Faulk says Titans known for not paying players (new CJ contract)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

CJ is special. Period. Guys like him don't come around often. Only been five others in the history of the game to go over 2k. (and he'd have had the record if he hadn't had that long run called back.)

CJ is NOT "replaceable". Sure we can get another RB- but what happened last year wasn't just due to the OL.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

There is nothing wrong with being conservative with players who have only produced for one or two seasons like Odom for example or have some issues with motivation or outside problems like AH.

On the other hand we do need to take a chance every now and then to improve the team and get that edge. The vikings took a chance on hutchinson and it paid off big. They paid big time to get Allen(1st 2 3rds and a $12M a year contract) and that paid off. we need to make a move like that every now and then.

This year Dunta Robinson would have been such a move.

We offered AH a $10M a year deal and he turned it down and we lost him. Did we spend $10M to replace him or improve the team in other areas? No only 40% of that to get Haye.

I wonder what Faulk thinks of his old team signing $6M a year contracts to average players like Bell and Bennett. Good moves?

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

We are cheap.

What amazes me the most, is how much of our fanbase supports it.

Example: Albert Haynesworth

When he left, everyone was "oh that contract is ridiculous, good riddance!" Then, when he's on the trading block it's "Oh bring him back now that the big signing bonus is paid!"

You know what difference that signing bonus made to our organization... nothing except more money in Bud's pockets. We would have had the same roster (ok, maybe we wouldn't have Jovan Haye) even if we had signed Al to the exact contract.

Yet some fans think our front office would be genius's for not paying Albert, and then having to give up extra draft picks, all so he could NOT play for us one season and bud could save 20 million.

Faulk's comments also support my theory that free agents don't want to come to Nashville because we treat our players like petrified dog turds.

4. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

It was no secret that when we were 0-6, the season shifted from winning the superbowl to getting the ball to CJ more so he could break a record. I'll take CJ running 1,200 yards a year and making the playoffs, rather than CJ touching the ball every play, shortening his career by several years, and going 8-8. Also, if KFC were the QB all year last year, would CJ have gotten to 2,000 yards? Absolutely not.

The game against the texans where CJ toasted them... That was all on the Oline. They gave him a running lane and he took off. I even remember LenDale white taking off (when he was fat) through some of those lanes our Oline made for him.

How many yards did CJ get off that VY2CJ Option play? Atleast a few hundred.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

This just reminds me of the Anquan Boldin situation, where the player never ends up being happy and wants to re-do his contract every two years. It puts the organization in a really bad position, because they just want the player to "honor the contract they signed", and the player just wants to "get as much, as fast as they can". The opposite of the CJ problem is what happened to VY. How much money has the Titans FO spent of VY?

6. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

Also, why isn't Ray Rice holding out? 1339 yards rushing, 70 receptions. Ray Rice had over 100 less carries than CJ so he could have pushed 2000 yards. He has thus far has made 1.4 Million with a guaranteed 2.8M. CJ has made over $5M.
    CJ just needs to shut up and play or hit the road. That goes for ANY player that pulls this crap.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Taking chances?

Who would you have rather had the last 2 seasons Craig Stevens or Marcus Stroud?

It cost the Bills only a 3rd and a 5th to get Stroud in 08.

How would Randy Moss have looked in a titans uniform? the Pats got him for a 4th rd pick in 07.

Now imagine that 08 team with Stroud and Moss on it. It's called the Lombardi trophy.

The cost to have those 2 players is not overwhelmingly expensive either. With those 2 guys we don't bother signing guys like Washington and Haye.

It's time for us to make a big move on getting that one or two extra guys to take us to the next level.

• High Five High Five x 4
  8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

^The only way you make it on a Titans roster is either by being drafted here, or sucking as a veteran somewhere and signing a multi-year deal for okay money.

WOW... You're willing to let the best player in football leave your team, because his business is trying to make money? Wow. I'd expect you to say that tho. Every player is their own small business, and C.J.'s business could be doing amazing, but it's not because he was forced into signing the dotted line because of where he was drafted.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I have a bad feeling this is, ultimately, going to turn out bad for us.

I truly believe that NFL players just want to be treated with respect and taken care of by the organization they play for. They wanted just be treated fairly, not lied to and paid what they deserve. CJ is no different, he did something that I believe had only been done five other time in NFL history... rush for 2,000 yards. Mainly because he was the best option for the team to score points, in fact he was our only option really. He feels at the rate in which the Titans plan to use him, the massive amount of touches that he should be paid accordingly, and he's absolutely right. He fears his career won't be long with 350+ carries per year and weighing 200 pounds on a good day.

I'm tired of the BS about how's he signed his contract and that's what he should play for, don't give me that. Contracts are torn up all the time in the NFL, especially rookie contracts in fact it's become pretty common place. Hell Andre Johnson wants a new contract... with five years remaining on his current one and he was paid 20 million right up front! Oh and yes, his rookie contract was torn up and he was given mega bucks.

But the thing that worries me the most with this whole situation is I really believe the Titans are burning any bridges they've established with CJ. He's going to be an unrestricted free agent in three years and with this bad blood happening I guarantee we lose him. What's the point in doing your research and selecting a player you think has the potential to be a special player, then when he does you low ball him and make him angry? I mean as Titans/Oilers fans aren't you guys proud that we drafted CJ and watched him grow into the best running back and arguably the best offensive weapon in the whole league? I've been an Oilers fan since back in the early 80's and we finally have that guy. After years of watching other teams with the awesome players wishing, "if only we could draft a player that special".

I swear to God Bud Adams is too cheap to pay CJ what he deserves, at least the 30% pay increase with some signing bonus in good faith until his rookie contract expires, I'm quitting this team. I'm so tired of getting drafting good players just to let them leave because Bud won't pay them. Kinda seems like he'd rather make money than do what it takes to win a Superbowl.

One last thing, the FO is too stupid to actually trade CJ if things take a turn for the worse... Meaning if the Titans burn all bridges with CJ and they know he won't resign, the won't trade him. They may just get that coveted 3rd round compensatory pick when another team pays him the money he deserves, LOL. If the Titans decide not to pay CJ this year, they better be faced with the real possibility of trading him at the end of this season. Frankly I won't care because I'll find another team to follow.:irked:

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

NFL owners hate players that know something or ones who have agents smart enough to say "hold on wait a minute...". In the eyes of the owners the players are "lucky" to be playing in the NFL. The way players these days view it is; players generate the money, and the owners host the event. Players want to be compensated for not eating cakes and milk shakes 12 months a year, working out and missing out on life, players want to be compensated for risking their livelihood. Players need some security for their families. Who wants to go out there a risk not being able to hold their daughters? These players use the game they have to their advantage and don't let the game use them, and owners hate it, especially ours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar