Faulk says Titans known for not paying players (new CJ contract)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

So if you over perform your contract, you should get paid for it? Fair enough. Given your analogy, Jamarcus Russell should be writing the Raiders a check for about 49million dollars because he severely underperformed his contract. There are two sides to each coin. Football isn't a right, its a privilege. You think CJ would have run for 2k in Washington, Arizona, or even Dallas?

This isn't the Tennessee Chris Johnsons, this is the Tennessee Titans. That Oline is just as much responsible for CJ's success as anyone. 2k yards in a season is a moot point. @0-6, Chris Johnsons stats were the only thing left to play for. It was the only thing that brought fans back to LP so bud could keep reaping the profits of those $7 dollar beers.

When your coworkers underperform at work, and you pick up their slack, do you get paid more? If so, I'd like to submit my resume to your company.

I'm sorry, I have very little sympathy for someone getting paid $580,000 to run around a field with a pigskin ball itching about a pay raise. I also have a problem with KFC fetching gatorade for 5.5 million.

2. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Old news, Marshall. Old news.

3. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

First of all: Hold out = disrespect.

I'm okay with CJ dumping OTAs, he proved last year he has the brain to keep himself in shape.
    But dumping training camp... - I say don't give the fool anything and keep him for the remainder of his contract, unless someone makes an idiotic Roy Williams-like offer. Otherwise others will do the same.

I agree on handing CJ more money, but not this year, under the current terms.

4. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

Exactly. CJ should get a raise as in any profession, you outperform, in fact you outperform every other person in your field, damn right you deserve a raise. If you under perform at a job then you should be fired period, just like Russell was. So you're implying that if you work at a job for say five years and you don't perform well and you get fired you should owe the company all the pay you're eared over that five years? The difference between the two is CJ actually has value going forward, Russell has none.

Obviously it's a team game and the O-line is instrumental in CJ's success, just like the o-line is important in Peyton Manning's success. If manning had the Rams O-line would he be as successful? It's really not a valid argument, look at the contracts of our O-line, the are all very, very wall paid because the perform at a high level. I think CJ is just that special, I don't care what O-line he has he's still going to be a special player.

If you don't think KC is worth 5.5 million, fine cut him I don't care. I think you should be more ticked off that Alvin Pearman makes over 650k though. At least KC can come in and win games and have an impact, AP won't even get a carry this year.

5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Fisher doesn't give a crap about players records.

The only game he actually gave CJ touches to get the record was the last game of the season and that because the team was into it in a big way.

In the past players close to records didn't get any help. One clear example is on the tip of my mind but I can't recall it other than being pissed that the player didn't get the touches he needed.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

It really isn't as simple as giving him a raise.

He's due $550,000 in 2010. The rules state he can only have a 30% increase on that should we restructure his contract. That would pay him $715,000.

We could restructure him and give him a signing bonus upfront but that would be guaranteed money. He get's hurt in day one and we just blew a wad on zero return.

That's the kicker that the titans can use as an excuse.

The only other way to pay him is to cut him and then re-sign him. If we did that he would become a restricted free agent due to his only having played two years in the league.

His agent would have a field day and some team would break the bank to sign him and we'd get a 1st rnd pick as compensation.

It's not a clear cut scenario and I don't blame him for staying away. If he's worked again like he has been he'll be done in 3 more seasons.

The timing of the uncapped year has been very unfortunate for him. No matter what he wants, realistically we don't have a way to pay him even if we wanted to.

• High Five High Five x 4
  7. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I agree that CJ needs a new contract, but calling the Titans cheap or whatever is ridiculous. The Titans consistently pay their roster in the league's top ten.

This 30% rule doesn't have much substance. Roster bonuses can be paid out each season. Roster bonuses are not truly guaranteed money and can easily substitute for base salary. It can even be converted to base salary or signing bonuses later. Bill Polian has done this quite a bit with Peyton Manning and others. This contract can get done, the FO simply doesn't want to pay him like he's going to get 2,000 yards every season.

I can see the Titans' side of this too. They really don't plan to get 2,000 yards out of him every season. The gameplan obviously changed last season just to get CJ his 2,000 yards. They put him behind one of the best lines in football and gave him the ball as much as he wanted so he could break records. It's what HE wanted. Coach has made multiple mention of a broader rotation among the running backs going forward, and CJ coming back to ask for a new deal probably feels a little like a slap in the face.

On CJ's side, this is why he wanted to break records. This was his motivation. He wants to be set for life in the event something happens to him to where he can't play any longer. No player is guaranteed their next snap, but there is a greater likelihood that a RB gets a serious injury than any other position. If any of us were in CJ's shoes, we'd do the same.

Hopefully he can get a new contract before the season starts. I'm sure he wants to be the highest paid running back (he's made mention that he wants to be the highest paid offensive player, but that's nonsense), but he doesn't deserve that. He got 2,000 yards in a season... great. He still hasn't accomplished what Steven Jackson has over his career. I have faith that if he comes back down to earth a little, finds ground in between Steven Jackson's contract and Maurice Jones-Drew's contract, he'll get his new contract and all will be happy.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

He's not going to get hurt, STFU with this injury crap. Give him an increase, w.e. that entails do it!

9. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Pay the man, and I mean more than the $550,000 he's scheduled to make. Alvin Pearman making more than CJ is F...in' rickdickulous!

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Here's the solution: cut Collins, Pearman, and Nickey, give C.J. those salaries as this seasons bonus. After the Super Bowl work out a real deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar