Draft Hopes

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by theShoemaker, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rekirts

rekirts Starter

Those are fine with me. Not a Okung fan but whatever. Just don't see the need to spend $12mil/yr on one player in FA when the BPA is sitting there waiting for us. Save the money, use the $12mil/yr on Martin/Miller/Ivory + a defensive player... That money could get us Ivory and one of Harrison or Trevathan.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I'm trying to understand if your opinion is based on anything more than his age and size...?

Nelson has seen his best days pass? He just had his career best season. His best 2 seasons have been his last 2 years so he's at his peak right now. And considering he and Iloka play on the same D and Nelson has far superior stats in tackles, passes defensed and picks, not sure why you think Iloka's better.

Weddle had a decline this year but again, also had vastly superior stats to Iloka...even on a down year!

Is Iloka a better run defender than Nelson or Weddle?

How do you compare Gipson with Iolka?

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Wilkerson is looking for $16mil/yr. Travathan is gonna cost a lot I think due to his age, production, and being a prime cog in the best defense in the league. Not sure you could get Miller and Trevathan for $12mil combined.

Point is, we can get a great OT, RB or ILB in free agency OR the draft. Can you get a great CB? Not unless Josh Norman is free.

THAT is the point!!!

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. rekirts

rekirts Starter

I said NT Harrison, Wilkerson is about to get paid like you said.

I think Ivory + Trevathan will be somewhere around the 12 million range. Can't see Ivory getting more than 4.5 mill/yr or an ILB more then 7.5.

We don't need a great CB, theres a lot of options in round two. Mills and Fuller are two guys I like there. These are guys who can immediately play nickel and be groomed for McCourty's job. Paying Cox 5$ mil/yr to be our nickel CB is not an effective use of our resources.

5. PRAY IV M3RCY

PRAY IV M3RCY Pro Bowler

This is my draft hope..do everything we can through FA to allow us to go after the best playmakers in each round. I'd rather not see a pick for an OL till the 5th round.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

First off, I agree Ivory won't be super expensive, but he only has like 30 starts in 3 years. What's great about Ivory is also his downfall. He plays TO contact and is an abusive runner. Unfortunately, it also gets him banged up and injured. He's very good when healthy...but that's the problem.

On top of that, you are staring down perhaps one of the great RB classes next year. But you want to pay Ivory enough to NOT take one of those guys next season? Furthermore, which RB's on the roster are you getting rid of? Do you think any of them has a chance to be a starting RB with an OL that can actually block? Personally, I don't look at RB until I fix the OL.....which probably means next year. IF the OL is fixed as hoped, then I'll actually know what we have at RB currently on the roster.

As for Trevathan, I think he will be looking for $10mil/yr...or more. Luke Kuechly is the highest paid ILB at almost $12.5mil per year followed by Wagner at $10.75mil/yr. Timmons, who might just get cut, is at about $9.5mil and Trevathan has similar stats over 2 seasons (not just one) and is only 25yrs old.

I'm totally with you on NT Harrison and I think he will get $7mil/yr or there abouts. He's a MUST sign for us!

Considering I can get a premier LT in free agency and then get a lock down CB in the draft in round 1, why wouldn't I want that? That's a major boost to both the secondary and the OL. Taking Mills or Fuller doesn't mean an automatic upgrade to the secondary or perhaps not nearly as much. Taking Tunsil doesn't help us much in the run game and a CB in round 2 doesn't make as much of an impact either. Why not get better results this year? We are not short on cap space!

It's the same argument I'd make in signing Harrison at NT (since we don't have one) over drafting Butler at the top of round 2. Butler's worth the pick, but Harrison gives us a great run defending NT right now and will really help shore up our run D!!!

We need to get as many impact players in FA as we can...especially at positions of need!

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. rekirts

rekirts Starter

I'd like to get a real run game this season, ours are just so bad. I've always liked Ivory but yea he really bangs up those hamstrings every year. Part of the territory I guess.

Anyways good discussion, I think we both agree we need to get the OLine fixed and some impact players on D to form a defensive identity-- we just disagreeing on the specific players and means to acquire them.

Harrison would be a huge get though. Casey Harrison Jones is a scary Dline.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar