Excellent 3-Cone Drill Article

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by GLinks, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Stuff like listings are malarkey. I think they're a great starting point, but not all of them change that frequently.

Here's their list:

1. Malcolm Jenkins Ohio St. 6-01/8 204 4.55
    2. Vontae Davis Illinois 5-111/8 203 4.49
    3. Alphonso Smith Wake Forest 5-9 193 4.52
    4. Darius Butler Connecticut 5-103/8 183 4.53
    5. D.J. Moore Vanderbilt 5-87/8 192 4.53
    6. Sean Smith Utah 6-31/2 214 4.53
    7. Coye Francies San Jose St. 6-03/8 185 4.56
    8. Jairus Byrd Oregon 5-101/8 207 4.55
    9. Sherrod Martin Troy 6-1 198 4.52
    10. Kevin Barnes Maryland 6-01/4 187 4.52
    11. Victor Harris Virginia Tech 5-111/4 198 4.63
    12. Mike Mickens Cincinnati 5-111/2 184 4.50

I think I immediately put #s 5, and 7-10 below Harris. Mickens ran high 4.5s at his pro day (boo). He was one I was keeping an eye out for. Kevin Barnes and Sherrod Martin are climbing some boards, especially Sherrod Martin, I would guess, for being in an article about 3-cones -- and maybe are becoming 3rd - 4th round types now, but Moore and Francies (whose starting CB partner is reportedly catching and maybe passing him on boards) are falling.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles...profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-analysis

Here's his analysis from NFL.com. If I'm honest with myself, he sounds like a young Nick Harper. Years ago when he first entered the league, I wouldn't have wanted him. But despite a lot of average-looking-ness, he continued to just make plays at the right time. This is the thing that could make me continue to reconsider Alphonso Smith up until the end, probably.

"Natural playmaker. ... Versatile athlete with the skills to help at multiple positions."

"A versatile athlete who has seen time at cornerback, free safety, running back, wide receiver and as a returner on both kickoffs and punts, Harris was used all over the field for the Hokies and presents similar options for his future NFL employer."

The bad stuff supports the speed issue. All the DB times start at 4.46 official. That is suspicious because it's never happened as far as I know. So automatically, I figure you got to give everyone a bye until their pro day. If they can't do that well either on their home turf then it's two strikes. If a team has questions or interest remaining, bring that prospect in and run them on the environments they will play on most anyway.

Harris so far is one of the few who is living up to his reputation, such as it is.

For where we pick and all, maybe a trade down is a good thing. It'll be interesting to see which teams want to claw their way back up again into the first.

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I like Gilbert, but curious to know why Marks? Ayers is riding it big-time if media can be believed. Heard a duo mocking him in the middle of round one today. Who knows if they'll be right or not.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Anything below 7.0 is GOOD. Anything above and you have to look at other factors...shuttle, 40, difference between 40 and shuttle, and game film.

I like that the article makes a point in how useful the 3 cone drill is...but then it makes a couple of bad analogies. It compares 2 players. The guy with the better cone, has a 'successful' season even though he was on a dreadful D. The faster guy...was hurt. Where's the comparison?

Further, it says Jenkins cone is in the below avg range...but under his description says it's impressive??!?!?!?

Game film, senior bowl practices are more important than any particular stat as long as that stat is not crazy. Did a 4.72 40 stop Boldin from not only being a starting WR in the NFL, but a Pro Bowl caliber WR?

Furthermore, there are plenty of guys with blistering 40, shuttle, and cone who can't play...so you can't put too much stock in these things or you're gonna draft the most athletic guys...not the best prospects. Happens every year.

Why did we take Calico...Woolfolk? How did they work out?

You know who probably has the best combo of 40, shuttle, cone and size? Fuller. How come he can't start and be a Pro Bowler?

Playing the game is more than triangle numbers so upgrading or downgrading too much based on those is a mistake in my opinion.

Gut

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Instead of saying this was the 18th or 24th or whatever, just give the number...

DJ Moore's 7.0 cone isn't bad. Butler - who's probably the most athletic CB who can really play well had a 6.92.

And while you wanna jump all over Alphonzo Smith, where do you list he's at the top or top 3 in coverage skills, anticipation, hands for the INT, ect? Seems to me Dre Bly was a pretty sucessful CB in the NFL and Smith is a fair comparison.

You don't want Smith in rnd 1 - fine. But you make it sound like he can't play in the NFL because his cone was a 7.09. You're talking 9 HUNDRETHS of a second from solid.

When I hear these kinds of arguments, I remember a conversation I heard between two coaches...

Coach A - We have great athletes playing LB, but they don't play nearly as well as your guys.
    Coach B - I'll take a 4.75 (40) LB who has great instincts and will instantly go where he needs to go over a 4.50 LB who doesn't (have great instincts). The 4.75 guy will beat the 4.50 guy most of the time.

I'm not saying Alphonzo Smith is a top 10 pick...just pointing out that everything is in context. There will be UNDRAFTED CB's who will have better triangle numbers than many CB's who get drafted. The difference is...Football is not all about running a 40, doing a cone drill, or doing a 20yd shuttle in shorts.

Gut

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

FYI, the knocks on Harris (besides what you already know) are that despite his excellent change of direction ability, he's not good in man coverage. He also has a fairly poor vertical (34") which will be seen as a detriment considering he's under 6'0. And I believe his 4.46 40 was on astroturf so you can add a few hundredths for comparison sake.

Gut

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Which Cb's do you think are worth pick 30?

Harris I'm sure is knocked down because he wasn't an elite cover corner in college. He was good, but he also played on a very good D so he didn't have to cover as long and could gamble more. He's not that fast, tall and has a mediocre vertical.

You want gilbert in rnd 1? WHY? We already have a few good DT's who are undersized and quick. And Gilbert is athletic, but doesn't have a great first step which limits him at DE and he doesn't hold the double team well which means he'll be a 3 technique DT. ALL of our DT's are 3 technique DT's. Someone's gotta play off the OC's shoulder. I think that's a reach...even if we didn't have a 3 tech starting DT.

Ayers is interesting for you to project as a worthy first rnd pick. Here's a guy who's official 40 at the combine is 4.90...which is terrible unless you're 290lbs! He had only 18 reps of 225lbs...BAD for a DL and his sub 30" vertical indicates a lack of explosiveness in the lower body. He was virtually non-existent until his senior year and even then only got 3 sacks. He was also arrested in 2005 for assault I believe. Meanwhile, you dog Alphonzo Smith because his 40 is mediocre (not bad) and his cone is a little below avg...but Smith was a dominant player on the field. Ayers had a nice Senior Season but if not for one week of practices (Senior Bowl), he's not close to sniffing rnd 1.

Marks I also don't like in rnd1. He had a bit of a disappointing final year and doesn't play to his athleticism. And while he's a good one on one run defender, he's not good at holding up vs the double team.

Gut

7. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Ayers ran a 4.77 in the 40 and had a best time of 4.68.

A misdemeanor charge in 05' and no further trouble since then is hardly a warning flag.He was a team captain last season.

His bench press is poor but Jason Jones also only managed 18 reps and he looked good as a rookie.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Yes, and I'm wary of his "emotional style of play," as well, which usually equals "penalties" more than you'd like.

I'll go a step farther. He ran a hand-timed 4.46 on astro turf. And yeah, he's kind of suspect in man coverage, I agree. But again, I had the same concern about Harper.

Hopefully the Titans have all the CBs they have interest in for a visit.

9. 24

24 Starter

I like Sean Smith or Darius Butler with our first pick. I think we can reach for either of these two players.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Where did you get 4.77 and 4.68 times on him? I know Draftscout lists him at 4.77 because they don't seem to trust all the combine numbers...but those are guesses...

However, he did run an avg of 4.90 at the combine. Even if you bump his time up .05 for that seemingly slow electronic timing, he still runs a slow 4.85. Everyone knows he doesn't have a great first step and doesn't have good speed. He didn't play hard til this last season...why?

He had a nice senior year but not first round worthy...more like 3rd. And that with him being able to line up all over the place to create mismatches. And even with all that, he had what? 3 sacks?

He's an average athlete who's rise in draft stock comes from playing Andre Smith well and giving Michael Oher good battles at Senior Bowl practices (and the game). Question is, if he can play 2 of the top OT's well, how come he didn't dominate everyone else? This lack of production is disturbing if you're projecting him as a pass rusher.

It's also thought that he didn't play hard til he was playing for an NFL contract. How hard is he gonna play when he's a millionaire?

His likely upside is as a good run defending LDE or he bulks up and is like a Jovan Haye. We don't need another Jovan Haye. Jason Jones/Tony Brown and I wouldn't spend a 1st rnd pick on a nice run defending LDE.

So he likely has limited upside and could be a complete bust if he's just playing for one contract. In general, if you're not a high motor or motivation guy, you don't belong in rnd 1.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar