Eventual NFL Division Realignment.....

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

Every decade or two the NFL ends up shaking things up by realigning the division a team plays in.For instance it has now been a solid decade or so since new divisions were created.

Prior to being in the AFC South the Titans used to be in the old AFC Central with Pittsburgh,Baltimore,Cleveland and Cincy.

When the NFL adds a team or two to the league and of course most likely it will be Los Angeles then we know things will change.They will shake things up again or maybe this time keep everything the same except for minor tweaking.

Some won't agree but i get the feeling it will be the Jacksonville Jaguars who end up moving to Los Angeles.If that does happen then there is no way they will stay in the same division they are in now.

If the Jaguars did move it would make since to put them in the west in either the NFC or AFC West.Most likely a team from west like St. Louis in the NFC or Kansas City from AFC would fit perfect in the AFC South to take Jacksonville's place.

Sometimes when the league realigns certain rivalries come to an end like ours did with Pittsburgh,Baltimore,Cleveland.

New rivalries take place such as Houston and Tennessee but there will always be traditional ones like Green Bay and Chicago.

2. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

yeah i get the feeling it will happen before or around 2015. I don't know what it is about florida teams but no one ever wants to go to their games. Look at the dolphins, bucs, jags.. and even in MLB, you have the marlins and rays who get pitiful attendance.

For example, there was a Marlins/Reds game that only drew an attendance of 300 people.

I've heard rumors about the bills and rams moving to LA. Everyone thinks that bringing a team to LA is going to be received with open arms. I disagree. The problem with sports in places where there are a million other things to do.. is when the team sucks.. or isn't the very best in the league, no one goes to the games. Rams and Raiders, for example.

They're having problems getting people to go to San Diego... which is probably one of the nicest cities in America which has 3 million people. There's also a million other things to do other than go to a football game. And as much as I hate to admit it.. San Diego is not a half bad football team.

Then you have cities like Nashville... Whose population of Nashville-Davidson County stood at 635,710 as of the 2009 census (wiki) who wholeheartedly support the football and sell out every single home game.

3. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

IMO, there won't be any need for realignment because I don't think Jacksonville will move to LA. The team that eventually commits will probably be a team with current or upcoming stadium issues, Jacksonville doesn't have that problem.

The obvious and logical choice is San Diego for numerous reasons. Raiders and Vikings are possible too, but I honestly see the Rams as the #2 choice. Only realignment scenario is if it's the Vikings that move whereas they could shuffle the Rams into the NFC Central and Vikes to NFC West.

4. quagliero

quagliero Teh Awsum

Who makes the ultimate decision? The commissioner? Or is it voted on by the owners?

They may just leave it. Dallas plays in the NFC East, for example, so geographically they're not exactly perfect.

5. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

The owners vote whether or not to allow a new franchise.

I don't think there will be a realignment under the current CBA. 32 teams works, 33-34 will just create huge f*ck-ups in the scheduling.

6. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Realignment means moving one of the existing teams to LA. It doesn't mean adding a team.

7. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

Thats what they need to do.Move existing team and not adding any new ones.It works perfect with 32 teams.Anything more than that will throw everything out of whack and probably won't work.

Four teams in four divisions in two conferences is perfect.The way it is now in my opinion is the best so far out of all the times the league realigned teams and divisions.Its set up and balances out perfect.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

One more thing i wanted to chime in on is i think it would be a mistake to add one or two more playoff teams to the postseason.We already have a few 8-8 and even 7-9 teams squeaking in.Adding one or two more will definitely water it down too much.If they do that you know the day will come where a 9-7 team meets a 7-9 one in the Super Bowl and the league definitely doesn't want that.

9. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Watch the Colts switch after Manning is finally gone.

10. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

Yeah i'd pissed if Manning finally left and then they yank the Colts out of our division.Without Manning i'm thinking thats two W's for us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar