Faulk says Titans known for not paying players (new CJ contract)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Cruds is right, the money is being spent, just not on CJ.

Roos, Stewart, Washington, Young, Thornton, and Hope are all VERY well paid. Last year, Bulluck and KVB were well paid also. Scaife has been one of the most well paid TEs in the league, and he certainly isn't giving us that level of production. We had to overpay Collins because of Vince's setback two years ago, so now we're locked into about 14 million in compensation to QBs this season. (if we keep Collins)

Players want to be respected, players want to feed their families, players provide the entertainment... Bull!

Feed their families? CJ got 7 million dollars before he went to his first training camp. If he handled it right, he had a lot of security for life as of that day. Has anyone here every made 7 million dollars in one day? If he didn't put away at least a million after taxes he's a fool to an incredible degree.

Players aren't looking to be respected, they're looking to get paid (money is respect, but tangible). Owners are looking to make money because they risked a lot of money by investing in the NFL. They pay out these ridiculous contracts. They give the Jamarcuses $30 million for nothing. They used to have to pay for the entire cost of massive stadiums. We don't feel sorry for them because they're generally very very rich men. That doesn't mean that they should throw away their wealth for our entertainment.

This case is ridiculous, as is the Andre Johnson case, because both players signed contracts that have a lot of years left on them. They're both incredibly risky for the teams because they're both super star players who should be the faces of their team. However, if either team breaks and pays the player now, they risk setting a bad precedent for every good player in the future holding out, and never playing a year for less than market value. If this had happened a few years ago, Griffen would have held out last season, and we would have had to massively overpay him before watching him regress. Finnegan would probably be clamoring to redo his contract, because he's not getting close to top corner money. The combination of these factors would mean that we'd be dumping three or four good players, and the team would be worse.

For the sake of our team, I hope that the team waits to pay him until next season.

All this being said, I think this is being blown out of proportion, and CJ will show up for camp. He starts getting fined when he starts missing camp, and starts losing checks when he starts missing games. I think he's doing this to get everyone talking, so that everyone KNOWS that next year he's getting paid, which is still early, buying out two years of his contract.

Seriously, if he sat down with the Titans today, and they told him they would pay him $10 million per year, the highest contract for a running back in the league, but they'd have to agree on how much to discount it for giving it to him three years early, he'd probably end up only getting 6 or 7 million per year if it came out to fair value. The problem is, he's not going to agree to discount fair value for the years that he already agreed to. Which is why he shouldn't be given a new contract this offseason, as well as for reasons listed above.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I'm not going to pretend I read through all 5 pages of discussion but here are my thoughts...

- CJ is definitely worth more than he's set to receive
    - CJ definitely deserves to be one of the highest paid RBs in the league
    - CJ must understand the dynamics of the uncapped year (i.e. 30% rule) and STFU and play

Don't get me wrong, I love CJ and realize how important he is to this team. But it would be insanity for the Titans to give him the kind of deal he's looking for at this point in time. We simply can't give him a massive front loaded contract. There's just too much risk. If the 30% rule didn't exist, I'd totally be on CJ's side as he's clearly outperformed his rookie contract in a major way. Unfortunately for him, it does exist.

I can definitely see where CJ is coming from though. But at the end of the day he's already getting paid very handsomely to play a freaking game. I get so sick of hearing all these former players and analysts (mostly former players) talking about how guys have to "maximize" their opportunity and get as much as they possibly can when they can. BS. Sure in a perfect world that would be great. But the fact is that CJ is looking for a new deal in the worst possible year to do so. Bad luck. IT HAPPENS. It would be completely childish and selfish for him to sit out over this. Say the worst case scenario happens... he doesn't get a new deal and has a career-ending injury this season. As horrible and disappointing as that would be, the guy is still a millionaire many times over and has banked more money than most people will ever see in their lifetime simply for playing a game for 3 years. The amount of greed in pro sports is really disgusting... and it's certainly not all on the players.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Wish I could high five this 100 times.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Laughing at anyone falling for that one. The Titans are cheap, face it. Those lists are fine and dandy, but how many of these top tier teams we're trying to emulate have the two over paid QB's we have? How many have the overpaid second string TE? Our money is spent on players who don't show up. And by that I mean lineman don't show you anything. They do their job, and line up and keep doing it. If we spent money on worthwhile skill positions people wouldn't think we're a cheap franchise. When it comes to WR's & RB's we try that old "plug-n-play" method from the 60's. The NFL is ran by elite athletes, not the fat lineman or the Nate Washington's & Justin Gages of the world. Steelers, Pats, Colts wouldn't be winning these games year after year if they didn't have athletes making money. Sure Manning is slow and goofy, but when he won his ring it came from athletic pass rushers, and a RB. Ben Rapsaburger needed some good WR's to get his titles. All these teams with rings have better skill players than us. We finally get one and we pay him worse than a backup punter.

What you need to do is take that list and dump $10M to see where we really are.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

^ Let's just dump all the fat linemen altogether. We're sure to win a Super Bowl then.
    The world according to garp.

6. 757Titan

757Titan We had zero pro bowlers

Hate.hate.hate.

Jcbrave is very right on the fact we over pay second tier players, and don't pay top athletes as much as we should, IMO. And apparently a lot of others on this board. But with the uncapped year it's very hard to pay cj what he wants.

7. Ewker

Ewker Starter

boy is there a bunch of idiots on this thread

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Agreed.

Nate Washington and Kerry Collins are so ridiculously overpaid. It's not even funny.

9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

OK. Very interesting data source. Thanks.

2009 had us at #15. Near the middle in my book, but it is technically "upper half".

2008 had us at #7. That is definitely a top 10. We had the best record in the NFL that year. Interesting.

2007: #25
    http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2007

2006: #25
    http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2006

2005: #32 (that is last fyi)
    http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2005

2004: #20
    http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2004

2003: #21
    http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2003

2002: #25
    http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2002

2001: #18
    http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2001

2000: #12
    http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2000

So I want everybody to STFU who keeps saying we pay our players well. We were only in the top 10 teams (according to USA Today) once in the past 10 years. In fact, 70% of those years we were in the bottom half. 60% of those years we were in or very near the bottom 1/3.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

^Yea but dump the dead players collecting big money and were in the bottom of the league. Lose $5M for Collins, lose $4M for Scaife and we go from middle to bottom. Those 2 guys don't do squat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar