Extra Point Rule Changed

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

I never believed this would increase 2 point tries. If your NFL kicker isn't pretty much automatic at 32 yards, you need a new kicker. I don't think a kicker would have a job if a coach thought he was miss barely outside the 30 very often. It happens, but pretty rarely.

I recall Succop missing a few easy kicks. :D

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Seattle used a fake FG attempt on Green Bay to advance in this past post season

3. JCBRAVE

The new rule doesn't encourage you to go for 2 at all either, at best its a 50/50 chance you convert, but now fumbles and interceptions can be returned for 2-points by the defense, theres no incentive to go for 2 now, especially when it could cost you points if you turn it over and its ran back

4. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

Oh OK. I wasn't meaning it has never happened. I just don't recall. It's not something that will be missed, IMO. The additional action within the new PAT rules more than makes up for a play that hardly ever happens.

5. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Just another way for the Titans to lose a game ... I can def. see a missed PAT costing us a game this year. It just the Titan way.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  6. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

The return for points by the defense is something that will RARELY happen. I'm not sure it will scare coaches off in a situation that they would normally go for 2 in. Usually youre only going for 2 out of necessity. So settling for 1 isn't going to be an option in that situation. Losing by 2+ if you don't make it or its returned or losing by 1 if you make the PAT won't make much of a difference in a scenario where a team has to have 2 points.

7. Thaddeus43

Chances of the D returning are very small, if I am a coach, that doesn't really factor into my decision making at all. Which means it will probably happen to the Titans this year . Its just the Titan way.

But, Its just one of those things that if it happens, well its just not your day ... Kinda like Reynaud taking a safety on opening kickoff.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. JCBRAVE

its also only a 1-year rule, they'll review the rule in 2016 and see if it stays

9. Thaddeus43

Even over the last several years I wondered what would happen if a coach went for 2 every time instead of going for the PAT. Assuming that the PAT was 100% and 2 pt was 50%, then it would break even. All you need is a creative coach/player that can get you to about 55-60% success rate on 2pt and it would be worth it.

Now, if the PAT success rate is only 91%, I would really like to see a coach go for 2 every time ... although still I doubt anyone has the guts to do it.

10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I did a post last year after researchng it...

from the 15 it wont make much difference at all.

I could see it being an issue depending on weather. Blustery day in Chicago in December so instance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar