Faulk says Titans known for not paying players (new CJ contract)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

you may want to take a look at what the Titan QB's and WR's are making before making a general assumption like that.

2. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

John Madden might disagree with your premise that linemen aren't the ones who win games.

3. hoheff78

hoheff78 Camp Fodder

marshall hits in dead on. Cj isnt going to risk injury for what 34,000 a game. Theres no way, hes worth WAY more and everyone knows it, pay cj!!

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

LOL, our QB's don't score TD's.

Yes, without lineman you have nothing. But again, they aren't the ones putting up TD's. But I will admit; it is harder to come by quality lineman than quality RB's.

5. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

From Rotoworld.com

NFL Network analyst Marshall Faulk has advised Chris Johnson to follow through with his holdout plans until the Titans upgrade his contract.
    Faulk can forget about his front office aspirations after giving this advice; the Titans are hamstrung by uncapped-year NFL rules and all but unable to make Johnson a serious long-term contract offer. "In my opinion, there is no way he can come in and play under the current contract," said Faulk. "If more money is what he wants, he has to hold out." And everyone wants more money, all the time. Faulk's argument is poor, and hopefully won't appeal to Johnson.

Faulk = Moron. CJ holding out = moron.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

Also, maybe we should start spending gobs of money so we can be as successful as the Redskins, Jets, Dolphins, Chargers and Philly teams that always spend tons of cash.... Oh yeah, we are!

7. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I shouldn't argue this too much... because I would like to see CJ get more money. I'd also like to see him honor his contract.

This is the flip side of the massive problem with rookie contracts. Teams often can't pay productive vets because they have money tied up in bench-warmers on silly rookie contracts. Or they can't re-sign their free agents because they have money tied up in aging vets that aren't worth their bloated salaries anymore. I'd love to see more incentive-laden contracts all around, but agents complicate that.

I'm totally fine re-doing CJs contract because of his performance. I just don't think Collins, Jovan Haye, Nate Washington and company are willing to to re-do theirs for the same reason.

8. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Flame me if you guys want, but we have brought in some quality running backs and if CJ continues to hold out, it's going to get to a point to where he HAS to play and by not playing it hurts his own career.

No one on this board will admit this but Running Backs are replaceable in today's NFL. 10-15 years ago, running backs would get 25-30 touches a game. Now, most teams only give running backs only get half of that (except in our offense)

I would bet the farm that if CJ didn't play this year and we had to name a new starter ANY running back on our roster can be a 1,000 yard rusher, even the UDFA's. Thanks to our "overpaid" OLine.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

You're gonna feel so foolish when VY leaves here with zero playoff wins because the Titans choose not to resign him. Vince Young coming together and keeping us afloat by himself was the funniest thing I've read in a long time. The only thing Collins ever did was come in and help out when Young laid down. Why anyone would have so much hate for him I'll never understand. CJ will be back by training camp, and Fisher isn't holding anyone hostage. Try blaming your hero Bud Adams.

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Not rewarding the productive is a certain way to incentivize players not to produce anything beyond what is necessary to keep from getting cut. They will simply wait until their contract year and then get out of town where the money is. This "re-negotiation" is different than the usual "overpaying" arguments that we hear so often.

The Titans focus too much on "depth" by holding on to non-productive vets. These non-productive vets come in and "keep it close" but in my book a loss is a loss. I'd rather have a locker room full of guys going the extra mile to get paid a big contract. It doesn't necessarily have to be with the Titans, but we'd benefit from their extra effort. I'm sure with an evironment like that we wouldn't have as many guys missing OTA's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar