ESPN's Football Today podcast 04/22/11

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by titanbuoy, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I just finished listening to the latest podcast of ESPN's "Football Today". Today's show featured Matt Williamson and Greg Cosell discussing various draft prospects, including most of the QB's. Williamson is a former scout and the regular host of the show, and for those not familiar with Cosell, he's the ultimate film guy. That's strictly his thing, he breaks down game film, and he's one of the best at it. He's quite candid that his assessments of players are strictly based on their play on the field. He gives no consideration to off field issues, character, injuries etc. I found the show to be very informative and unique in the sense that you could tell that Cosell's views were his own, strictly based on watching game film... I don't think he pays any attention at all to how the draft pundits are rating prospects.

Check it out if you can.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=2544457

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Great stuff. Comments he made on the QBs:

None worthy of #1.

Gabbert: Big arm. Makes all the throws. Over-reacts to pressure. He struggles making decisions against press man coverage. Both might be coachable but drops his value in his opinion.

Newton: Tough to evaluate. Stands in when pocket gets "muddy" but often inaccurate. Makes some outstanding throws but often misses on touch passes.

Locker: Uncomfortable playing from the pocket. Says he's a third-round pick.

Kaepernick: Sees a lot of the same skills as with Gabbert. Not much difference in their attributes. Big arm.

Ponder: Compares him to Sanchez. Not the big arm but thinks his talents will transition well. Touch passer. Slow in drop and delivery but coachable. Not elite but a quality starter on a West Coach offense.

Dalton: Says he is a third or fourth-round pick. Average arm. Compares to Colt McCoy.

Mallet: I didn't hear him mentioned at all.

3. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

His comments on both Locker and Dalton scared me quite a bit (especially Locker). Obviously the Titans staff are seeing the same film of Locker as Cosell and if they go ahead and pick him at eight apparently they think his flaws are correctable... but comments like "happy feet", "plays to fast" and "looks rushed in the pocket" are pretty troubling (especially coupled with accuracy concerns).

Something has been bothering me about the Titans perceived infatuation with Locker. Is the team switching to a more west coast style of offence or not? I realize the switch in offence might not fully be taken into effect until 2012 due to the lockout, but we are talking a longterm QB solution here right? So a QB's fit in this year's version of the Titans offence shouldn't be a huge factor. My perception has always been that the WCO puts a premium on accuracy rather than arm strength (hitting receivers in stride on short to mid-level crossing routes for big run after catch type plays is it's bread and butter no?). Wouldn't this make Locker the least likely prospect skill-set wise for the Titans to select? Just wondering.

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Who said the Titans were going WCO? I must have missed that. That would have a big impact on what QB they take.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I think Munchack made some comments about CJ being involved in more screen passes.

6. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

You know I just went back and listened to all of the pressers (Munchak's first couple and Palmer's introductory ones), and they made it pretty clear they were willing to build the offence around the players on the roster (as opposed to simply implementing a system). I don't know how the hell I got the notion that Munchak said he wanted to eventually transition into a west coast type system (and the hiring of Palmer only seemed to confirm that). It's funny because every time I've seen a pundit talking about what type of QB the Titans are looking for and the guy says the Titans like to get the ball vertically down the field, I've been annoyed because I was under this stupid misconception that the team was changing philosophies.

So yeah, nevermind. :lol:

(it's not easy making my way through life equipped with this brain)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar