eMule ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bobo, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I just dl'd emule, and I'm not getting anything to download. I had to dl "unicows" from MS, and I believe I did that part right (had to drag and drop unicows.dll into the emule file for emule to start up).

I hit the connect button when I started up emule, and it connected. I don't know what the "kad" thingie is, but it would not connect for me. Anyway, I tried to dl a few songs and they would never start to dl.

Help please :stars:

2. It won't necessarily start downloading immediately. The more sources you can get that file from, the sooner you are likely to get it. If it is available on just a few sources, it may take some time to start not to mention to completely download.

Not sure why KAD wouldn't connect as I've ner had any problem with it. But it's a network for P2P that emule can search/download from. You might check out the options. Potentially a firewall is blocking you from getting out.

3. NYTitansFan

NYTitansFan Guest

if i was you i would dump emule and just use torrents.

4. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I have ZoneAlarm, not sure if that's holding things up.

Could it take 5 minutes or so to start a dl?

5. It could take longer than that.

A firewall could stop you from connecting to KAD, but once you select a file to downlaod the firewall won't affect that.

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Does Kad have to be connected? Is there anyway I can tell if a song is trying to download? And should I try to dl the same song from different sources at the same time?

7. KAD doesn't have to be connected unless you want to do a search on KAD for files (in the Method pulldown on the Search section). But honestly I use KAD almost exculsively. I get files with more sources that way.

I often try to download the same file from multiple sources if I can't find one file from many sources at once.

Once you've used it for a while, you'll get a better feel for it. In the Transfers section, they give you all the info about how many servers carry that file, how many you are connected to, what percentage of the file is available, etc. There's no real way to know exactly how long it will take to download (I think they project it based on current download speed), but it's usually a function of file size, the number of sources available, and your download speed.

Another thing you might do (in the Options>>Connection) that may help is limit your uploading speed. If you don't, it will severely slow down your computer's downloading speed (not just for eMule). I keep mine set for 18KBs on DSL. The higher you set that speed, the faster eMule will theoretically allow you to download. But if you set it too high (or don't limit it) your uploading will choke off everything else.

8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Thanks for that info SK. But I'm guessing I still have a problem here (keep in mind I don't have a big vocabulary for this type of stuff).

When I connect, I click on the log icon on the lower right and I get 2 warnings saying I have "low ID". I read something about problems with ZoneAlarm, so I closed that, but that didn't help. Guess I'm going to try and find info on the low ID deal.

9. Not sure about the low ID thing, but there is a checkbox for it in Options.

There is a "recheck firewall" button on the right of the KAD section. You might try hitting that, though it may not help you any.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar