Favorite Musical Decade

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Broken Record, May 1, 2009.

?
  1. Current (2000s)

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. 1990s

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. 1980s

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. 1970s

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  5. 1960s

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  6. 1950s

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  7. Ancient

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Wrong again Gloat.. How would you know anyway - besides your usual mode of gathering info: guessing...
    Does a record shop have an infinite amount of music - of course not, but a person cannot listen to every bit of music from any of these time periods. There just isn't enough time.. The quest was performed differently but with much better results - many more home runs per at-bat.
    There may be more bands now but the culture is so poisoned that the sheer percentages of "bad" has all but swallowed up the good..
    And don't even start to lecture me about studios - I will trump you at every turn. Home studios have existed long before your ilk and indie has always utilized recording on the cheap.

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Does anyone else see the irony of using White Stripes as an example of a "now" band?
    Furthermore, I'd bet 90% of the bands Gloat reference in his "now" Rock list would not choose "now" as their favorite decade of music..

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Yeah but be it then or now, most people don't dig very hard to find cool music. They sit back and wait for it.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

How were the results better? Bands were over-rated because they were all you had. Doesn't make the results technically any better. Bands like Lynard Skynard suck turd, if you ask me. But people love them because who else was competing with them at the time?
    Back then, people accepted what the mainstream produced. Today, we don't. That's the only difference. Plus, marketing has changed infinitely.

Home studios then do not even compare to now. I (literally- ME) can produce an album of FAR better quality than anything from the 70s. And then, once I do- I can BURN the album. How many home studios then were actually making the album? Printing the slip? None. That's how many.

And even if I didn't burn it- I could upload it to a world of listeners. Within 20 seconds. How long did the process take back then?

For the record- I don't like the White Stripes, but they ARE a now band. Regardless of their influence. Every band had influence and transformed it to something. Point is, they're hot today- and talented/innovative.

5. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Right. That's why you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a delta blues or Cole Porter standards radio station.

6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Skynyrd? That's mainstream... I was under the assumption we were talking about digging below the surface.. Again, the mainstream was not "all we had".
    I'm going to assume you've never heard of Flipside or Maximum Rock N Roll..

Anything from the 70's?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Prove it sucker.

Amazing that you essentially live in Nashville, where you can find any number of old houses with home studios from the days of yore that recorded known stuff. Demo recording? forget it - tons and tons of it. And don't think the stuff you're recording at home is anything more than a demo.
    The length of the process is irrelevant..

White Stripes retread sounds of the past. You can deny it but it doesn't make it not true..

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

While we're at it on this one. Why not list your machine, mics, mic pre's, outboard FX and mastering solution for said recording..

And don't even start to say M-box and software bundles...

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

No, haven't heard of either of those 2 bands you mentioned. All my equipment? Simply a Shure PG-58 and Cool Edit Pro. After mastering, I can put out radio quality sound. Maybe not the best, but definitely good enough, and 70s production wasn't good quality. At all, so it's not so much of what I can do- but what they couldn't.

9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Neither were bands, but excellent music resources for people wanting to find out about the thousands and thousands of underground bands putting out non-mainstream music.

As far as the PG58 and Cool Edit: both are fine pieces of gear in their own right. I use Adobe Audition (Cool Edit) for some preparations.. But to say you can cut a better quality mix than anything ever done in a 70's home studio is simply absurd. The gear from that era is some of the most valuable sought after stuff ever made..

10. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

:lol::lol::lol:

Okay, I'm pretty positive that you don't know the first thing about music production or any of the actual tools involved. But I'll clue you in on one thing, and one thing only: there is a reason- related to physics and mechanics- why 70's music sounds the way it does. Today's music sounds the way it does for similar reasons, and it's not always a good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar