Drew Brees Op-Ed in the Washington Post

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by World Peace, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arcane

Arcane One Day...

That is an enlightening article, well worth the read.

My stance on the subject is that owners make enough money the way the system is set up now, just ask Jerry Jones about his $1.25 Billion stadium.

Free agency is fine as well. If you don't like players making all this money then don't pay it to them. No one is forcing the owners hands. The Titans know all too well about this with the Albert Haynesworth contract.

Anyway, as things stand right now, owners are getting rich and the players are doing ok too. Why change it? Are the owners really that greedy? How many Millions do you need??

2. CKTitan

CKTitan Special Teams Standout

In this day in age it's all about making a buck and people will resort to unethical tactics to fatten their wallets.

The sad thing about it is if the NFL wins this case, Brees stated it everything that was fought for by the players association would be taken away and people would be powerless to stop it. We're not just talking about the end of free agency, but a scenario of watching a game on tv would be the equivalent of buying it on pay-per-view. Ticket prices would sky rocket to the point home games can never sell out and consequentially blacked-out on local tv alienating your local fan-base in the process. Merchandise is already too-expensive to begin with I spent over $140 for a VY jersey and a Titans cap and I didn't buy it at Opry Mills or at the Cool Springs Galleria this was in Crossville. I hope the NFLPA and other parties involved win this case because if not the landscape of the NFL and pro sports in general will change and not for the good.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Good read.

Though Brees points to the ownership as greedy, he profits from those inflated Reebok prices too. He's all for letting Mom & Pop companies make caps until he has to take a pay hit. All the NFL will do is make the licensing costs so high, only the top companies will be able to afford to produce NFL gear.

His fears of the ownership restricting free agency is also based on his desire for players to make more money. Sure, he loves New Orleans but he wouldn't have gone there if the Dolphins would have outbid them.

It has been, and always will be, about the money.

If 2010 is uncapped, I hope it opens some eyes. Both sides better wake up and realize what they have before they take the league down the road of MLB.

4. el_darax

el_darax Camp Fodder

Wise words.

In fact the system of MLB is one of the reasons I dislike the sport now.

The main reason is that I find it boring to watch unless your at the stadium :)

I really hope we don't end up like the MLB...........sigh...Jerry would turn the Cowgals into the new yankees. He'd do it in 1 second I think. Only difference is that they'd still suck.

5. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

As long as we as fans continue to pay the ticket prices, buy $32 hats, $145 jerseys, and buy $100 worth of beer and food each week, it doesn't really matter what we think.

If you want prices to come down, quit going, quit wearing, and quit drinking. Otherwise, you are telling the owners with your pocket that what they are selling is a good deal so they will adjust their prices accordingly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar