Earl Thomas with our #1 pick!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

So they produce mediocre DBs? Pretty safe to say?... Yep. Pretty much what I said. (for the record, the only good one on that list was Huff... a guy I was high on, and he plays safety- not corner.)

Why is he too slow?

Again-

HE CAN BARELY CRACK A 4.5 forty.

He looks slow on film.

He plays safety in college. Find me 5 college safeties that have made good CBs in the NFL in the past 5 years... help me out.

If at your very best you run a 4.45... you're a safety.

And why did he produce better numbers than Berry's best year? Dunno. Why did Morgan Burnett?

Is Morgan Burnett fast enough to be a CB too now? lol

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Using that logic there are no CBs in this draft this year. The best combine 40 was 4.45 for CBs. I guess about half the starting CBs in the NFL will have to move to S as well.

IMO Thomas would be fine at CB especially in our scheme.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'd rather take Kyle Wilson than Earl Thomas.

They're nearly twins.
    Kyle Wilson 5'10'' 192 - 4.43 40* - 25 Bench
    Earl Thomas 5'10'' 197 - 4.44 40 - 21 Bench
    * = Pro Day Time

Personally, I would take Kyle Wilson. He's played CB all through college, not safety. He could be a returner if needed.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I can't name many in the last five years, but two great corners in our division are safety converted corners, and that's Rashean Mathis and Cortland Finnegan. It does happen.

5. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Good point.

6. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

And that seals the deal. I like Thomas a lot too, but you're right, they're practically twins.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

It really comes down to if a team thinks Thomas can play CB as well or better than Wilson because the thing you get with Thomas is a guy who can fill in at S if needed; more versatility. It also comes down to the scheme the team likes to play. Thomas might be a better fit in a cover 2 where Wilson is a better fit in a man cover situation. I don't know.

As for the Titans I'm just not sure they see the need at CB as much as fans do. Depends on how they really feel about McCourty and Mouton. Fans put too much stock in what they saw early in the season when the entire defense sucked big time. The whole defense was dis-jointed and McCourty and Mouton were just babes out there. Hopefully we see a distinct upgrade entering their 2nd year and we did invest a 3rd rounder in Mouton.

The number one priority is to improve the pass rush.

8. BigDaddyTitan

BigDaddyTitan Camp Fodder

If it were between the two (Wilson & Thomas) I would go with Wilson. If the numbers are for the most part the same, I'd rather have the guy who is natural to the position. Also Wilson is a press man corner. I'd really like to see us going back to man cover instead of so much zone, but I know that also depends on getting pressure on the QB.

Wilson in the 1st, then a DE like Jason Worilds in the 3rd.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Lol...

NFL S's typically run in the 4.6 range (avg). Fast NFL S's usually run a 4.5. There are some that run 4.4 or even 4.3. He's very fast for an NFL S...not mediocre.

He doesn't. He looks like he plays to his speed. There are youtube vids that show him run stride for stride down the sideline with WR's...that not being slow on film.

Has nothing to do with Thomas.

That's funny, probably 80% of NFL cb's run that or worse and yet most of them are solid or better players in the NFL. Again, you are making statements that facts counter quite easily.

Point is, 'mediocre and slow' S's don't produce awesome stats. As already mentioned, a lot of Thomas' success was due to his skills. Of course he had a nice pass rush...but Kindle didn't light it up this year while Burnett had Derrick Morgan at DE. And by the way, Morgan isn't a mediocre S either!

Production doesn't equal a position change. Burnett isn't really fast enough to play CB because he runs a 4.55...which is kind of slow for an NFL CB but faster than avg for a S. So why would you move him to CB where he'd probably be below avg but at S he could excel?

Gut

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Wilson is not a press cb in the sense that his college scheme was 90% press. They had a balnced scheme and probably ended up playing more zone than man and they didn't play a ton of press man. At the Senior Bowl practices, we saw he can do it all...press man, off man, zone short, zone deep and play very well. Thomas is less proven in man coverage because while he played it very well in college, he played the slot and almost always had S help over top. There were many times Wilson had no one over the top.

But if you're looking to play him in a zone scheme and might want him to play S, Thomas makes a lot of sense. He has all the S techniques down pat and just needs to refine his tackling. If you want a pure CB, you take Wilson because he pretty much has all the techniques for that down.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar