Don't get your hopes up about Titans and WRs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

By favourite I meant to say Fisher favours the vets (ie. J-Mac). However Hawkins is a mid-round pick and is 'expendable' if he shows nothing. He wasn't a favourite because he was a 4th round pick and did not show enough to get much playing time.

I would very much like to see Hawkins as a starter as I think he has the skills to be one, but I wouldn't not be surprised if he is lost in the rotation.

Of course I think this becomes irrelevant if we do not sign Jones or draft a WR in round 1 or 2.

2. Nine

Nine Starter

I really like Hawkins. Watching his college highlight reels, I'm amazed at how much he looks like a young Chad Johnson. I was also very impressed with what little we saw of him this year....excellent body control, catches the ball cleanly, the works. He may not be the lightning fast deep threat that everyone fantasizes about...but then again, neither was Chad Johnson, and he's done pretty well for himself.

That said, I can't help but be concerned by Hawk's inability to earn playing time in a pretty weak group of WR's. It's been rumored that he struggled with the playbook, and didn't work as hard in practice as the coaches would like....but still, you'd think he should have gotten more than seven catches on the season.

(Although in fairness to Hawkins.....Mike Heimerdinger doesn't like to rotate his WR's at all. Never has. In a Dinger offense, it's rare for more than three WR's to get significant reps during the season. Even with a measly 7 receptions, Hawk was still the 4th most productive WR on the Titans' roster.)

There's no question in my mind that Hawkins has the skills and ability to be a damned good WR....possibly even a #1-type.

But until he actually turns that potential into production, WR is still the single weakest area on the roster....and I see no problem with using a high draft pick to address the team's biggest weakness. This would give the Titans two talented young WR prospects, effectively doubling their chances of finding a good one. (And who knows.....if they luck out and hit on both of them, Tennessee could very quickly have one of the most lethal offenses in the league.)

I'm not necessarily saying I want them to draft a WR; truth be told, I'd rather see them take a stud MLB in round one. But right now, the roster is such that they can afford to chance a high-risk pick in the first couple rounds.....and since WR is one of the riskiest picks a team can make, this seems like a pretty good time to roll the dice.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

If we do draft a WR#1, and start that WR, all he has to do is get 30 receptions to be considered an upgrade.

If we don't draft a WR#1, and start that WR, we will be the same team as last year with a glaring weakness.

I look at option A, and I look at option B, and I cannot help but think option A is very much the only choice.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2qhF2caUhrI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2qhF2caUhrI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

4. KY_Titans7

KY_Titans7 Guest

Heywerd-Bey would be perfect then. He's 6'3 210+ and runs a 4.3 40. That is if he is still available.

5. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I hope he's not another numbers Freak from Maryland. Vernon Davis(TE SF) hasn't put up anything resembling #5 numbers for a TE. Extreme disappointment. Maryland has a GREAT strength and conditioning program, unfortunately that doesn't mean they're Football players.

6. KY_Titans7

KY_Titans7 Guest

Heywerd-Bey will be a late first rounder, probably be available when we get on the clock(hopefully), there is a difference then being picked in the top 5 rather than late in the first round. I bet money that Heywerd-Bey would put up great numbers and probably be one of our best receivers.

7. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar