Early reports on VY Pro Day

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Vigsted, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Vick is not a top QB. He is a good runner he isnt a passer.

As for McNair we will see what he can do when he should be a more primary pocket passer this season - he now has a year under Chow, the rookie wide recievers, we should have a better O-Line, a healthy running game.

He and McNabb and Culpepper will be interesting to see when they stop running and become more primary pocket passer. (Vick will be crap).

What kind of passing stats did Cunningham put up beyond the age of 30?

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gunny...

I never said vick was a top QB but for some reason he keeps making the pro bowl. He is a running QB who is perceived by some as a top QB. He obviously isn't.

Cunningham 30 and on had the same passing rating that he had for his career. Around 82 but in 6 of his last 8 seasons he didn't even play 10 games. Injuries, he was a backup for a while. Certainly his last 2 years he was just a backup.

In cunningham's 6th season, 1990, he was a good a QB can be. He rushed for an nfl record 942 yards(For a QB) and had 30 Tds and just 13 ints passing. His passing rating was 92. A sign of what vince young could be.

3. arodek55

arodek55 Guest

I would ask you if you thought Cutler was comparable to Young as far as mobility is concerned because you wanted to know why Young didn't "smoke Cutler on the same field with the same watch" if he was "so superior." I think it's pretty obvious that he's superior as a runner, so he didn't have to "smoke Cutler" at the combine to prove it. In fact, it's downright "moronic" even to suggest it.

If you compare Vick's rushing stats at Virginia Tech to Young's at Texas I think it's pretty obvious that Young is the superior runner at this stage of his career (if you want to go by stats). Sure Vick runs for 50 yards per game, but that's in the NFL. Young is not in the NFL yet, so how can you say that Young isn't as good a runner because Vick averages more yards in the NFL? THAT'S "moronic."

Given the fact that football is played against this thing called a "defense" and VY's career completion percentage versus this so-called "defense" is better than Jay Cutler's and given the fact that people who play the game will tell you that it's more difficult to throw against a "defense" why should Vince have to prove he's a more accurate passer than Jay?

I also find it rather interesting that you can use Cutler's pro-day as a positive point and Vince's as a negative/neutral point even though neither had to go against a "defense" (whatever that is). Cutler can play catch in the wind, but Vince can only play catch in a dome. You're right, it "wasn't even close"

4. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

One thing I would have to add is that Vince is coming to the NFL after 4 years in college while Michael only played 2 so it's not exactly fair to compare their rushing stats. Also consider that Virginia Tech ran plenty of option while he was there although Texas doesn't run it very much.

And to anyone that wants to hate on Michael Vick... consider how bad Atlanta was before he got there (minus one fluke season). His career winning percentage is probably amongst the tops of all time. Sure, he's been injured a few times, but there are few qb's that you couldn't say the same for. My point is this: Atlanta has below average talent on their roster, yet they have been an above average-very good team since Michael has been there.

The one thing I would say negatively about Michael is that I don't think he puts int he effort to be all he can be. He has probably the best legs and the best arm in the league. He should be ripping up every conceivable record. I would still take him over most any other qb.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

arodek...

1. The fact that young is more mobile than jay cutler(You obviously have a thing for cutler) doesn't mean he should be naive enough to think someone wouldn't want him to run a 40 yard dash. Every other propect runs the 40(vick did) so what makes vince so special. I'm not knocking the result he ran faster than mcnabb and mcnair i just think it was naive or arrogant to not be prepared to run.

2. Suggesting that young is a better runner than vick because of college stats is moronic! Vick has been in the nfl for 5 years! He has already established himself as one of if not the best runner at that position. If i found out that chris brown had more rushing yards at colorado than walter payton did at jackson state should i have concluded that brown would be the better runner circa 2003? No to do so would be stupid! You have every right to believe that young is a better runner than vick but don't act like it is an obvious fact. Young is a great runner.

3. Based on all the quotes i read about cutler's pro day and young's pro day cutler threw better. You think those guys are dumb? Since cutler threw in slightly less than perfect conditions it makes it more impressive. What about that don't you understand? And what the hell does that have to do with "defense"? Still young did alright and apparently may have done better at the titan workout.

You may find this hard to believe but i'm not a member of the let's draft cutler club. I would rather have young. I would rather have mario williams than anyone.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The comment about smoking Cutler would also mean throwing the football. I agree it is nice to have good stats against a "defense" but if in the workout it is obvious one QB has a stronger and more accurate arm that goes a long way in seeing how it can translate to the NFL. Remember that there have been alot of great stat QBs in college, some winning championships that were not NFL quality QBs. Also, in college the playing field is not an even one. A guy like Leinart had 6 or 7 offensive players who will be playing in the NFL to work with, 3 may go in the top half of the 1st round of the draft. The OL at Vanderbilt, as well as the WRs and RBs would have a hard time making the teams at Texas and USC.
    On the mobility issue nobody would compare Cutler to Young as far as raw running skills. Cutler however may have good enough escapability in avoiding the rush (he sure had alot of experience trying to do that at Vandy against the toughest defenses in the nation) while still being able to make the throws. Anyone with any sense can see if a guy like Cutler had the OL Leinart has (3 of them will go the first day of the draft this year) his passing stats would be much better. Add in being able to toss a 5 yarder to a guy like BUsh for 80 yards and you get the point.
    What is moronic to me is how posters have to put down another player to make their points. If VY is the man he will be drafted at #3. That doesn't make Cutler or Leinart any less of players. IMO it could still be a toss up on who the Titans like the most. They all have good and bad points to consider.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Soxcat...

Come up with a video montage of awesome cutler plays to counter this barrage of vince highlights. You have to admit vince is something else!

8. Either that or a montage of Akili Smith highlights from college...

9. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

.....haven't seen many of those.....I just don't get why everyone is so high on this dude. Average...at best!

10. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar