Drew Bennett

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mcmojo, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Bennett IMO will get a similar contract as Givens. It just will not be from us.
    Hopefully we aren't watching Givens struggle to get back from his knee injury while Bennett is lighting it up in Denver or some place but IMO that is what we will see. Signing Givens already keeps us from keeing Bennett.

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

DJB, it was a risk to give him that money, and it's one that hasn't paid off at this point, but I don't think it was that bad of a call. Givens was in a system where they spread the ball around, and he'd been consistent for three years in a row. The ONLY reason Drew's numbers would be considered better is the one year he had so many catches because Volek was playing and Mason was injured. In two years following, Drew hasn't shown that type of production, he's shown the type that Givens got in NE. I'm fine with giving him a roughly equivalent contract, values are going up, Givens' contract isn't that huge considering the jump last year. I don't think he should get a bigger one though.

3. DJB

DJB Starter

I agree with this. I liked the Givens signing alot but I thought it was quite a chunk of money for someone with his numbers. but that what the market called for to sign him. I wonder what type of offers DB will get. Probably more than he's actually worth and more than the Titans should give for him. I hope not. I don't think we currently have a better option on the roster than Bennett. Plus how does Bennett see his future here? If Givens makes a full recovery will the depth next season be #1)Givens #2)Jones #3)Bennett? Unless the team promises him at least #2 hes probably gone.

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

He could go either way. However, he's been here for quite some time, and has done well. He's well liked and pretty established here. I'd hope he'd want to stay here and would be willing to take slightly less money and the risk of fighting Jones or Givens for position. I'd hate to not see him at the Corner Pub in Green Hills anymore.

5. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Yes I did prove it. Glad you can read. Now read what most others on this thread are saying about keeping Drew. You want to get rid of a valuable receiver that has led this team in receptions the last 4 years? What a brilliant move. Let's bring in some more "grass is greener" receivers that will take two years to learn the system here. Your insight is incredible....I don't know why everyone else doesn't feel the same. We are not worthy of your greatness......:rolleyes:

6. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

While you are checking reading skills, you may want to re-read what you wrote champ.

If we are going to play the game of the smart-arse, then I'll choose ANY OTHER RECEIVER - Jonathon Orr. Please now prove how Drew didn't drop more balls than him.

You also obviously didn't read the rest of my post after I dared question your imaginary "facts". In an era without a salary cap I have no problem bringng Bennett back. I don't see his position as one we need to "upgrade". What I said is that the money is better spent elsewhere given our offensive scheme.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Either way IMO the Titans are in a bad situation because we paid decent money to a guy who hasn't done anything and might take all next year to recover from his injury. We will probally lose our best WR because they don't want to give Bennett a long term deal with Givens on the books thus we basically will be going with our 3rd and 4th best WRs as our starters or a rookie. Thankfully Jones has proven he can be a servicable #2 but we still will be less skilled at WR, even if we draft a WR in the first round, at the start of next year. We have to hope any rookie we draft can make the transition to the NFL faster than normal and that Givens can recover quickly from his injury.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i dont remember the exact numbers, but bennett got about 650 of those yards against the last 5 pass defenses in the league.

9. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

If Bennett could just prove he can stay consistant. I wouldn't ave any doubt about resigning him.

10. Ewker

Ewker Starter

so they don't count as yards?:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar