, and wait for them to see who they can replace him with... NICE! Those who remember the Earl trade will appreciate my negative view of how teams approach these situations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar