Drew Bennett

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mcmojo, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Given's contract..

Reportedly was 5 years for $24m. $6m of that was signing bonus and givens only made 800k in salary this year. If that number is true that means that givens is slated to make a salary of $4m a year for the next 4 years but his career could be over.

Let's offer bennett that same number and get him signed..

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

It's true, Drew gets some flack on this site. More than a lot of other people on the team, and plenty who deserve more. However, most of it seems to come from two categories: 1) people who think he's not a true #1, and 2) people who are reacting to a particular game and making what I'll refer to as short term comments. I generally don't take those things too seriously, they come up about most people on the team. I think the fact that no one has really popped up on this thread to say Drew sucks supports the idea that most people agree with the very limited original statement that you made. I read your post very carefully, and said that most people, including myself, AGREE with you, precisely because you made such a ridiculously tailored statement. That was the main point of my post. The stats that I threw on there were merely to say that he's certainly not even a GREAT 2ND WR. He's a decent one. The number on there were all 2nd best WR on their teams. If you're saying he's a GREAT 2nd WR, then I guess that's where the argument is. On to that...

True, Drew has been in the league since 2001. However, he's played in at least 12 games EVERY year. But hey, I'll cut out his rookie year. But by 2002, he had the second most Receiving yards on the team. More than J-Mac, more than Dyson. How was he not a starter then? I say he's been a solid starter on this team for five years. He hasn't had significant production for a #2. Sure, if we had a passing style offense and a traditional QB, we'd have a lot more passing yards. Wouldn't people then say that the player was helped by the system?

Drew sure better be a better WR in 2007. We need more production from the passing game. If he has another 1000 yard season, you may be right. Maybe he was just hiding after all.

At this point, I'm looking at his history, and he hasn't produced like a GREAT #2 WR. If you want to throw out last year and 2004, fine, throw out both. His best year as a starter then is 738 yards, and over his three years as a starter (after throwing out his rookie year), he's averaging a little over 500 yards per year. Clearly, that's greatness.

As I said in the original post, I like Drew. I think he's a decent WR, and he should be re-signed and stay with the team. But let's not give him more credit than he's due. Looking at his history, he sure hasn't shown himself to be a GREAT #2.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Bennett is good enough to be a consistent 1000+, 70 catch WR in the NFL.
    Heck, over the last three years Bennett has over 2700 yards and has averaged slightly over 60 catches despite missing time in 2005 with injury and playing in a poor passing offense this year. His average yards per catch is very respectable (16 last year and almost 15 for his career).

In a passing offense that puts up more than 3500 yards a season Bennett could really put up some nice numbers (Drew Brees threw for over 4400 yards this year). Only Vick's Atlanta team threw for fewer yards this year than the Titans (2748). The Bears, around the middle of the pack had over 3400 yards this year.

I don't blame Bennett for wanting Givens type numbers because he is every bit as good and IMO better. Givens actually had a worse year in 2005 than he did in 2004, has a lower average per catch than Bennett and has never come close to breaking 1000 yards in a season and his highest catch total for a season was 59.

Also, when you have a good passing QB IMO having great WRs is less important. A guy like Bennett is more than adequate if you have a guy who can throw the ball accurately (like Tom Brady). I would argue that Bennett is better than any single WR on the Pats roster right now.

4. mcmojo

mcmojo Starter

Once again you are either not reading my post, or you are unable to read with any accuracy. I never stated that Drew is a great number two. I said he can be. There is a huge difference in those two statements. Example: GoTitans3801 is illiterate. GoTitans3801 can be illiterate at times. :))

My whole point in the original post was to show what kind of receiver Drew could be with a traditional QB. Now, Young will never be traditional, so those adjusted stats of 85/1253/5 would have to be adjusted again to factor in what he can do. But, I do think that 70+ receptions, 1000+ yards is certainly achievable. Those are very good/great numbers for a number two WR in our offensive system. That's all I'm saying. Thanks for the discussion. Carry on.

5. DJB

DJB Starter

Exactly

6. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

This is all fine and dandy, but why does he CONSISTENTLY avoid contact after making catches? As I stated in an earlier post, at his size he should be looking to try and punish smaller DB's instead of running out of bounds when time isn't an issue. He's a wuss for whatever reason. Must be the 'QB' in him. Ha

7. DJB

DJB Starter

To me it sounds like unless Bennett is in the top 5 for recieving yards and catches, never drops a pass, and runs over DBs after every catch he will never be considered good for the Titans

8. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

I don't even want him as number three....

There is absolutely no question that he has the ability to be a number two and easily a number three reciever but I don't want him. Is there anyone on here who really wants VY looking for Bennet when the game is on the line after all the easy passes he's dropped over the years. Not me. So, you have to ask yourself.... Do I want a reciever in my top three who can't catch a pass in a pressure situation (let alone across the middle)??? I don't.

9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Could of, would of, should of. Didn't.

Keep him, give him reasonable money, don't expect different results. That's the logic that keeps Woolfolk a starter.

10. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

Running over a DB after every catch? Well..even just once would be nice, but I can't recall him ever catching a ball with an open field and running towards the middle of the field to gain a few extra yards instead of running out of bounds RIGHT before contact with a defensive player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar