Don't get your hopes up about Titans and WRs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>We can talk about the Titans and wide receivers constantly -- from now until the end of Jeff Fisher's tenure as the team's coach -- and odds are, the majority of you won't be happy with what the team does.</p> <p>I do my part to relay the team's MO -- it's not going to spend a first-rounder (or maybe even a second-rounder) on a wide receiver, it isn't going to chase the top guys in free agency and it isn't going to deal for a top name.</p> <p>The Titans will look to add a speedy playmaker or two who will be a value and contribute beyond expectations. They will steer clear of anyone they think could underachieve, have constant hamstring problems or be an attitude problem.</p> <p>That is in this team's DNA, and it would be a major departure for them to do anything differently.</p> <p>Besides, as one participant in a recent AFC South chat said, why is everyone so obsessed with wide receivers? The Cowboys had them and missed the playoffs. The Titans didn't and had the best record in the league.</p> <p>Fisher basically outlined his thinking about wide receivers earlier this week.</p> <p>Here is the pertinent piece of the press conference (the italic and bold emphasis is mine).</p> <p><strong>On how high a priority it is to acquire a playmaking wide receiver:</strong></p> <p><strong>Jeff Fisher</strong>: We're going to try to upgrade our roster at all the positions. I thought Justin [Gage] made plays, Brandon [Jones] came in and made plays, I thought <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2673" target="_new">Justin McCareins</a> when healthy made some plays. But it will be a priority for us. <em><strong>I think Kerry [Collins'] play illustrated that you don't necessarily need what is referred to as a big-time weapon outside. [If] you get the ball off on time, people get to the right spots, you make plays.</strong></em> But certainly we're looking to upgrade that position as well as others.</p> <p><strong>On if he's disappointed that rookie receiver <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11371" target="_new">Lavelle Hawkins</a> did not make a breakthrough:</strong></p> <p><strong>JF</strong>: No, I'm not disappointed at Hawk. Hawk's going to be a good player. I'll give you an example, I had a real good conversation with a number of players as they were departing, <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8510" target="_new">Brandon Jones</a> in particular. I thought Brandon Jones improved significantly this year and I reminded Brandon about <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1263" target="_new">Derrick Mason</a>'s road and how it took Derrick three or four years. Despite the fact that you may not care for Derrick's antics on the field, Derrick is a real good player and it took Derrick time. You just keep working. You work to get better and then all the sudden it happens for you.</p>

More...

2. titans4life10

titans4life10 Camp Fodder

hmmm, the least amount of an upgrade they need to do to the WR core next season is just remove Jmac from it......thats an upgrade all in itself

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Is this a freaking joke??

The Cardinals, Ravens, and Steelers all have playmaking WRs. The Eagles added Desean Jackson from last year's draft and he's had a great year for a rookie WR.

One of these teams will win the superbowl, but all Kuharsky can add is "the cowboys didn't make the playoffs so WRs aren't important"

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

the 'ole addition by subtraction!

5. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

We might not need a top WR with Collins, but VY will be back at QB at some point, and thats when we will need a WR that can jump 8 feet.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Why? What is so amazing about 2600 yards and 12 Tds?

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Not amazing but solid considering our lack of quality targets to throw to.

All we really need to do is trade out j-mac for a desean jackson type guy with speed and our problems there are over. We also need to resign jones.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. KY_Titans7

KY_Titans7 Guest

We've needed some upgrades in the receiving core for a while now. I'd like to pick up Percy Harvin with our first pick this year in the draft or if he's not available, then pick up the best WR left. We've needed an upgrade for a while.

9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Paul speaks da truff. It's not really our style to go after WR's, so I don't expect seeing a big name FA (not like there'll be many anyway) or high draft pick.

I'd still love to see a Derrick Mason type here. I think he was under appreciated for the most part. Instead, it's more realistic to hope they resign Jones, don't resign McCariens, and Hawk steps up.

10. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Yeah, because after all Collins never once overthrew his receivers in the same exact fashion that VY did. :rolleyes:

If you're going to critique Vince, at least critique his sub par ability to read defenses, not his accuracy.
    Vince can throw just as far and as accurately as any other QB in the league. BUT, since he doesn't go through his reads and checkdowns properly, he tends to make hurried, inaccurate passes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar