Drafting Technique...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

I think one of the reason our none of our young WRs are producing like we'd like is taht b/c there are just too many of them (we've already talked bout chemistry issues w/ this betwen qb/reciever - but what bout the receivers?). I dont agree w/ the way we r drafting them. IMO u need to draft maybe several but not 7 or watev in 2 yrs like we hv done....

i agree that competition brings out the best in players..essential..but in our case there is are so many players it limits the time of each ones to practice w/ the QB...and it hurting us more than having so many.

In essence -in our case - competition/number seems to be limiting potential/production

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I just hope we can settle on three guys as our top WRs in TC and pre-season this year and stop the rotational stuff we did the first half of last year. Decide quickly on who the top guys are going to be and stick with them.

Right now I'd anoint Gage as one of that group. Probably R. Williams as well. Let those guys grow and mature with VY and see what they have.

3. thnom

thnom Camp Fodder

We currently have 7 on the roster:

R. Williams,
    B. Jones,
    P. Williams
    J. Gage,
    Chris Davis,
    Biren Ealy,
    Mike Williams

Looking at our current FO; Chris Davis and Paul Williams was drafted by it, Justin Gage was brought in (and re-signed). Ealy was an Undrafted FA. We currently don't see how Reinfeldt views undrafted guy. It seems some guys like to pride themselves on finding them.

Gage, Roydell, P. Williams stay.

I think Ealy and Davis stay with Brandon Jones and Mike Williams gone (or BMW moved to TE).

Roydell showed as much as Gage last year, P. Williams will stick. I can see Chris Davis sticking if he shows any amount of influence in the kick return game. I just can't see Brandon Jones sticking after releasing Givens.

I think we release two and draft one. 6 total WRs

4. KTOWN TITAN

KTOWN TITAN Orca Fighter

I wanna see Ealy stay. He showed flashes. Brandon Jones can go away.

5. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Ealy? Davis? as our number 3 reciever? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha jesus, we really ARE screwed!

and what exactly did Paul Williams do that was great as a Titan? I guess you guys have better memories than I do because I haven't seen anything good.

6. scottieboy97

scottieboy97 Guest

yeah but the fact is he was a 3rd round draft pick and they will give him time to develop before they decide if it was a wasted pick or not... hopefully not

7. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

I'm pretty sure a FA or WR we draft will be our #3 WR. Johnson should be signed as our #2 or possibly #1 battling it out with Gage and then the kid we draft will compete with Roydell for the #3 and #4 spots.

Leaving Davis and Williams and Ealy competing for the last 2 spots.

BJ and M-Willy are gone.......bohoo.

8. alzarius

alzarius Guest

HAHAAAA

No kidding!!! I mean WTH.

We should have ditched Mason after his first year too!!

hahahahaa

Newsflash: Sometimes it takes more than one year!

:)

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I wouldn't mind adding two WRs, even if it's two from the draft. What?!

I'm all for the big trade if it happens, though it seems down to hoping for Roy Williams or Chad Johnson at this point. I'd add Hackett over Johnson, but it seems the FO is hedging here. Maybe they like some draft prospects more than Hackett or Johnson? For that matter, maybe they like some guys on the roster we're down on after this year.

My thinking is this: as of this moment, only Roydell and Gage deserve to be here next year. That's it. I'm split, as are some of you, on Brandon Jones, but his potential and overall inexpensiveness mean he will be back for one more year, probably. Paul Williams, due to his high pick, will probably be back.

That leaves three guys (more if the FO KNOW that PWilliams or BJones suck beyond all hope and measure) who may not be around, or are opportunities for immediate upgrade.

As far as the draft, I'm for Quentin Groves or Chris Johnson in one. Barring that, I'll take a wide receiver. And there's enough good ones, and enough shallowness at other positions, that if I'm the Titans, I may go back to the wideout well once more. Heck, let me just list the possibilities:

Limas Sweed
    James Hardy
    Malcolm Kelly
    Desean Jackson
    Devin Thomas
    Eddie Royal
    Mario Manningham
    Jordy Nelson
    Earl Bennett
    Andre Caldwell
    William Franklin

not to mention

Dexter Jackson
    Jerome Simpson
    Paul Hubbard
    Adarius Bowman
    Lavelle Hawkins
    Danny Amendola
    Jabari Arthur
    Early Doucet

I'd at least draft a couple, bring 'em to camp, and see whose left standing when it's all over.

I will say, Chris Davis is in a tentative spot. If we get a better return and slot person, Davis is expendable. He would have to regain some pre-injury speed and add some muscle weight to be left around, I would think.

Adding Devin Thomas, Andre Caldwell, Desean Jackson, Eddie Royal, or William Franklin (or Chris Johnson) are not good news for Davis. And currently he's backup slot receiver anyway.

Also, given the depth in the draft and thinness of FA, I think the Titans are prepared to draft and let the gladiatiors battle it out in camp. This is one year I don't mind going with the youth if we don't land a #1.

10. BigSteve09

BigSteve09 Camp Fodder

i just don't feel like we have a dependable receiver

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar