Dream Team Draft: Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by citizenthom, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

I'll tell you who else was tempting: Josh Freeman. Kid's really coming on strong now. He's highly efficient and won ten games with young weapons and a rather pedestrian O-line.

2. EdRomeo

EdRomeo Football Fan

If this was about building an actual team for long term success Josh would be at the top the young QB list.
    But, for a one year run at the superbowl playoff experience is a premium.

But, Freeman did stepped up big time from last year and had a great season in the process he helped turned the Bucs franchise around.

But, I don't think Freeman is as popular or well known as the other QBs.

3. EdRomeo

EdRomeo Football Fan

Hey, I have a very busy next 2 weeks with a lot of travel.
    I will try to make my picks via phone though.

4. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

Well, we're only two rounds away from being done with the players' draft, and then on to the coaches' draft. So you've really only got five picks to make.

Safe travels!

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

I don't mean to disparage your pick, just give you a dose of reality.

Eli doesn't have a turnover perception, it is a reality.

In 2010, Eli threw 25 picks in 539 attempts which means 4.6% of the time he was picked off. Brees threw 22 picks in 658 attempts (which is many games worth more throws for most QBs) meaning he was picked off about 3.3% of the time. 3% is a lot. 4% is WAY too high. But it gets worse for Eli...

On the surface, 25 picks vs 22 picks doesn't sound like a lot. But here's what you REALLY need to know.

Brees threw 33 TD's vs 24 turnovers (22 INT's and 2 lost fumbles).
    Manning threw 31 TD's vs 30 turnovers (25 picks and 5 lost fumbles).

To be fair, let's look at the last 2 seasons...

Brees threw 67 TD's vs 41 turnovers. That's 26 more TD's than turnovers in 2 years.
    Eli threw 58 TD's vs 52 turnovers. That's 6 more TD's than turnovers in 2 years.

And for a more broad perspective, Eli has never thrown fewer than 10 picks in any season that's he's played all 16 games. He has thrown 17 or more picks in 4 of his 6 full seasons and hit 20 or more twice - both years coming AFTER he's played 2 full seasons. He's only had ONE season out of his 6 full seasons in which he's had a 2-1 TD to INT ratio.

Eli has been a turnover machine the last 2 years, but, as shown above, his combo of relatively high INT's combined with his lost fumbles has been a problem throughout his career. But even if you take his lost fumbles out of the equation (since it's NOT factored into QB rating), he only has ONE seasons with a QB rating in the 90's. 2 out of his last 3 years he's been in the mid-80's which, as it did this year, ranks him as a middle of the pack QB.

In contrast, Josh Freeman, in his FIRST full year starting has 25 TD's (Eli has matched or bettered this in only his last 2 seasons) vs only 6 int's (Eli has never had less than 10 in a full season). Freeman's ratio of 25 TD's to 6 picks is twice as good as Eli's best ratio. Even if you factor in Freeman's total turnovers (9) he still has almost a 3 to 1 ratio. Eli has never had a 2-1 ratio when factoring in total turnovers. Freeman's 95.9 in his first full season is higher than any rating Eli has ever had...and that doesn't include the total turnover negatives for Eli.

Sorry, I live in NY and am not a big Eli fan (except for when they were playing the Pats in the Superbowl:)!

On the other hand, Eli does have a ring and Freeman doesn't.

Gut

6. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

What Gut said. The flip side is 1.) he wins a lot of games, 2.) he throws a lot of TDs, and 3.) he has a ring against the toughest team we've seen this decade. He's one of those QBs where you suffer the bad games because he has more good games in him.

7. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

For the sake of full disclosure: I originally picked someone else for EdRomeo at the 25:7 spot but changed it when I re-read his PM. I would never do that for myself, but because I am picking for him I wanted to make sure the pick truly conformed to his wishes.

8. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

Well, if we do this again, we're certainly not going to have any slot labeled "wild card." I thought the vision for that slot had been made clear but apparently I didn't do a good job of it.

9. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

Well, we're ending this thing with several teams with delinquent picks. However we handle them, we should handle them equally. I propose the following:

-24 hours after TBaker makes his last pick, the main draft will be CLOSED. At any time in that 24 hours people with delinquent picks can make them up, but after that it goes to the following process.

-After the main draft closes, we have a "supplemental draft" where anyone can pick for whomever is on the clock, except that no one can pick twice in a row. That way it goes fastest but isn't dominated by one person.

-The supplemental draft will start with the earliest missed pick and work its way down round-by-round. So the first nine picks will be Finnebosch's missed picks, and after that we start to add in everyone else.

-The actual team owners will be able to "release" anyone picked for them in the supplemental draft after it happens and pick up any "free agents" they wish for the same spot.

-We will run the supplemental draft CONCURRENT TO the Coaches' Draft.

The other option I've thought of, if you guys don't want to put in that much work, is for me just to name a set of players for each delinquent team. Anyone can then object to a particular player if they think I'm screwing someone over and we'll put that player to a majority vote. I have a "Big Board" laid out and could get this done very quickly.

10. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

On the Coaches' Draft: I propose that anyone who misses a pick in the Coaches' Draft has the pick made for them, and can then throw that coach away for a "free agent" after the draft if they so choose. I think we're all tired of waiting around on people at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar