Don't get your hopes up about Titans and WRs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Ok, help me understand the logic of you two.

Gunnery Sergeant,
    I'll ask again, what makes you think that a draftee who gets drafted a year after Hawk, is going to get play time in front of Hawk?
    Let's review, our past five or six WRs we have drafted, none of them fit (physically that is) the mold that is required of a Fisherball WR.
    Sooooooo, unless we draft a Sweed/Gage sized guy, he probably won't run block any better than what we have. So what ability does that leave; running routes and catching passes. IMO, Davis and P.Williams do not have anymore pass catching, route running talent than Hawk does.
    And, given the fact that the WR has become a coveted position for teams as of late. I seriously doubt that if there are any genuine first round, stud/playmaker WRs available in the draft, especially ones built for Fisherball, they will be long gone before we pick. Now what does that leave? Later round, possible 'diamonds in the rough' WRs, much like Hawk is.
    Let's say we draft a smaller, burner type WR like DJax; talk about run blocking issues.
    So unless the WR can make an immediate impact (which like I said, none of those will be available when we pick), I do not see them starting in front of Hawk, or even CD or PW.

platham,
    Given the fact that C.Davis and P.Williams got drafted before Hawk and have seniority, I'd say that they would get playing time before Hawk.
    Plus, like I said, I think it's as much politics as it is talent. I mean c'mon, how in the hell do you think Reynaldo stayed on the field as much as he did?
    And I shudder to think that CD, PW or Hawk doesn't have as much talent (if not more) than JMac; I just don't see it.
    Tell me that the fact that JMac has played for Dinger before (on two different teams) didn't have anything to do with him starting before WRs that have more talent than him.

2. KY_Titans7

KY_Titans7 Guest

Just because we draft a WR in the first or second round doesn't mean that Hawkins will automatically be shoved back. That's why they have Training Camp. The best player will get the job.

3. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

That's kinda sorta what I was getting at. If we keep CD/PW, Hawk will have those two, and probably BJ to compete with in TC. If we resign JMac, however, I think I'll have to throw in the towel on our passing game.

4. KY_Titans7

KY_Titans7 Guest

If we keep JMac then all hope is gone with our passing game...

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Reggie wayne-30th pick

Steve smith-74th pick

Chad johnson-36 pick

TO-89th pick

Berrian-78th pick

I Bruce-33rd pick

Jimmy smith-36th pick

Hines ward-92nd pick

A Boldin-54th pick

Mason-98 pick

B Marshall-110th pick

L Coles-78 pick

Oh and desean jackson and eddie royal from the last draft taken after the 30th pick..

6. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

No one knew for sure how all those guys would pan out. They were no better in college than any of their first round hyped counterparts; Look at the true first rounders like Moss, Thigpen, Colston, Calvin Johnson, etc.
    Oh and what number pick was Hawk?
    He was right around 130 or 140 wasn't he? Not too far under B. Marshall. So why wouldn't you consider him a potential playmaker if you're going to list all of those guys above who were picked not THAT far above him??

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

They will be in the rotation simply because they are a round 1 or 2 pick.

That explains J-Mac starting...

Fisher plays favourites. Gage is #1 barring injury. Jones - if resigned - is probably #2.

Hawkins isn't in Fishers favour and could well be left out if we draft a WR early.

8. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

i dont care how far back the WR gets picked. just get us a tall guy with speed.

if we dont land one, then we still going to have WR problems. and i'll be here to say I told you so.

9. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

I don't disagree, but that's the problem. They shouldn't be in the rotation because of their draft status OR because the staff likes them. They should be in the rotation because of their (dare I say it)....TALENT!

And Reynaldo Hill.

Then WTF did they draft him?
    And why would Hawk not be Fisher's favorite? Because he can't run block? If that's the case then Fish needs to *****slap himself for knowingly drafting a WR from a known pass-heavy team. Common sense Fisher. Common sense.

10. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

We don't need a tall guy with speed. We need a guy who can run routes and catch passes, with speed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar