Ebay @ PayPal Spoof Email

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by IndyTitan, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IndyTitan

IndyTitan So Peter...

I am not sure how many ebay and PayPal users frequent this board. However, for those have accounts on both websites, do you frequently receive spoof email from people trying to impersonate those sites?

Each week, I receive between 3-6 spoof emails for a PayPal transaction or a question from an ebay buyer. I know that I did not ever do such a PayPal transaction (typically for a $400 Omega watch). In the email there is a link to dispute the transaction that if clicked will take you to another site (not PayPal). I am a pretty intelligent internet user and by the link can tell that it is not PayPal. However, for users that do click the link I would suspect that it would be similar to the PayPal login screen and would prompt the user for their logon information which the site would then capture.

More recently I have started to receive ebay spoof email from a potential buyer regarding something I am selling (typically a 50" plasma TV). I know that I am not selling anything on ebay. Similiar to the PayPal spoof email, there is a link to respond to the question which is not a link to the ebay website. Again, if the link was clicked I would suspect that it would be similar to the ebay login screen and would prompt the user for their logon information which the site would then capture.

Does anyone else receive these same type of emails? I am sure that there are several unfortunate soles that fall into the hands of these spoof emails. In this internet world, will this madness ever stop?

2. joelmunroe

joelmunroe Camp Fodder

i too am hit with these fairly heavy, id say right around as often as yourself. i always have a lot of ebay/paypal messages for things i buy or sell and it gets pretty lame removing all the other garbage.

3. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

I've gotten three or four of the second type you mention -- where I am purportedly the seller of an item. I always forward them to eBay so they are aware and hopefully can trace the impersonator, or block him/her from further mayhem.

4. These phishing scams are pretty widespread, mainly with banks and other financial sources like paypal. There's not much to do about it other than be aware that you can't ever really trust a link in an email message.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar