Welcome to goTitans.com! Log in or sign up to be a part of the best Tennessee Titans fan site available.

Enough with the pink penalty flags

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TitanJeff, Oct 7, 2013.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
  1. JCBRAVE #getyourlifetogether

Casey
    Moolah:
    $216,148
    The NFL doesn't give 2 shlts about breast cancer, this is all about capturing female fans.
    Finnegan2win, Fry and crypta333 high five this.
  2. Deuce Wayne Damnit, I cant find my driving moccasins anywhere!

Martin
    Moolah:
    $15,646
    Yep. Which is what I came back to say...

Oh! That's right.... marketing. Ding!
    • Tip Jar Donor

mdfan Starter

Moolah:
    $6,650
    Insensitive female fan here
    don't like pink with football and I am getting to dread October
    I wish they could at least tone things back a bit
    • Tip Jar Donor

Creeping-Cruds GIV'R!

Pollard
    Moolah:
    $3,736
    Screw anything pink in the NFL. Dumb-idea. The field looks like a box of valentine candy blew up.

They can run commercials for breast cancer awareness ad-nauseum and I'll be just fine - but Oct is the month of black and orange - never pink.
    Scarecrow and JCBRAVE high five this.
  3. SawdustMan Pro Bowler

Bishop
    Moolah:
    $13,405
    • Staff / Moderator

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande

Locker
    Moolah:
    $9,504
    NFL returns to yellow penalty flags but changes footballs to...

[IMG]
  4. The Hammer Out for a rip

Matthews 2
    Moolah:
    $126,304
    Hey why not. MLB does pink bats

[IMG]
  5. nickmsmith has the most poverty RB corp.

Reynaud
    Moolah:
    $22,556
    "awareness" is a euphemism for "give us more money for operating expenses"

If money and funds are going towards RESEARCH, they should call it just that... that's one thing, but I've got a sneaky feeling that some people are getting very, very rich off of "awareness" campaigns. Just because an organization is non-profit, does not mean that people involved are not making significant chunks of money.

Same with the Livestrong campaign.. "Awareness" Is really a term that irks me.

There are some great people who support Komen, and a lot of survivors. I applaud that, and no disrespect to them at all. But you have to question where all this money goes. Turns out that they are one of the more transparent ones out there, but still, not a ton goes to actual research. 15 percent or so in 2012. So if they aren't dedicating a huge chunk to a cure, why do they call it "Race for the cure?" Should be "Race for Awareness." But that doesn't have the same ring to it. 43 percent was spent on "education." So basically they're throwing events to fund more events, to throw more events, with a side of helping for a cure.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/08/us-usa-healthcare-komen-research-idUSTRE8171KW20120208

If their main goal is to make people aware about Breast Cancer.. Congratulations.. consider it done. Everybody knows that pink equals breast cancer awareness.. Now.. where does the rest of these millions of dollars do?

I do music for a lot of non-profits, (I am admittedly a very small part of the problem) so I wouldn't go saying this on Facebook or anything.. but KNOW what you're donating to. For every 1,000 dollars you raise, you are actually raising 150 dollars for finding a cure, and 850 for other purposes, some good causes, some maybe. not so noble. And some of it goes into paychecks of the employees.

For every thousand dollars donated to a big charity.. there are at least a couple of people with breast cancer trying to make ends meet.. and barely making it due to medical expenses.
    Fry high fives this.
  6. Scarecrow CEO of PPO

Wright
    Moolah:
    $97
    I said similar things last year, its a sham, same with the support the troops thing they do.
    Finnegan2win and Fry high five this.
  7. RockyTop Fox Defensive Coordinator

Locker
    Moolah:
    $3,620

Those pink bats actually became a problem. Professional batters were so used to the weight of their bats, that just the slight added weight of the paint was enough to throw them off a bit.