Early reports on VY Pro Day

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Vigsted, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewker

Ewker Starter

were you there? Guess not or you would have raved about his workout. yada,yada, yada

2. arodek55

arodek55 Guest

I'm going to assume you were talking to me....

From what I've read, everyone but TWO (2) scouts/team personnel was impressed with his workout. From what I've seen on NFL.com and ESPN, it looks like he throws the ball exactly the same as I've always seen him throw, only it wasn't from the shotgun. So, being as objective as possible, he completed all but 5 passes (2 drops, 3 overthrows) out of 50+ throws and all but two scouts were impressed with him. He even caught a touchdown pass. Then he went out and ran the same forty time as Chad Johnson (nearly a tenth of a second faster than Donovan Mcnabb coming out and 2 tenths faster than Daunte Culpepper). Sounds like it was pretty successful to me...

Were you there? Guess not or you would be qualified to make the statements you did (rolltide saying his workout was only adeqaute). yada yada yada

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Tssssss!

S'okay. Some people just don't want Young. Welcome to the board, arodek55.

4. bromike

bromike Guest

It doesn't matter if the Titans draft Young or not he is going to be a star in this league and he is one of those types that will find himself back in a championship game you write that down. His poise against ohio state and the pass to beat them. He had no problem trusting his passing ability and he took what the defense gave him against USC and won the game. He has shown me he has the potential to be one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

If we pass on Young it'll be in part because they don't think he fits the offense. I hope Reese pulls a 95 in this regard (McNair over Collins) because I would rather change the offense enough (why is this so hard with the mismatches Chow's O supposedly creates?) to suit a QB like Young, who could make it explosively better, like they should have done to suit McNair's talents early on.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

arodeck...

I was specifically referring to the workouts that have occured since the rose bowl. This unusual notion that vince has that he need not run and why he would avoid the most difficult passes on his pro day. If he is so superior to jay cutler then why didn't he smoke him in the combine on the same field with the same watch?

It wasn't his actual time that i was crioticising it is the fact he wasn't expecting to run. Yes his time is better than mcnair or mcnabb but not as good as vick. On mcnair's own website it says he ran a 4.62.

I have no problem with anyone advocating young's case here. I sure have not been a draft cutler advocate. I'm just not overly impressed with his workout. He was 90% accurate in perfect conditions in his own enviroment with his own receivers. No obstacles, no coverage and no pass rush. His pro day workout was basically the same as what omar jacobs did.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Bigtitan...

Where did you get this idea that williams has questionable instincs? In his last 17 games he had 19 sacks and 25 tackles for loss. He must be doing something right.

The bottom line is that this guy is so physically awesome people have to assume that something must be wrong. He is emerging as an absolute stud and remember he is only 21yrs years old as of jan 31st.

He is the best DE prospect since reggie white and the best player in this draft. His supposedly bad motor and poor instincs were good enough to be all acc as a soth and first team all american on many sites as a junior.

8. arodek55

arodek55 Guest

I have a few questions:

1.) Why would Vince need to run a forty? WE ALL KNOW HE CAN RUN!!!
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6862845755654756674&q=vince+young

2.)Do you really think that Jay Cutler even comes close to Vince Young in the mobility department? Honestly?

3.) What difficult passes did Vince not attempt?

4.) Were you impressed with Cutler's workout? Why? b/c it was windy? That was the only difference.

5.) Do you think Vick is a better runner than Young?

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Arodek..

A lot of questions there. Some of them downright moronic. Why would you ask me if cutler was more mobile than young? Who the hell would say that?

As to whether vick is a better runner than young? How could we say anyone is a better runner than vick he averages 50 yards rushing per start! Nobody has ever came close to that in the nfl. Steve mcnair only averaged about 28 yards when he was still a runner. If you want to say young is comparable fine but even vick can't win with his legs alone.

Given the fact that football is played out doors and given the fact that people who have played the game will tell you it is more difficult to throw with a wind why would you ask that question? One scout said that young "wasn't even close" regarding his workout vs cutler.

I wasn't at these workouts so i can only go by what others say about them.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Running QBs...

I love running QBs because they bring excitement to the game and they can be very effective. A good passer who is also a great runner can take a team anywhere. But there are problems that we can't ignore. The durability factor and longevity. Not longevity just in terms of how long a guy can play but how long can he play effectively.

Durability-The most durable QBs are the ones who don't run much. Favre, manning, brady, bledsoe who have started 97-98% of their potential games on average. You can't say the same about mcnair vick, culpepper and mcnabb who collectively have only started about 82-83% of their games. That says nothing about partial games missed, practices missed and games played at less than 100%.

Longevity-Nobody doubts that manning and brady will be top QBs beyond age 30. We can't say as much for mcnabb or vick. We know without a doubt that mcnair at age 32 in 2005 was not as good as he was at 29. What happens when a running QB can't run that good any longer and has to become a pocket passer?

I'll give you an example of a guy many have compared young to. Randall cunningham. Cunningham became a starter in his second season. In seasons 2-6 he averaged 650 yards rushing a year! He was an elite QB making 3 pro bowls in those 5 seasons. Then he missed year 7 with an injury. In year 8 at the age of 29 he rushed for 549 yards and that was it. Never again would he be a great runner. He would make the pro bowl once more in that comback year in 98 with moss and the vikings but that was it beyong the age of 30.

Something to consider when drafting the next cunningham. Cunningham did have 7-8 good years and was a near hall of fame QB and you would gladly take that from any draft pick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar