Don't re-sign Haynesworth.. yet.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by PitBull, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

No... not yet..

Ofcourse i want him and I realize without a doubt the significance of his presence on our D-Line. He's a monster..

It was evident during our slump from 1st against the run to somewhere around the last that we need him, and without him we go from being dominant to way below average.. but lets smack him with the franchise tag for one season instead of getting on both knees and handing him the long term fat check he's fighting for.

At times during the last few seasons i've questioned big Al's dedication and whether he's giving 100% to his game, and consequently his best performance only came on his contract year. He went from being average or above average to a monster and arguably the best DT in the league.

And the season he's giving us now is well worth atleast 2 of his 'above average' past seasons.. so I'm guessing the best way to be sure that he'll fight as much as he did this year for atleast another year is to put him in a situation where he's forced to fight even harder for a larger contract.. whereas if he goes back to underachieving, everything he has done this season would in someway be nullified and overlooked when its time to sign him in 09 causing his price to be decreased and GM's to think twice about outbidding us.

So.. Yes i'm all for keeping big Al and I'm all for making him the richest defensive lineman in the league.. but first he has to give us one more monster year. Heck.. after this season's performance I'm all for signing him regardless.. but lets milk him for one more season first.

2. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

No, give him a long term deal, and keep him in TN.

People keep saying "He plays well because it is a contract year.

But part of it is because after the suspension last season, he got some professional advice about improving his technique.
    Now, rather than getting angry, he simply dominates with legal moves.

It is not just a motivation for a paycheck, but rather, he has elevated his game.

Pay him and keep him.

3. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I agree.. Lets keep him in Tennessee..
    I haven't argued otherwise.. But lets milk him first and put him in a position to where he gives us another monster year.. but this time with a better roster and a more experienced VY, and Pacman returning.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i don't see how tagging him would be any different than him playing for the fat check. he's still technically in a contract year and would probably cost a hell of a lot more next year than if we gave him the long term deal.

5. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Why would you do that? If he wont sign then we should tag him, but if he is willing to sign no way do you tag him. That just means he will be an unrestricted free agent next year, and the Titans would have no leverage or no ability to stop him from testing the market.

6. JMB54

JMB54 Waitin on a Win!

Plus, it seems whenever a team tags a player all it does is make them want to leave for another team. My vote, which counts for nothing at all, is to lock him up as soon as possible.

7. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

DG.. we're going to pay him more than any other team would regardless..

Bigtitan.. His 'larger' check in 09 would depend on another monster performance in 08 as well as a test to if he can remain healthy. I really don't ever seeing him being more expensive in the future than he ever will be if the season was to end today.

I'm all for putting the 'Big' in 'Big Al' for one more season before taking the weight of his shoulders of impressing everyone in the league for one more year.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree with all the comments that state we should sign him long term. Our best deal is to sign him now. If we wait by franchising him it either costs us way more or we don't keep him at all.

I truly believe AH has turned the corner, is more mature and now that he has experienced success and gained the insight of what it takes to play at a pro-bowl level he will continue to do so for the next 4 years. IMO his first choice is to stay in TN anyway.

9. Rebel Titan

Rebel Titan Oiler Cannon Ball

I've seen too many players completely P.O.'d by the franchise tag. I don't understand thier reasoning other than they may be hurt during that period, but why alienate him by franchising him? Sign him to a long term contract, as a last resort franchise him.

10. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

maybe it is time we start looking at why we are so bad without him and address those issues? It is a given we lose AH for a minimum of 3 games each season he plays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar