Examining Gregg Williams’ last stop

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

With the Titans interested in bringing Gregg Williams back to the staff in some capacity, it’s worth taking a look at how Williams fared in his last stop before getting suspended in the “Bountygate” scandal last year.

Williams’ defenses in New Orleans had their share of ups and downs over three seasons, but his last unit was a particularly poor one.

In 2011, the Saints ranked 24th in overall defense, 31st in takeaways, 30th against the pass, 28th in interceptions and 31st in red-zone defense. (If you’re looking for bright spots, the Saints finished 13th in points allowed and 12th against the run).

In other words, Williams’ 2011 with the Saints was comparable to Jerry Gray’s 2012 with the Titans, when Tennessee’s defense posted some horrific numbers: 27th overall, 32nd in points allowed, 24th against the run, 26th against the pass and 30th in red-zone defense.

Williams’ final memory with the Saints wasn’t a good one either, as his defensive unit was torched by Alex Smith, Vernon Davis and the San Francisco 49ers in a 2011 playoff loss. Smith threw for 299 yards and three touchdowns, Davis caught seven passes for 180 yards and two touchdowns, and the 49ers scored two TDs in the final 2:11 of the contest against a Saints’ defense that was criticized as too passive.

Williams’ contract ran out after that season and he quickly took a new job under Jeff Fisher in St. Louis. Saints coach Sean Payton, asked at the time if he ever offered Williams a new contract, said, “We never really got to that spot.”

So what would hiring Williams as a defensive assistant in some capacity mean for the Titans?

It’s reasonable to believe he’d provide a boost, given his wealth of experience and knowledge, and because he’d bring a more aggressive mindset to the defense. But there were plenty of whispers that offenses had figured out how to handle Williams’ gambling defenses in New Orleans. After all, in his three years there, the Saints never finished above 13th in the league in sacks and they only once finished higher than 20th in takeaways.

I certainly don’t think one should judge Williams based solely on 2011, or even solely on the three years he spent with the Saints, considering that in his overall career as a defensive coordinator (12 years), he’s produced five top-10 defenses.

But if you use that argument, you certainly can’t judge Gray on just one awful year either. In the six years Gray has been a defensive coordinator, he’s twice produced defenses that ranked second in the league.

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Analysis, League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. titantrusince82

titantrusince82 I'm down with the Titans for better or worse

Roman Harper being injured hurt the Saints D that year.

3. yanek27

yanek27 Starter

I love how people are making a big deal with Williams but our DC now gave up the most points in franchise history and its ok to look the other way. I dont see how in anyway this can hurt our 30th ranked defense.

4. SATitan

SATitan Starter

Really, people want change and better coaching and I think this potentially addresses both of those situations. In fact, you now have a guy in place to take over if Munch gets the axe...

5. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

13th in points allowed = awful ?????

6. Ghost

Ghost 3 Time US Navy 7th Fleet "Hogging" Champion

7. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Wow..

8. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

i wonder when munch will bring in someone to be the assistant assistant head coach to run the offensive side of the ball with loggains

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Having a senior assistant in McGinnis seemed to yield better results in 2011 but honestly i'm not sure what that job entails. I thought Munch retained Mcginnis mainly to help with that initial year as Munch learned the HC job but Fisher hired Mcginnis to do the same thing with all his experience.

Wiliams could be helpful to the offense also by giving his input on how he would defense Locker or how he would try and stop CJ. I don't see how it could hurt to have a guy with that experience level and intelligence.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

So now 13th in points allowed is the same as 32nd?? :crazy: I don't give a crap about giving up yards, as long as the opponent doesn't score.

And in those 2 seasons, did he happen to be DC for a Gregg Williams led Buffalo Bills?

Who writes this ****??

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar