Dont we always say...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by QGP, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QGP

QGP MIKE HONCHO

You cannot pass on a franchise Quarterback? And new coaches especially Will take this risk because there isnt anything to lose, just to produce wins. And wins now adays come by way of QB

2. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I've heard that, but it's a moot point because there are no "franchise" QB's in this years draft. Got some VY's and Alex Smiths but no Bradfords, Palmers, Mannings.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

I agree...although I do like Christian Ponder..but he's not the type to come in and lead the team from day 1.

4. 24

24 Starter

Unless Gabbert is there, I don't think Reinfeldt takes a QB in the first. I'm speaking realistically here, I don't even like Gabbert.

5. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

I agree..I think they would take a long look at Gabbert if he were there. It wouldn't shock me for Zona to take him ahead of us though.

6. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I hope someone takes Gabbert before us because that's the only QB I think we would draft.

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Why the hell would anyone take a long look at Gabbert? I mean, there are at least a few decent options at QB. He's not one of them.

Who this kid blew to get his name out there overnight is beyond me, but I'll bet he starts charging after this draft.

8. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

how do you not know that there are no mannings or anyone like that in the draft though...you cant really say whether or not a college qb in the draft is going to turn out like the most successful qbs in the league today....we wont know if there are any franchise qbs in this years draft until they are giving a shot to lead the franchise...in my opinion

for me i could see most of the qbs starting eventually and notice i said eventually...

gabbert i believe could come in an do a decent job from day one but i think the rest would take at least a year under a veteran to understand the offense and have the leadership and mental focus along with the gameflow (even gabbert will struggle with the gameflow part of the game at first) that a qb needs in todays game

9. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

Here's my final take on the QB's take it for what it's worth. I have really watched as much video as I can on the guys and read just about everything I can find about them as well. I just don't have a good feeling about them as a group, more specifically the top guys (Gabbert, Newton, Locker).

When we drafted VY I screamed bloody murder at the TV, my wife is my witness, LOL. I just knew that it would turn out to be a disaster, I'm no prophet obviously, I just knew it in my gut. After going through five years of crappola with VY at the helm, I'm dreading suffering through something like that again.

Anyway, the guy I like in this draft is Greg McElroy... I'll try to make my case.

Physically he is good size, not great mind you but he's in the 6'3" 225 which is average I'd think.

His arm strength is adequate, no rocket for sure, but it seems as though he can make all the throws. He's not going to throw a 60 yard bomb, you rarely see passes over 50 yards anyway.

So, so far, he is only average size, with an average arm... nothing special.

Here's what I like about what I've seen of him...

He comes from a pro style offense, a run first offense, much like ours.

He's extremely accurate and looks like he throws with good anticipation "throws his receivers open". Very high career completion %.

It seems as though he really understands how to read defenses, he surveys the field very well, often times looking off safeties.

Extremely smart and well spoken, almost qualified for the Rhodes Scholarship.

He is the very type of QB that you'd expect to have some success his rookie year if he is forced to start (understands how to read a defense, accurate and has anticipation, will be the first one on the practice field and the last one off).

Best of all though, he's a very hard worker (or so I've read) and he has a chip on his shoulder to prove himself.

I'm not saying he's the next coming of Tom Brady or Payme Manning. He could develop into one of those guys but then again any QB in this draft could in theory. In our current situation he'd fit in nicely because we would not be reaching for a top QB with holes, while neglecting our defense which also has many holes as all of us can attest.

In a perfect world, If I were in charge, I'd draft defense the first 3-4 rounds and snag McElroy in the 4th or 5th. Ideally in the 5th but I have a feeling, after the combine, his stock is really going to rise. If so, gimme D in the first 3 rounds and if he's there in the 4th I'd draft him.

Just my opinion but I have a good track record with predicting how players will turn out, believe it or not :).

Check out his stats, pretty impressive...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=191494

Vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQPVv4pafN8

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

If you like Greg McElroy why not the better version in Scott Tolzien?

If we're just getting a QB that does nothing great and only plays it safe for 4 quarters- we can hire any vet QB for less money.

I've always seen McElroy (and I hate that he doesn't know how to pronounce his own name) as the weakest link on that Alabama team... so I of course wouldn't want him at the next level doing the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar