Ever have a credit card number stolen?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TitanJeff, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I actually prefer cash. I easily lose track of my spending when I'm swiping a card (it doesn't feel like I'm losing money). I limit my debit card for electronic payments, gas, etc.

I also did the "see ID" thing. It never worked.

2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I'm the exact opposite. I like to have an online record of all my transactions so I can tell when I'm getting too crazy with eating out or hobbies.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Truth is, most clerks just don't give a crap.

My wife is on the board for our local Babe Ruth organization. And sometime last year their checks were stolen. The thief managed to make several reasonably expensive purchases with the checks by simply endorsing them "Babe Ruth". True story.

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

kinda related

when I am getting gas at places other than around the 'boro I almost always have to put in my zipcode. I have too do this even in Nashville or Columbia. If a stupid gas pump knows Im not 'local' why would not a fancy smancy online place know that TJ is not from California ?

5. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Believe it or not, Most credit card thefts are perpetrated by servers. You have to think... out of anyone else in the entire world besides yourself, your card has been in the hands of a server the 2nd longest amount of time since the card was made. I always get leary when servers take off with my card for more than a minute or two.

Knock on wood, I haven't had a credit card stolen.. but it might be because i only have one and it has a very low limit on it.

Unfortunately, back in 2004... I was in a computer lab on campus playing online poker.. Perhaps someone else in the lab saw what i was doing over my shoulder... but it was like 3:30am and the lab was 24.7 and ended up I leaving after a big winning session... I had to put on my poker face and not get up and get excited as i knocked out 6 players at the final table. First place paid $5,000.. unfortunately i took 2nd for 3,000. Not a bad nights work... I finished homework AND made a few grand... I go to bed feeling estatic!

Wake up the next day.. i log in my account... and there's something a miss. There isn't 3k in there.. theres only 900? WTF?

Long story short.. i call the poker site, they claim that i played after i went home last night from the same exact PC so they weren't buying my claim that I didn't know where the $2,100 went... I look a bit more closely at my account and some idiot puts his first.lastname(at)college.edu as my email address... and it all clicked. Someone from the lab was watching me... and they logged in and lost 2100 of my money after i left the lab.

I was livid! I had that guys name... but what if someone just said that name to make me look for that guy because this was online poker and the police wouldn't help me over something like that. it would be like going to the police for drug money.

Well a few days pass by and I cool off and my bank calls me... Apparently.. i didn't lose $2100... I lost $5000.. That's right, who ever hacked my account in the lab made two $1000 checking deposits into my poker account and left me $900 of my own money in there...

Problem.. I was a poor college kid that didn't have 2k in the bank account. Infact, I didn't even have 200. The bank was furious. I went down there and signed affidavits saying that it wasnt me and i wrote the email address of that my poker account was changed to and the woman at the bank called my campus police up, gave them his name, and they apparently arrested him in his dorm. They go to his dorm and find a pound a weed, 100 extasy pills, searched his PC and found tons of CC#s and he had about 10k in cash.... in a private dormroom of all places.

Moral of the story... don't use your sensitive info on public computers. I am still out that 3k that i won that night. :(

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I hate carrying cash with me. For whatever reason I feel like I spend it faster.

7. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

I used to run credit cards for an online business i was running back in the day and i had an account through authorize.net and used MAXMIND.COM to screen all of my orders for fraud,

basically, when the card is scanned... maxmind is smart enough to tell you if the sale is fraud about 99% of the time. Atleast that was my indication. There was one extraneous circumstance where MAXMIND was wrong.. it was because one of my clients bought something from me online... his card address was in indiana, he and his visa were ordering from France. But how many times does that happen? Even then tho, it tripped my fraud threshold because it rates your transactions on a scale of 1-10... and i set my fraud barrier at 2.. and his order came in at a 4.5... I had seen plenty of orders come in as a 10.0 meaning they were certainly stolen cards.

http://www.maxmind.com/app/ccv_overview

Check it out, basically, a report is generated and if certain thresholds aren't met... the sale isn't processed.

8. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

How often have you guys had your card frozen because you are traveling?

Last September, I drove to Lincoln, NE for SCCA Solo Nationals. I buy gas in TN, then KY, then MO, then IA, all over the course of a day, then use my card in Lincoln for a week, then I buy gas in KS, then MO, then I get a hotel in Illinois, then buy gas in KY, and then my card gets denied when I'm buying gas 20 miles from home. If you are going to freeze it, why wait until I get home?

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I know what you mean, I am the exact opposite lol

If I have cash I view it as "its out of my account so its basically already spent". I keep a close eye on my accounts though so it doesn't get me in trouble.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

:yes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar