Draft Fred Davis then...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by JJM1181, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Why does this matter? Young is our franchise QB Collins won't even be here in 2 years. So let's just drop it.

2. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

I don't mean to be a jerk but everything you said is nothing but your opinion. We could just as easily say that if Big Al didn't get hurt we would have been 13-3 and beaten the Patriots in the playoffs to go to the Superbowl.

Trust me it sounds just as stupid.

I watched our receivers drop too many passes to think they are anything but the worst group in the NFL. They are the suck!!!

Does this mean we should take one in the 1st round? I don't know, I'm a guy who takes the best player available, but if we don't we damn sure better be taking one in the 2nd or we damn sure better have signed a good one in FA.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Austin,

opinion my butt i put up the 3 games in which collins had significant playing time. He played pretty well both in comparison to young and in comparison to his own standards.

The 3600 passing yards and whether we win the houston game with vince at QB are certainly opinions on my part but they are based on factual data.

GoT bases his opinions on what?

The issue as i see it is how much better or worse was young this year than a run of mill average at best, backup drop back passer with no mobility? Certainly not better..

4. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

The one thing missing from this though is that Young hides some of the deficiencies of our Oline because he makes it easier for them to pass block. When a guy like Collins is in the game the defense doesn't have to worry about his scrambling ability and can just go after him. Do you think he would have lasted more than 3 games as our starter?

I'm not myopic enough to think that Vince doesn't have a lot of work to do but the fact is this team is not very good especially on offense, cut it any way you want but Vince is still the best player on that side of the ball. When the Titans can boast a couple of All Pro linemen, receivers, and Runningback and still not win, then we should reexamine the QB but right now we are the slowest team in the NFL with a marginal oline that is on the decline. Our best running back is likely going to come into camp next year fat and out of shape. I would not find fault with going all offense in this years draft, we suck that much.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

JJM1181 made a comment he didn't think our WRs were all that bad.
    Tide pointed out that Collins (or Young if he can improve his passing) would be close to a 3600 yard per year QB. You slap an extra 800 or so yards in the mix because you have a better passing QB and guys like Gage and R. Williams become 1000 yard WRs (not to mention Scaife looks like a better TE). It isn't rocket science even though it seems difficult for people to understand. If Gage and Williams had 70 catches for around 1000 yards do we still think our WRs are crap? Keep in mind as well that the stats those guys put up this year were based on both of them getting less playing time early in the season when they gave up minutes to Moulds and Jones.

Another fantasy was made by Austin_Bill when he assumes Young makes our OL look better. Really? Young had the same number of sacks per number of pass attempts as Collins last year. Collins also zero ints where Young was flinging the ball into defenders hands when he had pressure on him.

Well what about all those dropped passes the crap WRs of the Titans had? Of the 32 NFL teams guess where the Titans ranked in dropped passes? 30th. Actually we were tied with SD for 31st and the only team with fewer dropped passes last year was the texans.
    http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?range=NFL&type=Receiving&rank=232

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Austin bill you must be joking. What data do you have to suggest that scrambling QBs are more durable than anyone else? The most durable QBs in the league are drop back passers like collins. Favre, brady, manning.

Collins has started 150 games in his career and suddenly he can't play a season? Where did you get that?

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Soxcat i'm starting a new thread with those stats. I'm tired of hearing this line of crap about our Wrs dropping hundreds of passes when this chart shows they dropped a pass a game as an entire team..

8. JJM1181

JJM1181 Camp Fodder

Here's my point...

I like Roydell Williams. I really like Chris Davis. I think Biren Ealy could be a decent/good 3 receiver. I also think that if Mike Williams could get his head right, he would be a somewhat productive receiver. Also, Paul Williams never saw the field, BUT after one year of practicing and learning the playbook, he may turn out to be okay. We need to add another WR to the mix, but my thinking is we need a stud TE. Scaife ain't that bad, but he's not a player other teams gameplan against and that's what we need. A TE that teams worry about.

I'd rather keep Troupe for another year, get him in Heimidinger's offense and see if he flourishes along side Scaife and draft a WR first round.

My other thought is....

When I saw Michael Griffin's name pop up at last year's draft, I thought what the heck are we doing? Then, 20 minutes later, I realized that's a good pick if it means we dump Lamont Thompson. Well, he's now a starting safety and he'll be a stud for years to come. I'm gonna trust Fisher and the GM to make the right decision.

One last thought...

I wish we wouldn't have drafted Chris Henry last year. With all the good RB's coming out this, I'd love to get Charles from Texas. Him and Lendale would be a dream combo. Oh well...

9. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

I've noticed your a real stat junkie, but this isn't about stats.

Our oline is very overrated and if given a chance a dline would make them look real bad, but because we have a QB that scares the hell out of every DC when he scrambles the Dline is taught to maintain good pass rushing lanes. This makes it very easy for our overrated oline to give Vince a little more time.

If Collins was in there those same dlines would just need to pin thier ears back and go after a QB that can't move at all. I could care less if drop back passers are more durable, Vince is 6'5 and weights about 240lbs and he still took some big hits that caused him to play a good portion of the year injured.

Do you think Collins is more durable than Vince?

Is Collins a better passer than Vince? He is more consistant right now and has a better grasp of game management. But he is not going to lead us anywhere. Atlease letting Vince learn will pay dividens in the future.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Collins had the same number of sacks as Young per passes thrown. Young wasn't more elusive nor was Young durable and for most of the year Young certainly wasn't scaring the hell out of anyone.

The only way most of you guys make any sense is if Young is 7'6, 500 pounds with a cannon arm that is more accurate than a lazer sight on a sniper rifle and the guy is playing with an OL and WRs who we just picked up at St Mary's house for the blind.

Get off of Young's jock and this isn't about Collins being better, it is about Young not being very good right now. You can bash the OL, the WRs and the coaches all you want and think VY is the greatest thing since sliced bread but the reality is living in fantasy land will just keep you frustrated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar