Favorite Musical Decade

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Broken Record, May 1, 2009.

?
  1. Current (2000s)

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. 1990s

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. 1980s

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. 1970s

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  5. 1960s

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  6. 1950s

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  7. Ancient

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I dunno... sounds like you and deuce could hang together if he could change his vote.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Carmina Burana would be apt.

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Now more than any time I can remember mainstream music seems to be crap and unoriginal. There are always a few good songs that stand out but pop and young guitar band clones who make noise rather than rhythm all sound the same.

Music in the UK right now seems to be heavily recycling 80's pop but doing it badly.

4. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Control yourself... take only what you need from it.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

The authority has checked in.. No need to further the thread..

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Plus, music today is technically at it's peak. In the old days, there were only a handful of bands at a time- so of course people were more attached to them than we are today.
    Today you can literally listen to 10,000 artists in a single sub-genre via the internet. And if anyone thinks that 1 band in those 10,000s isn't likely to be better than any bands from the past, they're wrong.

Just because POP music and radio-played music is generally junk today, doesn't mean there aren't thousands of greatly talented bands out there right now. There definitely are.

For instance- Rap today (NOT what's on the radio) is LIGHTYEARS better than any rap from the 90s. Lyrics, production, flow, diversity, everything. Just have to dig to find gems. Everyone likes something different.

Memories make things great though. Just like how Christmases don't feel as warm and tingly as they did 20 years ago, nobody will ever be better than Jordan, everything. Everything is better in retrospect.

[​IMG]

7. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I agree. Mainstream radio plays the crap. I've heard some really good new music from different generes being played on satellite radio, that most people will never hear.

Country is not my favorite, but as an example, the Outlaws (Willie-Waylon etc) were able to break through the establishment at the time and play the kind of music they wanted to. Today, you have to wear a cowboy hat, look cute, and fit into the music row cookie cutter to get heard. There are some really good new acts playing country, not the kind you hear on WSM, but you have to seek them out...

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

The mindless blather that pours out of this one...

There only a handful of bands at a time? And where did you get that ill-informed scrap of knowledge? Musical Disinformation for Dummies in paperback?
    There was a time Gloat, long before cell-phones, the internet and Xbox, even before the time when you sat in your hi-chair watching Justin Timberlake on the Mickey Mouse Club. There was vinyl, and there was a music underground and there were hip folks who knew what was what and there were thousands of underground bands that the average shmoe didn't know about - just like today...

"you have to dig to find gems" - which actually applies to every decade - not just the one or two you actually experienced.

• High Five High Five x 3
  9. asus64

asus64 Camp Fodder

I have a really hard time deciding between the 60's and 70's. The 60's had The Beatles, The Doors, The Stones, Bob Dylan, the Yardbirds and Cream, Carole king, The Beach Boys and all that great Motown music from Dione Warwick, Gladys Night, Aretha Franklin, Mary Wells, The Four Tops, Brenton Wood and so on; and what about the soothing sounds of Bosa Nova. But then again the 70's had Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, CCR, The Doobies, The Eagles, Grand Funk, Stevie Wonder (from the sixties), The Who, Elton John, Neil Diamond, Bob marley, ELO, Queen, Rush, Earth Wind and Fire, Disco and more...It´s not an easy call.

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

80's Metal

Ozzy - Blizzard of Oz (80) / Diary of a Madman (81) / Bark at the Moon (83)

Van Halen - Women and Children First (80) / Fair Warning (81) / Diver Down (82)

Dio - Holy Diver (83) / The Last in Line (84) / Sacred Heart (86)

Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance (82) / Defenders of the Faith (84) /Turbo (86)

Queensryche - Rage for Order (86) / Operation Mindcrime (88)

Ratt - Out of the Cellar (84) / Invasion of Your Privacy (85)

AC/DC - Back in Black (80) / For Those .. (81) / Who Made Who (86)

Metallica - Ride the Lightning (84) / Master of Puppets (86) / ...And Justice for All (88)

Def Leppard - High 'n Dry (81) / Pyromania (83)

Journey - Escape (81) / Frontiers (83)

Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil (83)

Megadeth - Peace Sells... (86) / So Far , So Good, So What (88)

Yngwie Malmsteen - Marching Out (85) / Trilogy (86)

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast (82) / Powerslave (84) / Somewhere in Time (86) / Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (88)

Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King (87)

that's all I'm gonna sift through right now
    sure there were others ,but this is a good sampling of what I was going through when I was a kid. It's a shame, there was some damn fine jams in this timeframe ..... the likes we probably will never see again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar