Effects of the Last 2 Days on the Draft...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by GoTitans3801, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Ok, a TON has gone on in the last few days, both for the Titans and around the league. What do you think will change in draft predictions?

Here's my take:
    New Orleans just got their QB for the next few years, I doubt they'll pull the trigger on one at number 2 when they just tied up 60 million on Brees. Miami, one of the biggest QB seekers, has Daunte. Detroit signed Kitna, and probably wouldn't pay a bundle to trade up for a QB. Will New Orleans make another pick at #2, or will they trade?
    There is much less demand for QBs now, Houston was rumored to be shopping for a trade, but didn't get much interest. I can't think of a team that would be at a point to trade up to grab a QB, can anyone? It doesn't seem like Chicago's style to trade that far up, and the Redskins are running out of money and draft picks. If New Orleans trades out, we'll have our pick of the three QBs.
    Why do I think we're taking a QB? Well, our biggest holes were O-line, safety, LB, and WR. None of those really could have been solved that early in the draft, or at least weren't worth it. Hawk was the closest, and with Thornton and Bulluck, I don't see us putting that much more investment into the LBs this offseason, maybe a little more for a backup. We've addressed WR, and O-line to some degree, so our major hole is QB. I think we'll take the one we think is the best and then hit up a safety in round two, unless we somehow manage to sign Chris Hope in the next few days, then round 2 becomes all about BPA.

I will say I don't think we're "gearing up for a run," despite the pickups. Thornton and Givens are both young guys who will be valuable to the team long term, and neither are huge names that will literally be all over the board. The Mawae pickup was a huge surprise, but apparently the FO didn't think we could use Bell or Amano (or Amato, I get them confused) to start, so they put some money into it because a truly great player was available.
    I think the reasons for this activity are that Reese and Fisher are finally feeling some pressure and are really making changes to make us better. We're definitely building a young team, but they know they're running out of time. They've made a HUGE deal about the character and leadership of all three signings, so they clearly want to make an impact on the additude and leadership on the team. I think this is just the first indication that they're running out of patience and truly expect us to make serious progress this next season.

All that being said, I'm THRILLED with the last few days, because I think we've seen our team making some big steps. Signing a franchise QB with the #3 pick will really stabilize us for some time to come.

What does everyone think about all this?

Any other major changes in either the draft interests of other teams, or of the Titans needs?

2. danny

danny Guest

The Titans right now have their choice of any one of the three QB's. If N.O. trades the pick, it will be to a team looking to get in front the Titans to get a QB. If New Orleans stays put, they'll draft anything but a QB and still leave any of three top QB's for the Titans to pick.

If I'm Reese, I wouldn't be against trading back to somewhere between #5-10 spots. You pick up a couple extra picks (potentially a first in next year's draft) and still have a shot at one of the three QB's if that what my heart is set on in drafting a QB.

If Mario Williams stock continues to rise and New Orleans trades the pick to another team that drafts a QB at #2, the Titans should look to trade back if Williams isn't the guy they want at #3 and really want to draft a QB to a team that assures them that they want Williams.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Unless NO does make a trade I stay put and take Leinart.

4. GoTitans3801

Danny, I know everyone thinks mario is really great, but I still don't think we'd pick him, even if we traded down. We resigned KVB, and I think the FO is confident that we're ok with the mix of Odom and LaBoy on the other side.

Soxcat, I agree. I don't know that Leinart is their top pick QB, but whoever it is, they can stay there and get whoever they want of the three.

As for a NO trade, the only team I can see being able/willing to do it is the raiders. They need a QB, but I think they'd be more likely to wait and take the number 2 or 3 out of the top 3 QBs. It would cost them a lot to move up, Reese likes to play hardball for trades...

5. metal957

metal957 Starter

If New Orleans traded with anybody they would trade with Arizona because face it Warner isn't that good and Fitzgerald, Bolden and now Edge need someone to throw the football to them.

6. danny

danny Guest

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

There will be lots of speculation as to how the draft will shake out now. Oakland may go up for Leinart or may be content to sit tight and take whoever falls to them. Al Davis may get a happy on for Vince Young and go to #2 to get him. Leinart in a Raydah suit might also sell tickets.

It'll be a fun next few weeks.

8. GoTitans3801

That's an interesting new top ten, let's see what the others say when they update...

9. thnom

thnom Camp Fodder

It's still not right!

Mario Williams is at #5 going to GB - when he's gonna slip or go earlier (GB signed their DE's so they may go after Ngata, DT)

Arizona if they get someone like Eric Winston will dominate next year

10. royhobbs

royhobbs Guest

1. Jets - Leinart. Eli & Matt rule Gotham City. Hollywood Matt meets Broadway Joe!
    2. Raiders - Cutler. Al Davis is a wildcard....big arm to throw deep.
    3. Titans - Bush. Can we be this fortunate? Chris Brown gets traded for our missing third rounder.
    4. Texans - Furguson. The move down pays off.
    5. GB - Williams
    6. Niners - Hawk
    7. Saints - Huff
    8. Bills - Ngata
    9. Lions - Justice. Young and Matt Millen just don't mix.
    10. Cards - Young. Green has the "stones" is make this pick. Warner is not getting any younger (no pun intended) and they need to sell season tickets for their new stadium.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar