Edwards’ first impression a good one

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Titans rookie defensive end Lavar Edwards didn’t exactly step gingerly into his first NFL game last Sunday.

Edwards, the team’s fifth-round draft pick out of LSU, wound up getting 29 snaps – the second-highest among Titans defensive ends, behind only Ropati Pitoitua (47 snaps) and ahead of more experienced players like Derrick Morgan (27 snaps due to a shoulder injury), Karl Klug (19 snaps) and Kamerion Wimbley (17 snaps).

Morgan’s injury clearly had a lot to do with the extent of Edwards’ playing time, but the 6-4, 278-pound rookie got positive reviews for his larger-than-expected workload.

He posted three tackles and also batted away a key, third-down Kansas City pass attempt, forcing the Chiefs to kick a field goal. Pro Football Focus gave him a 1.6 rating for the day, which was second-highest among Titans defensive ends, trailing only Morgan.

“He played well for the first time out,” Titans coach Mike Munchak said. “I think he did a nice job. He’s an athletic, good-sized kid. He did a good job in the run game and rushed pretty well … He came in and played a couple different spots, and we needed him more than we thought because of the (Morgan) injury.”

Edwards didn’t play in the Titans’ first four games, but his presence on the team’s roster allowed the Titans to cut veteran defensive end Keyunta Dawson last Saturday, when the team promoted quarterback Rusty Smith to the 53-man roster.

“Edwards could just get better and better, and could do more things for us (than Dawson),” Munchak said. “He has the size we’re looking for, so that’s why (the release of Dawson) happened.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Kam Wimbley now behind a 5th round rookie :clap:

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

And Edwards played better too. Jeez.

4. corymiller

corymiller New Era Connoisseur

Anyone else think this is Wimbleys last year in Tennessee?

5. Fry

It has to be. He's barely playing and is getting paid way too much for it. The only thing that saved him was most of salary being guaranteed for the seaso

6. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

There's no way it's not.. unless he does a major restructure.

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Like vet minimum

8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

At this point, I'd give it about a 0.5% chance he's not a cap casualty in the offseason. We spent a ton of money this past offseason and we need to make re-signing guys like Verner and Pollard top priority.

CJ can restructure or GTFO as well.

• High Five High Five x 3
  9. Fry

I'd be cool with just a straight up release of CJ. A lot of good RBs in the draft this year.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I'd be fine with that as well. He's useless without top-notch blocking and we're a ways away from having that.

I kind of have a feeling he's with a different team in 2014. I think he'd be willing to restructure. But I don't think he's going to want to restructure to the point where it makes sense for the Titans. He still think he's one of the best weapons in the league. I'm sure he'll be eager to prove it elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar