Everybody Needs To Calm Down

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Crash Override, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Naw, just got lazy and quit monitoring it in the vets and quit teaching it in the rooks.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Are you serious?

3. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

We can say what we want about the defense against Denver, whether it was preseason or not, it was Schwartzs' behavior on the sidelines, caught on camera, that puts the icing on the cake. For the Titans to be sugar-coating this game, Schwartz was acting like it was a playoff game.

4. Riverman

Are you? My response is part tongue-in-cheek but I don't know what happened after '03 to make the defense look sloppier. I know we differ on who we think is responsible for the technique differences.

5. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Look at the defensive roster in 03, and compare it to the roster in 05, and I think that will give you a hint what happened. And 04 we had a decent d roster until they all got hurt.

6. Riverman

We got smoked early in the seaon in '04 before the injuries started piling up. No way should the D have been that weak in 05 with what they had. (not great, but not that bad either and not demonstrating "poor technique")

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Tell me who on the '05 defense would crack the starting lineup for any top 10 NFL defense. You had Bulluck and KVB who both had solid seasons. After that, you have Hayesworth who played well in stretches and wasn't on the field other times. That's a short list.

That's two or three players we can say is quality. After that, you have a ton of inexperience, guys who haven't done much in their career or those recovering from major injury.

Long, LaBoy, Odom, Sirmon, Woolfolk, Pacman, Hill, Thompson, Williams, Kassell, Beckham, Waddell, Gardner, Nickey, Starks, Clauss, Schobel.

Honestly, do you see a starter for any top 10 defense in the league in 2005?

8. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I didnt think our D had much last year. We started 2 rookie corners, one a 7th rd pick, the other didnt participate in training camp. We had Tank at safety who just sucked and did not look like he had fully recovered from his injuries from the previous year. Bulluck was our only established LB, since Sirmon missed the whole year, and Starks, Laboy, and Odom were second year guys that didnt really make that next step up from their rookie years. I just didnt see that as a defense I expected to be good. This is the year that we are going to tell if our last several drafts have been good or bad. The CBs arent rookies anymore, Laboy, Starks, etc are now in their 3rd year, and we compliment those guys with Hope and Thornton who are both solid players. I think Schwartz has been unfairly blamed the last few years for the poor defense, but I will say that this year there are no more excuses, and this team needs to improve, or we probably need FO and coaching changes all around.

9. Riverman

Here is where we differ:

Here is where we agree.

We're going nowhere with the "blame" debate. I can certainly "agree to disagree" and leave it at that. (Plus, I'm exhausted with discussing the issue!:yes: )

I think we both agree the best outcome is for this defense to play better ball for the rest of '06 than they did in '04 and '05 and against the Broncos last week. In my book, that means better technique, attitude, schemes, execution and results. Anything short of that is a coaching failure.

10. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Your right TJ. Some people won't take the blinders off and think Shwartz is the demize of the entire organization. If you ask me, I thought the Offense looked horrible I think that Chow isn't exactly panning out like we thought either. The entire coaching staff is to blame not just one or two guys. I think we should be much better this year than last year as far as talent is concerned and we should be competitive on D. People will lose jobs if we suck this bad all year.

Like I've said before, I'm out of free passes for this team. I don't realistically expect the play-offs this year but I expect us to be competitive enough to win our share of games and compete against some good teams.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar