Favorite Musical Decade

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Broken Record, May 1, 2009.

?
  1. Current (2000s)

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. 1990s

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. 1980s

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. 1970s

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  5. 1960s

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  6. 1950s

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  7. Ancient

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I wouldn't say nobody has heard of Buck Dharma.. BOC was pretty popular during their day and they toured like mad. I always remember Buck breaking his guitar in the middle of the Heavy Metal Head video (Blotto)..
    Not like they didn't have at least three massive hits that everyone knows as well as being the inspiration for this:
    [​IMG]

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/40oB4J2n0Os&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/40oB4J2n0Os&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I got all the PF CDs, well missing some of the newer ones. Pre DSotM is crap. It is a miracle those guys were even allowed to make DSotM. That said Avvie is correct Animals and Wish You Were Here are the best.

Of those two Dogs and Wish You Were Here - WOW I really can't listen too those albums or those songs too much. WYWH - the song is like 6 mins long and it seems like 30 seconds too me. Dogs is like 15 mins, I don't think the lyrics start till like 6 mins into it, and it seems like 30 seconds too me as well. Heck I even love the live versions that go on for twice the time of the studio cuts.

DSotM is PF for Dummies - lol

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Obviously you, being a musician, have heard of him. Your musician friends as well. When my non-musician friends talk guitar and they get beyond EVH they talk about Satranti and - god help us Clapton - I get a total blank stare when I mention Dharma/Roeser. I mention Godzilla and Don't Fear the Reaper and they know the songs. Cities On Flame - as close as anyone gets to EVH IMO

5. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

1960s fo' sho'

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

classic

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I can tolerate PF in small doses and I can appreciate their contributions to Rock but I was always more of a Bowie/Alice Cooper/Queen guy from those days. Mick Ronson and Brian May were my favorite 70's guitarists. The EVH guys don't hold much respect for those guys either..

8. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Speaking of which, did you hear EVH totally get his azz handed to him by Brian May on the Starfleet Project?

9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

No but I have some unmixed Queen sessions from the A Night at the Opera period and May's tracks are just blistering. Tone for days....

10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I would not call it lack of respect as much as the music was, again I am just a listener not a player, vocal driven. Sure the musicians were probably great, whoever did the guitar work for Debrah Harry on Rapture was certainly talented - but he was backing Blondie. VH is EVH and IMO Blue Oyster Cult is Buck Dharma, but I am just one guy with a bunch of vinyl and CDs. I am certain Satratini is technically better than Dharma, but I don't like his stuff - preprogrammed electronic speed rock - lol

Groups like Steely Dan employed the best musicians available and their stuff reflects it, but those guys just accent the songs. As an aside Can't Buy A Thrill is one great song followed by another great song for all 10 tracks. Almost impossible to surpass debut album there. IMO SD never did surpass CBAT, but man they put out a string of awsome albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar