Eddie George update - looking forward to Training Camp

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

other then the fact Eddie ran 60 yards on one play against the Colts in the playoffs to help us get to the superbowl rather then going home.

2. Brian

Brian Big Fan

I disagree.

The thing separating George from Wheatley and Duckett was durability.

His first 5 years were HOF caliber. Not flashy, but dominant.

3. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Averaging 3.6 ypc is a first down. First downs move chains and moving the chains gives you scoring oppertunities.

Eddie ran power football and always fell forward. He is hall bound.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I don't think he is HOF bound. But he was great for Tennessee except the last few years.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Durability and consistency is always been key to Fisher. In his day, you could pretty much expect that Eddie would give you that 3.5 - 3.7 each time he touched the football. He rarely broke one or lost yardage. What I give Eddie the most credit for is doing this with the other team's defense geared to stop him.

Having someone you can count on like Eddie gave the Titans the ability to be more aggressive on defense because they knew the offense could string out long time-consuming drives which rested the defense.

After Eddie had the surgery his consistency remained but it was too low an average. He wasn't nearly as effective with team stacking it against him in the red zone and in other short-yardage situations. He lost that explosion and didn't have the beef in front of him to compensate.

6. Mac Attack

Mac Attack Guest

I do respect him for his durabilty. In that regard ONLY, he was a Hall of Famer.

Having said that...if he ever would have gotten hurt I would have been pretty confident Rodney or Skip or Holcombe or Brown would have covered off his production.

The 60 yard TD run against the Colts was his watershed moment no doubt. THAT was big. That's what the greats do routinely in big games. Unfortunately it didn't happen enough.

As for ball security, he was great in games that didn't matter. But Ray stripping him in the playoffs buried us. Also, go back to the Bills playoff game...he put the ball on the ground 2 or 3 times in that game. If the Titans don't recover Ed's last fumble we lose. There's even an NFL films clip of the Bills telling themselves that he's going to put it on the ground again...and it happened.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

ahh yes I remember Buffalo's coach being so confident. "Forward Pass" he said

muhahahahahaha oh no it wasn't

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I still say Dyson was not the intended receiver on that. It was Issac Byrd who was supposed to make that catch... he was pushed to the ground and Dyson made an adjustment and caught the ball. Mason was out and Dyson was subbed. That much is true.

9. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Nice bump BP. Quality old thread. It ain't always easy bleedin' double blue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. DJB

DJB Starter

"throw away 350 plays a year"? You do know the Titans were very successful "throwing away" plays most of Eddies time on the team. I'll take throwing away plays with Eddie George and winning games any day. When George was in his prime there weren't many other backs as intimidating. For whatever reason some people have amnesia when it comes to those years and choose to only remember the post injury final two seasons. Believe me if Tyrone Wheatley could have done what Eddie did he would have had the opportunities. The Giants didn't spend a high pick on him to have him stand on the sidelines

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar