Favorite Draftees...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Gut, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Every year, when building my board, there are a couple of players at each position that I really LIKE and hope we end up with...whether that guy is a 1st rndr or a 7th. Please list your favorite players at each position, why they're your fav and in what rnd you think they will (or should) get taken...

Gut

2. Pjames32

Pjames32 Starter

A few...

Hakeem Nicks - I just really like his game. If we go WR in round 1, I hope it's him.

Alphonso Smith - Same as Nicks, if we take a CB in the 1st I hope it's Alphonso. I think he has everything you look for minus a couple inches (of height).

Shawn Nelson - He goes to my school (USM). I think he's probably the 2nd best TE in the draft and could go in round 2. We don't need a TE that high though so I know we won't be taking him.

Gerald McRath - Same as Nelson, he goes to my school. I think he'll probably go in round 3 with an outside shot of slipping into round 2. If we go LB there I wouldn't mind us taking him.

3. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I really think Nicks could be the next Mason, just a WR that can get open and make hard catches through traffic. I'm also really high on Alfonso Smith (he is my ideal draft choice), but I do not think he will be there. Nicks will probably fall to us, and I think we'll pick him up.

4. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Here's a few mid rounders I wouldn't mind getting:

http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/dgtv_1/nader_abdallah_video/

Not to be a homer but having watched Abdallah all last year I think he's just a late bloomer and a bit of a project but he would if nothing else give us excellent depth on the D line. Lots of upside I think.

http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/dgtv_1/curtis_painter_-_qb_-_purdue/

I said in another thread that I was let down by the senior QBs this year but in 07 I was certain than Painter would be a top 5 NFL pick. For a mid round pick I'm willing to forgive 1 season and see what he can do in the NFL.

http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/dgtv_1/jarett_dillard_-_wr_-_rice/

Production is production and IMO the 40 time is really overrated for WR.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Hakeem Nicks - Best all around receiver in the draft by a mile.

Jared Cook - Could be the next Antonio Gates.

Jackie Bates (CB) - Steal of the draft. You want someone like Finnegan to line up on the other side?? This is the guy. Fiesty, loves to tackle, good vs the run, breaks balls up constantly, and is a ball hawk. He runs a 4.3, has incredible feet and stays with the receiver.
    He transfered from Oregon to Hampton University, but played extremely well for both.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaN91e9S1kc&feature=related

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/jackiebatesinterview.htm
    ^Interview with Bates.

" Jackie Bates: I need to get stronger physically. Terrell Owens looks so impressive physically. You have to be really strong and dedicated to the weight room. I measure myself to TO and Anquin Boldin. I know that pressing and jamming those guys at the line of scrimmage, I will have to push my body to the max. Up to this point, I haven’t had anyone beat me flat out in terms of speed. It is all about me coming into the NFL and listening to the coaches. It is all about picking up tips from other corners. An ideal situation would be me being an understudy to an older corner. I have to continue to study film and run. My conditioning also has to be to a top tee. "

"At Hampton last year, I led the Conference in passes defended. The funny thing is that it was unexpected. I was only thrown to once or twice a game. My coaches were like no one is throwing your way. At end of the season, we found that I led the conference in passes defended which was special. "

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Hmmm...here's a question for you.

Besides him saying he's run a 4.2 and consistently being in the 4.3's...do you have anything else on his speed?

In the video he looks pretty good though he doesn't look like he has anything close to 4.2 speed. He got beat a few times...especially on one play trying to press...but got lucky the QB underthrew the passes. He does look like he has good mirroring and ball skills and is not afraid to come up quickly in run support. He's small though at a shade under 5'9. He'd be good depth late in the draft or as a FA. I don't think anyone will draft him so you better start writing Fisher and MR letters!

Gut

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Aside from Nicks, Britt is kind of becoming more my guy. If Nicks got picked ahead of us, I'd be okay with Britt. Behind that, I really like Ramses Barden somewhere. Everyone knows that.

Frantz Joseph and Marcus Freeman I like around three. Freeman is very versatile, but a little short. Joseph is just kind of a story I'm pulling for. A player more than an athlete. Willing to take a risk on his promise in three or four.

Not sure I'd be thrilled about him at 30, but I can see it coming if someone doesn't take him higher, but Clay Matthews would probably do well here in time. Think John McClain wants him bad for the Texans at 15. Makes me think of taking Young to spite them. It's like he's afraid we'd take him at 30 and he doesn't want to see that.

Darius Butler is a guy I really like. Think he would be an incredible balance to Finnegan. A bit of a cooler head, more cerebral. Be happy with Alphonso Smith or Macho Harris, in that order.

Deon Butler, Mike Thomas are my guys. Love to get one of them as receiver and returner.

Getting Harvin would be real nice, too, but I gave up the notion.

8. millakilla8

millakilla8 MK8- OSU Beavs & Mizzou!!

Hakeem Nicks

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Gut, when you "build your board", is it just a file on your lap top or something? Or do you construct a big board like Mel Kipper has in your bonus room or basement? I'm just curious. I won't be surprised either way.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Comments...

I really like Nicks though I think he is what he is right now. Even though I'm from NY, I don't like Britt that much...and not in rnd 1. I think he's a 2nd rndr and not necessarily a top of the 2nd guy. He could be great if he learns how to hand catch ALL THE TIME and catch the ball at it's highest point. I like Barden, but he's a big (no pun intended) boom or bust prospect. He needs to learn how to run routes or he won't do anything except run fades in the red zone. He COULD be better than Brandon Marshall...but he's got a long way to go for that. He also could move to TE. I think he goes in 3...but where is anyone's guess...

If Freeman was 6-3 and wasn't constantly getting injured, he'd be a 2nd rndr easy...possibly higher. His height could really hurt him as the injuries he's had...knee, staph infection, knee, ankle...He's a good player though and a good special teams player. He has outstanding change of direction and his 4.5 40 on his Pro Day could put him in rnd 2. Joseph is really like a 6th rnd pick that I think could go as high as 4th for his dominant physicality and hitting power. He can knock you into tomorrow and comes to play with the attitude every team would want in a MLB. Problem is, he's probably not athletic enough to start at MLB for a 4-3 team (although the Titans defense is designed a bit differently than most 4-3's). As a backup MLB, special teams terror...I LOVE HIM! However, I think he'd be much more valueable to a 3-4 team that probably could start him and take him off in nickel packages. I don't wanna see him going to the Ravens and playing next to Ray Ray though. That would kill me!

Considering Bruce is on their staff now, I'm SURE he's pressing for them to take Matthews. I don't think a 4-3 team will take him in rnd 1 because he has little experience in coverage and is currently a very high motor and very quick rush OLB. He's perfect for a 3-4 D. I wouldn't be crying if we took him in rnd 1, but I think he'd be sitting until Bulluck is done and that could be a few years...then he starts one year and then we have to sign him to a big pay day? Not a great strategy. IF we went LB in rnd 1, I could see Maualuga or Laurinaitis at MLB or Cushing...but not Matthews. I would NOT like any of these 3 players though in the first.

Agreed. It would not surprise me at all if Butler ended up as the first CB selected. For a man cover team, he might be the best guy considering size, speed, talent and athleticism. I like ASmith and Harris as well later.

Funny, we like similar guys! I think Harvin COULD fall to us...but probably a little less than 50/50. Then the question would be...would the Titans take him? I like Thomas, Butler and Rice as well. All are very good slot players and a bit different from each other.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar