Even With Spy, Young Successful Running

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Vince Young rushed nine times for 78 yards in Sunday’s 20-17 upset of the Indianapolis Colts, including six times for first downs on a third-down play. Titans Coach Jeff Fisher said the Colts tried to spy Young with a defensive lineman to contain him, but were unsuccessful. “They spied yesterday, and he ran right by them,” Fisher said. “Now, they spied with a defensive lineman, but if you put a DB in there, he’s going to run right through them. When you’re dealing with a quarterback who’s got the ability to throw the football and has got legs to get on the edge and has got the ability to pull it down and run, you have to be sound. You have to play sound defense. The Colts scheme was sound. At times, they had nine guys on the line of scrimmage. Most of the time on first down, they’re playing zone, so they could see him, they just couldn’t get him down.”

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. plato

plato Camp Fodder

Vince being 6/5 235lbs pass first QB causes so many problems compared to Vick who is 6/0 200lbs soaking wet and will run anytime someone flashes in front of him...

It takes a DB 4 or 5 yards to get him down and most LB's can not even touch him in the open field because of his great moves and speed.. Vick has not broke a tackle since college..

Anyone who believes Vince only runs a 4.55 is mistaken.. I recently watched the 40 he ran at the UT pro day and to say he was ready to run a fast time would be silly.. Most players take 15-20 seconds just to get lined up and in a stance.. Vince took about 5 seconds and then kind of stumbled in his first few steps..

He said after his disappointing 40 that he didn't think he would be asked to run because he thought he had proved that part of his game... He was there to throw and had to be jeered by his teammates and scouts to run the forty.

Vince said if he wanted to really spend time like many players do to lower their 40 times he thinks he could run in the 4.40-4.42 range after a couple of weeks of training at a speed camp, maybe faster.. He instead has spent time just throwing the ball, working on his footwork and learning more about pro defenses...

3. VinceIsGod

VinceIsGod Guest

The issue with Vince is not his speed.

What makes him great is how hard he is to tackle. Don't get me wrong, he IS fast, but he's not "track" fast.

Vince is "football" fast.

Meaning, if you put two guys out there, with pads and make them run through, around, and over defenders, Vince would get to the endzone faster than pretty much anyone (including any RBs, WRs, whatever).

4. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

I like the way he holds the ball while running. Opposite Vick who invites the defense to take it out of his small hand.

5. plato

plato Camp Fodder

I don't think I brought up any issues...What type of 40 would you consider track fast..?? 4.41 and below?

I read on draftblitz he ran 4.42-4.43 for Houston and New Orleans in private workout's.... It didn't list what he ran for Tenn.. That's pretty damn fast on a track or any surface....

6. Titansfan10

Titansfan10 Camp Fodder

i dont care if he ran a 6.0 40 yard dash as long as hes running as fast as has been in games, the 40 is really an overrated workout because its all about game speed anyway, sure it helps but its not everything

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

i like how he appears to glide across the field, and yet he must be going mock 5 because he never gets touched on his runs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar