ESPN Article "One Strong Draft Away"

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by NewHorizans, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewHorizans

NewHorizans Titans Ruckus (oYo)

This past week, writer Matt Williamson from ESPN wrote an article for Insider members call "Teams One Strong Draft Away". I would add the link, but if you aren't an Insider member, you won't be able to read it. So I thought I would go over the 'cliff notes' version here.

Basically he listed 5 teams that didnt make the playoffs last year who show enough promise that after a good draft next month could be contenders next season. He referenced how the Vikings and Colts made the playoffs after drafting well this past season. In the article, he chose the Bears, Lions, Dolphins, Eagles, and Rams.

I thought it would be a good idea to get your idea of this list. I personally think the Lions and Bears could be playoff teams, as they were both in the playoffs in 2011. And both were close to making it in 2012, so to say they are just a draft away is truly correct, even though they play in a really tough division, anyone can win with the right talent. The other three teams however seem like shots in the dark. And I don't like how the 4 of the 5 are NFC teams. Since there aren't as many powerhouse teams in the AFC, wouldn't it make sense that at least two teams could be on this list?

I totally disagree with the Eagles, after a 4-12 season. Andy Reid getting fired, Vick still running things at QB. How can you say they completely turn things around with a good draft when they play in NFC East? The Skins, Cowboys, and Giants all have more talent and seem like way better chance for winning the division or at least a Wild Card spot. I also don't see anyway the Rams make the playoffs next year. If it were 5 years ago, things are totally different. But now the NFC West has two of the strongest teams in the NFL in the 49ers and Seahawks. One is gonna get the division, and the other a Wild Card, so unless the Rams can find ways to beat both of them at least once as well as win 8 other games, no chance. Even with Jeff Fisher leading the way. I see them being a few years away.

Do you agree or disagree with this list? Are there any other teams that might qualify? And how close are the Titans from making this list?

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Umm, the Lions were 4-12 last year, thats about as far from the playoffs as you can get. But I do agree that they're gearing up to make a strong run again this year like in 2011.

As for us and how far are we? Well according to Chris Johnson we're far far away, but in his defense that was before free agency when he crapped that comment out.

The Pats, Ravens and Steelers are no longer running things, and I don't believe in the Texans hype. The AFC is truly anyone's now, I say we're closer than most think.

One good draft that gives us 3-4 starters is all we need.

3. NewHorizans

True, Lions were also 4-12, but they played in a BUNCH of close games against really good teams. (not to mention the game against the Titans). They have enough talent that I can easily see them getting 10 wins. Totally different than Eagles

4. xhrr

xhrr Starter

I think the Bears are going to get worse before they get better. Cutler is an inconsistent douche and the defense is aging and already lost its heart and soul regardless of his declining production.

Philly ain't no where close. Foles is out of place in that system and Vick won't make it a full year and his play is up and down to begin with. The defense is atrocious outside of Trent Cole.

Rams will be a good but average team as most Fisher teams are. Bradford isn't a franchise guy and he has no weapons unless you consider Cook one and how many successful teams #1 target is a TE? Don't argue the Patriots here.

Miami and Detroit I can see.

5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

BEARS
    Protect Cutler and they'll be much better. Forte was bothered with injuries all year. Jeffrey was hurt, if he can stay healthy he provides a true #2 WR to get pressure off Marshall. They already added Bushrod, an upgrade over Webb @ LT, assuming Webb goes to RT now.. that signing upgraded two OL spots. They also brought in another target in Martellus Bennett, who's a huge upgrade to Kellen Davis. They now have 3 main targets for Cutler, not including his homie Bennett. On D, Wootton and Melton had breakout years, McClellin got another year. But can they replace Urlacher? They signed DJ Williams, but it's not about the field play, it's about the leadership. Also, how do they respond to losing Lovie? They need to pickup some interior OL help in this draft still.

Eagles
    No way. Chip will bring in some crappy college offense that will get figured out. That line still is crap. They switched to a 3-4 and still don't have any legit upfront defenders upfront, besides Cox. Solid at OLB with Barwin, Cole, Curry, and Graham. Nobody at ILB. Secondary was upgraded w/ Cary Williams, Bradley Fletched, Chung, and Phillips.. got rid of NA and DHB. They still need a new OL, a front 3, and ILB... I see maybe .500.

Dolphins
    Tannehill had a growing year, showed promise atleast. They added some targets in Wallace, Gibson, and Keller... Wallace is the perfect fit for them. However, they lost their probowl OT Jake Long and haven't replaced him. Also lost Reggie, whos ran for ~1000 yards the last two years. Can Lamar Mille rand Thomastake over? Ellerbe and Miller both added much needed 43 LB help. Marshall was hurt all last year, and is back. Secondary is still crap. I would trade a 2nd for Brandon Albert and use my 1st on a CB, if you do that... you could make a run for playoffs.

Lions
    Tough division, all 4 teams can play. Reggie/LeShoure should provide a run game, which is much needed. Still don't have a #2 WR, luckily Calvin can get triple-teamed and still get 150 yards/2 TDs. That defense is still a wreck, right now they have Ronnell Lewis and Willie Young as their starting DEs, that's terrible. Lost KVB and Avril, but haven't replaced them. They resigned Delmas & Houston and brought in Glover Quin, secondary is still weak. Also could use an upgrade to both OLB positions. They should go Ansah, but he'll take a year or so to develop into a star. Milliner is another options, but must find a passrush or Rogers/Cutler will dominate them. I dont see playoffs in their future.

Rams
    They showed promise last year. They lost their workhorse in S-Jax, but have two soph RBs ready to take over. Jared Cook will frustrate them, paid too much. Long was a huge pickup, allows Saffod to go back to RT. Dahl/Wells are good enough in the middle, but LG is still a huge hole. Givens/Quick show potential, but they have to find a #1 WR in this draft. Defense is solid but has holes, Brockers/Quinn/Long had great years. Big fan of Laurinatis and Dunbar played well, need a SLB still. CB is set for starters, Finny/Jenkins were great together but they need depth bad. They also could use 2 new safeties. They have 2 1sts this year and their 2nd, they need 3 starters at RG, WR, CB, and FS with those 3 picks.. that's a problem. The defense needs a slot corner and a FS, potentially another LB. Offense has more holes, potentially a RB, a true #1 WR, a RG. They have a shot, but dang that division won't be easy.

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'd like to throw out the Bucs too. They could make a run at playoffs.

7. NewHorizans

If I were doing this list it would look very different. I still like the Lions, but belive the Chiefs are gonna surprise some people next year. If Alex Smith can play well, they have alot of young talent on D, and their division only has the Broncos.

8. xhrr

xhrr Starter

Detroit - If Stafford can be more consistent they have the talent on both sides just need to put it together.
    Miami - Tannehill should improve barring a sophmore slump and they added some pieces, although Wallace will never live up to that contract he makes them better.
    Panthers - Scam Newton is going to get better and they are a young team who has momentum going into the year the way they finished. A receiving threat in the draft could make them dangerous.
    Giants - they are still talented and only really have the Redskins to worry about but RG3 and that defense are huge question marks. Dallas is gonna fall hard.

All teams I can see in the playoffs that weren't this year.

I'm on the fence about us

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

first off: it comes down to a few things: 1st of all: QB.

All of these teams they list have hopeful QBs. For some reason, they still bank on Bradford and Stafford to be good.

Locker is unpopular, and not many people nationwide have faith that he will be good.

A team that should 100 percent be added is the Saints.

10. xhrr

xhrr Starter

I considered New Orleans but I think ATL is still the division leader and Panthers are up and coming while the Bucs are serviceable. It's gonna be a tight division between those three.

Stafford is good albeit a little up and down. Bradford is Chad Pennington. Has the smarts but is fragile and lacks the arm strength to make all the throws and thread it in small windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar