DT Lamarr Houston-Texas

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I don't want the Titans to take Cody lol. He's not a DT he's a NT. Cody would be a horrible player on the Titans. Cody needs to be on a 3-4 defense only.

Even if Jason Jones plays DE, we still have Haye and Brown (starters) then Vickerson and Marks (backups). A 1st round DT would not be needed, maybe if Marks switched to DE as well. I wouldn't mind a 3rd round DT if Jones does switch to DE though.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Cody is a poster child of what the Titans don't want from their DT. They like the smaller explosive penetrating DTs. If Cody doesn't figure out how to get himself in better shape he won't even make it in the NFL as a NT. NFL OCs will handle the guy without much trouble and his mobility is so limited he ends up being near worthless.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What do you think pf those 4 guys? Brown is tendered for one year. Vickerson a journeyman is tendered one year. Haye did little for us last year and frankly if he doesn't have a good camp i would cut his arse. Marks still has a lot to prove.

Compare that Dt rotation to the 2008 rotation with AH-Brown-Jones.

The idea is to keep get better upfront.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Actually larger explosive guys would be the ideal just that there are not many of them. Like AH.

Terrence Cody ran a 5.7 40. That is slowwwwwww. Compare that to Vince Wilfork who ran a 5.08 on his pro day or Casey Hampton who ran a 5.14. Those 2 guys probably could play in any system but not a guy like Cody.

Dan Williams is 330 lbs and ran a 5.19. He could be that guy inside who forces double teams and stops the run inside for us but i doubt if he will be there at 16.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Dan Williams is a perfect example of a NT. Big, strong and stout but can still move enough to get off blocks and make plays. I agree he could also play in our system but he wouldn't be ideal. I also agree he will be gone by our pick. He is just too valuable to a 3-4 team and there really are not many true NTs in this draft of value.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Based on today's roster, not knowing who we'll have this time next week I'd make this our D-Line:
    RDE-Hayes, RDT-Brown, LDT-Jones, LDE-Ford

If we got Haynesworth back it changes everything:
    RDE-Ford, RDT-Haynesworth, LDT-Brown, LDE-Jones

This Lamarr Houston guy, he could easily knock out Haye, Vickerson, and Marks as the 3rd DT to rotate in.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

LHouston is bigger and more explosive than Haye.....he's faster and more explosive while giving up a few inches to Vickerson....he's faster, bigger and more explosive than Marks. So, I would love to get him if we could trade down from the 1st and pickup a 2nd, not to mention we may be able to parlay that pick into Fat Al.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

No way any DT we draft will knock Mark's of the roster. Haye or Vickerson would be the first to go (Haye is my guess) and my guess is Mark's comes on this year and does more to prove he is worth a 2nd round pick.

IMO the perception of Marks is typical on this board. Just because a guy doesn't make all pro his rookie year fans assume the guy sucks. The facts are that Marks is extremely athletic for a guy his size and ran a 5.0 flat 40. After his sophomore year he was one of the highest ranked DTs. As everyone knows auburn had a meltdown in 2008 and ended up firing their coach in mid season. Marks also sustained two high ankle sprains and wasn't near the force he was the year before.

Arbitrarily saying Houston is bigger, stronger, more explosive and eats QBs for dinner is ridiculous. Marks is every bit the prospect Houston is and will return for his second year after an off season program where he should be stronger. The Titans didn't use a 2nd round pick on this guy unless they really thought he could be a very solid player for them. He is a very nice fit for the Titans scheme and played some DE in college as well as DT. He also started to show some real ability late in the year.

Here is a write up on him:

10. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I wasn't making comparisons arbitrarily:

Lamarr Houston: 6'3 308lbs, 4.84 40yd dash, 33 1/2 Vert
    Sen'Derrick Marks: 6'1 295lbs 5.01 40yd dash 32 vert

I agree that he wouldn't be pushed out, but wouldn't a combo of Houston/Marks be a nice youth group at DT? Haye would be the first to go, then as someone mentioned earlier, we may be able to move JJones outside too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar