Dont we always say...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by QGP, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

i thought that of him too exactly lol and i like the pro style offense thing most along with his size....wisconsins qb has that too...only thing that i would change is i might go defense first 2 rounds and get a offensive lineman in the 3rd depending on what we get through FA but i lovey our theory....maybe you should take over for bud lol get a bruiser in the 6 or 7 round for goal line and short yardage

i think we could sign a good wr and by that i mean a solid #2 receiver unless we resign moss as i think when used on the field with kenny can still be productive if we get rid of him....we could sign braylon or steve smith to become our #2 instead of missed catch washington

first pick defensively-miller or prince if we get anyone else for defense at #8 it would be a bad pick in my opinion....

2. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

Yes they are similar I just think McElroy has better fundamentals. Tolzien seems to throw off his back foot a bit. At the end of the day if we drafted McElroy or Tolzien I'd still be happy.

3. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

I think our pick will either be Newton in the first or Kaepatrick in the second. Since Warren Moon whenever our organization was looking for a QB we have drafted large, athletic QB's with strong arms. Newton and Kaepernick are really the only QB that fit the description.

I wouldn't mind Newton provided that we trade down and grab another second round pick. The second round is filled with defensive play makers and we could grab McDaniel and Carter to fix to levels of our defense. Kaepernick would be nice and watching how hard he can throw is somewhat amazing.

4. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Ponder in the 2nd is the only thing that makes remotely any sense to me.

Locker can't even run a college offense.
    Mallett has a cannon but has too many questions about character, work ethic, etc.
    Newton can't even take a snap from center.
    Gabbert just plain sucks.
    Kaepernick is enticing but in the end, he reminds me of VY (maybe the number he wears or his horrendous release)

All in all, I say we skip the first year of this draft because something tells me that not ONE of these jokers will play more than 4 years as an NFL QB.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Tim Tebow is a legend in college football, but he sure wasn't a top NFL prospect. He was an amazing football player actually, but only an okay QB. He's looking pretty good now, and that gives me hope for our rookie QB we may have to get. None of these QB's coming up do much for me as of this moment.

6. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

I do not want Newton at all. Kaepernick I was fine with in the 4th, but his value has skyrocketed after the Senior bowl and will likely be a 2nd round pick, which is too high in my opinion. The QB that has cost himself the most is Mallett. Without his off the field concerns he would likely be the top QB in this class.
    With all that said, I hope we trade back in round 1 to get extra picks, take Akeem Ayers in round 1 and Ponder in round 2. The model this franchise had in drafting QBs before Reinfeldt has not worked. Time for a change.

7. Finnebosch

I'd say we are 1/2 with that model of finding franchise QB's. (2/3 if you count Moon even though he wasn't drafted). I can understand not wanting Newton in the first as it is dangerous to draft a guy you are uncertain with in the first round regardless of potential but none of this year QB class is a "can't miss" guy.

If you sit Kaepernick behind a guy like McNabb for two years I think he would succeed in an unbelievable fashion. As much as I love Ponder as a prospect (I was thinking of him as a potential first round pick this time last year) I do not think his ceiling is a top ten style QB. I think he will have a very solid pro career but I don't necessarily think he will be better then Orton or Collins when it is all said and done.

Kaepernick, however, has the tools to be an elite player in this league. If he is placed on a team with a good QB coach and a legitimate vet QB then I think he will be able to turn his athletic ability and arm strength into a top ten or top five kind of guy. The weird thing is it wasn't even his arm strength that got me excited about Kaepernick. It was watching him moving around the back field at the senior bowl and seeing him run around with his eyes down field. That IMO is the mark that a running QB can succeed in the NFL; when he is forced form the pocket and uses his athleticism to extend a play instead of just taking off a running.

8. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

I agree with what you are saying about Kaepernick, and would actually prefer him to Newton because of where each can be had in the draft. I do disagree on Ponder though, the QB in the NFL he reminds me the most of right now is Aaron Rodgers. I'll agree his arm may not be as strong, but he is very accurate, smart, good pocket presence, and mobile enough to make plays. The only thing keeping Ponder out of round 1 is his health.

9. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

I am a Badger fan, and I would not want to draft Tolzien. Fine college QB, but he will never see the huddle in regular season NFL play IMO. Same opinion about McElroy, whose performance in the Senior Bowl cemented my opinion.

I still maintain that there is no one worthy of being a first rounder in at least the first half of the first round. Pick D in one, see who is available in 2-4 (Ponder, Locker, Kaepernick), take the best available....if no one is there cut our losses and build the rest of the team. Whoever (if anyone) we draft needs to hold a clipboard for 1-2 seasons anyway, so we will be picking up a FA in the offseason near term.

10. Finnebosch

See when I think of a smart, accurate QB when good pocket presence, injury issues, and questionable arm strength I get Chad Pennington. I don't mean that as a put down either as I consider Pennington to be one of the smartest QB of all time but he never had that "IT" factor needed to win games. (I always said if you took his brain and put it in Vick's body he would be the ultimate QB.)

** I wouldn't mind Pennington as a back-up if we do draft Ponder though. Dude knows his football and would really be more of a second QB coach then a back-up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar